dynamic IP without Dynamic DNS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: dynamic IP without Dynamic DNS Reply with quote

Why? Because.

Machine A has a static IP address and is on a fast net connection.

Machine B has a dynamic IP address, behind multiple levels of NAT.

I want to log into machine B from machine A WITHOUT using a dynamic dns server, but how would I do this? Seems to me machine B could ping machine A in some way on a regular basis to let A know its ip address. After all, I can ssh from B to A no problem, it's the *reverse* direction that's hard. I could start a demon on A that listens on a particular high numbered port for a connection, the client demon on B connects to that port, and drops its identity and IP address, maybe with some authentication. The demon on A then logs the ip to /etc/hosts (or updates the bind configuration and restarts if anything's changed) and we're off. Hackers might use this procedure to log in the bots they have infected, so there must be some code out there. As it happens I do control this bot, it's mine.

WHY don't I want to use dynamic dns? Because. So "just use dynamic dns" is not the answer I'm looking for, I know how to do that.

I know this forum loves a challenge.
javeree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is multiple levels of NAT, even dynamic DNS would present a challenge.
Maybe you would be ok with using zeroconf to broadcast B's presence by name and miniupnp to pass through the NAT levels. I think you should adapt the iptables rules that miniupnp installs for each NAT level.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not multiple levels. It was when my DSL modem gave out one local private ip address, then my wireless router gave another, but now they're combined. Anyway, DDNS worked sorta, but had other issues.
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all easy.

If you have a Machine in the Internet with a fix IP adress. You could build a VPN or SSH forwarding Tunnel from your dynamic Machine. That Way you could set up a "fix" IP Adress to that other Machine.

I did not setup this myself but i am sure that you could buy or lease a Ipv6 Address Range That you should route from the Static IP Adress to your Dynamic IP Machine.

But be aware that the connection itself, your Dynamic Client have to update and reinitialize the Tunnel. Its nice to work with, but a strange setup to find bottlenecks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: