Long compilation time and high temperatures
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laci92
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Long compilation time and high temperatures Reply with quote

I am aware that compiling large packages can take some time, but this is a bit odd. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E520 (Intel Core i5-2410M dual-core 2.4GHz Sandy Bridge, 4GB RAM, Intel GMA HD 3000 and Radeon HD 6630M graphics), but compiling Firefox took 51 minutes (checked with qlop -tHg). Also, when updating the system, compiling GCC took 35 minutes, GHC took even longer when I was installing Layman. MAKEOPTS is set to -j8 and -march is set to native. Also, when compiling larger (or lots of packages), the XFCE sensor viewer shows that the temperatures for core0 and core1 are 90 and 87 degrees Celsius, respectively. When the system is idle or when I'm browsing, the sensor viewer shows that the temperature varies: 47 degrees for both cores, or 52 and 50 degrees for core0 and core1 respectively.
Is something misconfigured (or not configured at all) that causes longer compilation times? The processor temperatures are also worrying me because I don't know if it is normal, and I don't want to burn my laptop.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laci92,

At high silicon tempretures, the CPU will go into thermal throttling. This slows the clock to stop the tempreture going higher and slows compiles an a result.

Using -j8 may be counter productive too. You are probably well into CPU cache thrashing, which happens when one jobs CPU cache is evicted to make room for another job.
All the extra fetches from RAM slow things down.

To help cooling, support the edges of your laptop with a couple of thick books. This will allow heat to be removed from the bottom surface.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max you should be running is -j4 with that processor.
It's a 2 core, 4 thread cpu
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to get a laptop cooling pad with fans, or, if you are a bit brave, apply some proper thermal paste to your C.P.U.'s heatsink.

Also: https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/make.conf.5.html

Quote:
MAKEOPTS
Use this variable if you want to use parallel make. For example, if you have a dual-processor system, set this variable to "-j2" or "-j3" for enhanced build performance with many packages. Suggested settings are between CPUs+1 and 2*CPUs+1. In order to avoid excess load, the --load-average option is recommended. For more information, see make(1). Also see emerge(1) for information about analogous --jobs and --load-average options.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really use no more than -j3. -j4 at most.

If you intend to use your laptop while compiling stuff then I recommend -j2, but you can decide that based on your own experience.

What's sure is that -j8 is only crapping the whole thing out. Your cpu has 2 cores so having four threads for each core will have quite a few side effects, the worst of them being continuous context swapping, complete uselessness of in-cpu caches and (probably the worst) the fact that your RAM will fill completely causing disk paging which will -to all purposes- convert your i5 in a pentium4 with ultra DMA bus mastering disabled while emerge is running. I think that describes it pretty well.

That temperatures are something to worry about, indeed. But you should check if you get the same lectures with other distros, and if you can indeed feel such temperature by touching the bottom of the laptop. Maybe it's just that the lecture is wrong.

Other than that, if it's a new laptop and you can confirm that the lectures are ok you should as for a substitution or a refund. By opening it you will void the warranty.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a long reply, but I was trying to press ctrl+f to see whether you had mentioned your fan, but it's next to w, so so much for that....

Do you hear the fan blowing when it is hot? You should. I have had two Lenovo laptops. One of them was 17" with an i5 (or maybe an i7), and it was silent (and cool) most of the time. When I was updating, though, as soon as the temperature went over 50, the fan turned on. It was quiet, but I could at least hear it. The temperature probably never exceeded 55 or 60.

My Lenovo L440, idles at about 35, and has probably never gone above 67. Something might be wrong with your fan.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of those notebooks i did maintenance had problems with the thermal paste.
A good thermal paste costs a few bucks but can save you a few degrees.
Dust in the system can also rise temperatures.
AFAIK every 6 months a notebook should be cleaned, sorry I can not quote the ressources

Some noteooks have poorly thermal design. therefore reading pages as notebookcheck or something else before buying hardware can prevent issues.

and temperatures around 90 degrees are no problems for cpus. the problem arises when the cpu starts to throttle because of poor thermal design or too safe settings in the bios from the manufacturer.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 is way too much and can't by any means be considered normal for any laptop cpu that I know of.

In any case, while admittedly it's not enough to burn most, it's definitely enough to harm nearby stuff in a laptop. Much more taking into account that most laptops haven't enough room for air to circulate.
laci92
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your reply. Sorry for my slow feedback, I was away a bit.

I will change MAKEOPTS to -j3, and I'll see how the laptop is behaving.

Quote:

Do you hear the fan blowing when it is hot? You should. I have had two Lenovo laptops. One of them was 17" with an i5 (or maybe an i7), and it was silent (and cool) most of the time. When I was updating, though, as soon as the temperature went over 50, the fan turned on. It was quiet, but I could at least hear it. The temperature probably never exceeded 55 or 60.

Yes, I can hear the fan blowing. The laptop works normally under Windows 7, and it is silent most of the time, with the fan blowing harder when running some heavier apps, like Firefox with lots of tabs with YouTube or other Flash content, or just running a bunch of various apps. I don't know what is the processor temperature in those situations, though.

Quote:

That temperatures are something to worry about, indeed. But you should check if you get the same lectures with other distros, and if you can indeed feel such temperature by touching the bottom of the laptop. Maybe it's just that the lecture is wrong.

Other than that, if it's a new laptop and you can confirm that the lectures are ok you should as for a substitution or a refund. By opening it you will void the warranty.

I'll check the temperatures with some live distro. I don't know if the laptop is still under warranty, I bought it about 3 years ago.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: