View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumnersaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: change from xfce to kde Reply with quote

I have never tried changing desktop environments before so I am not sure what all I will need to do. I am interested in trying kde but have xfce installed. What I think I need to do is pull up the xfce guide and follow it in revers, then change to the kde profile, check to make sure use flags are set up for kde and then fallow the kde guide, then rebuild programs with kde support. Does my plan sound correct and am I missing anything?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing DE's isn't really too hard. For the most part, most of it is just installing the necessary packages. As you don't need to uninstall XFCE before you install KDE, they will work complete independent of each other. Personally, what I'd do is just leave XFCE installed, till after kde is fully setup and working properly. So, I'd go and use the kde guide, install kde; getting that completely setup to how you like; than if you really want you can remove XFCE afterwards. Otherwise, you can leave XFCE installed, as a DE to fall back to. The only part that can get tricky, is if you have to install systemd; in that you'd have to re-setup the system, and hopefully systemd won't cause too many problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: