When emerge fails to get files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: When emerge fails to get files Reply with quote

Technically, perhaps it is not right to say that emerge is getting the files, but I am not sure yet what all of the workings are behind this process. I suspect that it is actually the shell scripts behind emerge that are doing the work. Perhaps someone else can explain the whole process and comment on the validity of this method.

I am new to gentoo and am currently in the last part of my first install. I was trying to install xfree and the emerge scripts could not connect to a valid source for the XFree86-4.3.0-patches-1.1.7.tar.bz file. After several attempts I thought that I would ftp them to the computer, but alas, there does not seem to be an ftp client from the LiveCD. So I went to another computer and did a google search for the file name and found it on a UK server. I downloaded the files (I grabbed a few others that looked to be updates of the same vintage) and copied them to a floppy. I then took the floppy to the computer being installed and copied the files to the portage/distfiles directory. Next run of emerge for xfree seems to be running fine now that it has all of the files :)

For people real new to linux the floppy I used was from a windows box formatted FAT. The mount command needed is

# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

and then

# cp /mnt/floppy/* /usr/portage/distfiles
ben_h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, emerge runs 'wget' to fetch files. It's very useful for downloading things standalone, mirroring sites, and a lot of other stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: