Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Delete icon (and sources) from GNOME's Applications menu?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Delete icon (and sources) from GNOME's Applications menu? Reply with quote

Good day, Gentoo community.

I've recently been using a modified version of Gentoo with GNOME and I wanted to install Google Chrome as my default browser.
Emerging didn't work for me since the version I have of Gentoo is quite old (last sync was over 2 years ago) and I don't want to emerge --sync to update.
I did that previously and ended up with a corrupted make.profile and could not emerge anything anymore, had to reinstall gentoo from zero.

Out of that...
I tried to install Chrome manually following these instructions:
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?1283-How-to-install-Latest-Google-Chrome&s=57a0e54b3e4429ca7e180be3a0a4be40

And I ended up with a faulty Google Chrome icon under Applications -> Internet that doesn't even open anything.

Is there anyway in which I could remove such icon and everything related to it?

I don't know how to access that part of Gnome to delete it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you have a Chrome*.desktop in /usr/share/applications and ~/.share/applications and delete it.

You can also grab x11-misc/menulibre and use that graphical menu editor to disable/remove extra entries, if alacarte doesn't work for you.

I think one of the things you have to get used to with Gentoo is doing that emerge --sync and updating the world fairly frequently. You'll end up not being able to emerge anything anyway if you're really out of date...
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
See if you have a Chrome*.desktop in /usr/share/applications and ~/.share/applications and delete it.

You can also grab x11-misc/menulibre and use that graphical menu editor to disable/remove extra entries, if alacarte doesn't work for you.

I think one of the things you have to get used to with Gentoo is doing that emerge --sync and updating the world fairly frequently. You'll end up not being able to emerge anything anyway if you're really out of date...

Thanks for the response!
I already searched that path and there is nothing related to Chrome in there.
All the other Apps are there but that one.

Also, I don't seem to have any ~/.share/applications path, and trying to grab menulibre ends in nothing to download.
I already tried:
Code:
eix menulibre
eix menu

and I couldn't find anything close to that name
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

menulibre should be in portage. Just make sure you unmask the menulibre-13.04.17.ebuild version, the older ones don't appear to work properly on my newer builds...

... which is a problem because you haven't emerge --sync'ed... :?

If you still have an ancient install and have gnome2, you should also have alacarte installed - and that should be usable to delete menu items.

Using Gentoo you should play with and learn how to debug these merge conflicts. Running emerge --sync should work without any problems. Use emerge --pretend to get the potential packages that will be updated, and don't touch /etc/make.profile unless the profile you used disappears. (You can use eselect profile to choose new ones).
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
menulibre should be in portage. Just make sure you unmask the menulibre-13.04.17.ebuild version, the older ones don't appear to work properly on my newer builds...

... which is a problem because you haven't emerge --sync'ed... :?

If you still have an ancient install and have gnome2, you should also have alacarte installed - and that should be usable to delete menu items.

Using Gentoo you should play with and learn how to debug these merge conflicts. Running emerge --sync should work without any problems. Use emerge --pretend to get the potential packages that will be updated, and don't touch /etc/make.profile unless the profile you used disappears. (You can use eselect profile to choose new ones).

Hey thanks for replying!

I did install Alacarte, ran it and edited what I wanted and what not from the menu, but the menu itself doesn't update.
Alacarte does save the selected apps and if I boot it again it shows me the apps I have previously selected, although the main Applications Menu (or any other) do not change at all.

I am using Alacarte 0.13.2. Any suggestions as to how to update it?
13.3 gives me:
Code:
emerge alacarte
!!! Repository 'x-portage' is missing masters attribute in '/usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf'
!!! Set 'masters = gentoo' in this file for future compatibility

* IMPORTANT: 5 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

* Last emerge --sync was 2y 43d 15h 4m 25s ago.
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS   ~] gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.2.0.1-r1 [2.30.5] USE="introspection python -debug {-test}"
[ebuild     U ~] x11-misc/alacarte-0.13.3 [0.13.2]
[blocks B      ] <gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0 ("<gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.2.0.1-r1)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.2.0.1-r1::x-portage, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.2.0.1:3[introspection] required by (x11-misc/alacarte-0.13.3::x-portage, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.30.5::x-portage, installed) pulled in by
    >=gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.11.1:0 required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-2.32.1-r1::x-portage, installed)
    >=gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.27.92:0 required by (gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.32.1-r3::x-portage, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

And with 13.4 I get EAPI=5 not supported.

PS: I managed to delete the faulty Google-Chrome icon from the menu by following this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_Tips#Group_menus.2C_System_menus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: