Wifi works but wlan0 doesnt support scanning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomeHammer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Wifi works but wlan0 doesnt support scanning Reply with quote

As the title says I have wpa_supplicant configured and on boot it connects to my wifi no problem
But when, in xfce, I try to scan for a network in wpa_gui or wifi-radar.sh it says that wlan0 doesnt support scanning
Also when I run iwconfig:
Code:
wlan0:  no wireless extensions

I just want to scan to select a network to connect to, I was able to connect to wifi because I know the ssid of my home
Since this is a laptop I need to go somewhere and connect to a wifi network
I installed network manager but I unmerge it because it didnt help and wifi stopped working at all
Also what do you recommend to use to connect to wifi on the fly (I dont really want to enter xfce, open up terminal and edit wpa_supplicant.conf all the time
I would be nice to have that little button, like in xubuntu in the top bar (the wifi button) how can I do that

Not on topic
Other problems I encounter:
Trackpad is to sensible in xfce even with sensibility and aceleration on minimum
When I boot up the system if the laptop is not connected by ethernet it stops 50s to wait for eth0 (this slows down my boot time), what can I do to change the waiting time to like 5-10s

Sorry for long post but I have already research for this and did not find an answer to my problems
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recommend your kernel have:
Quote:
-*- Networking support --->
-*- Wireless --->
--- Wireless
-M- cfg80211 - wireless configuration API
[ ] nl80211 testmode command
[ ] enable developer warnings
[ ] cfg80211 regulatory debugging
[ ] enable powersave by default
[ ] cfg80211 DebugFS entries
[*] cfg80211 wireless extensions compatibility
[ ] lib80211 debugging messages
<M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)
Default rate control algorithm (Minstrel) --->
[ ] Enable mac80211 mesh networking (pre-802.11s) support
[ ] Export mac80211 internals in DebugFS
[ ] Trace all mac80211 debug messages
[ ] Select mac80211 debugging features ----

Even if you use -Dnl80211 instead of -Dwext . In history nl80211 was calling wext ....

Code:
emerge ifplugd
checks, not connected, moves on
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wifi works but wlan0 doesnt support scanning Reply with quote

HomeHammer wrote:
As the title says I have wpa_supplicant configured and on boot it connects to my wifi no problem
But when, in xfce, I try to scan for a network in wpa_gui or wifi-radar.sh it says that wlan0 doesnt support scanning
Code:

I just want to scan to select a network to connect to, I was able to connect to wifi because I know the ssid of my home
I installed network manager but I unmerge it because it didnt help and wifi stopped working at all
Also what do you recommend to use to connect to wifi on the fly (I dont really want to enter xfce, open up terminal and edit wpa_supplicant.conf all the time
I would be nice to have that little button, like in xubuntu in the top bar (the wifi button) how can I do that

Not on topic
Trackpad is to sensible in xfce even with sensibility and aceleration on minimum
When I boot up the system if the laptop is not connected by ethernet it stops 50s to wait for eth0 (this slows down my boot time), what can I do to change the waiting time to like 5-10s

Sorry for long post but I have already research for this and did not find an answer to my problems

Try using dhcpcd to configure your networking. Follow the guide in my sig.
For a nice UI, try dhcpcd-ui with a GTK+ or Qt front end, although you'll need to add the ebuild linked in my sig into an overlay for a more reliable version.
HomeHammer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
recommend your kernel have:
Quote:
-*- Networking support --->
-*- Wireless --->
--- Wireless
-M- cfg80211 - wireless configuration API
[ ] nl80211 testmode command
[ ] enable developer warnings
[ ] cfg80211 regulatory debugging
[ ] enable powersave by default
[ ] cfg80211 DebugFS entries
[*] cfg80211 wireless extensions compatibility
[ ] lib80211 debugging messages
<M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)
Default rate control algorithm (Minstrel) --->
[ ] Enable mac80211 mesh networking (pre-802.11s) support
[ ] Export mac80211 internals in DebugFS
[ ] Trace all mac80211 debug messages
[ ] Select mac80211 debugging features ----

Even if you use -Dnl80211 instead of -Dwext . In history nl80211 was calling wext ....

Code:
emerge ifplugd
checks, not connected, moves on

ifplugd worked thanks, now the laptop boots really fast
But I recompiled the kernel with that option and still the same problem persists (im using genkernel to do so)

Edit:
I finnaly figured it out, my mistake, I was not booting the proper kernel (always booting the older one), Im not used to grub2
I had to manualy edit grub.cfg to put things to work

Last edited by HomeHammer on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
HomeHammer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wifi works but wlan0 doesnt support scanning Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
HomeHammer wrote:
Code:

Not on topic

Try using dhcpcd to configure your networking. Follow the guide in my sig.
For a nice UI, try dhcpcd-ui with a GTK+ or Qt front end, although you'll need to add the ebuild linked in my sig into an overlay for a more reliable version.

My problem is not with setting up dhcp, I can connect by wire and wireless but I cant scan the wifi around me
Ergo if I dont know the wifi network I want I cant connect to it, since I cant scan wifi how can I know what is available
Although I followed that tutorial and did not see any improvement
Also I wanted something graphical to do this work, I dont want to keep editing my wpa_supplicant.conf to connect
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A (dhcpcd-)GTK+ or (dhcpcd-)Qt SSID selection menu isn't graphical?

Did you want clippy to magically appear also? :twisted:

Unlike the other tools, the dhcpcd front ends talk directly to wpa_supplicant for AP scans so it might work for you.
If `wpa_cli scan_results` shows something, dhcpcd-gtk/qt will show it also.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: