Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any bloat-free replacement for x11-themes/skulpture?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Any bloat-free replacement for x11-themes/skulpture? Reply with quote

I've been using skulpture for years on non-KDE installs due to the (relatively) low amount of KDE crap it pulls in, but I was doing another install recently and the ebuild seems to have silently gained an unconditional requirement on kwin, and another half dozen packages as a result. No explanation given.

Do I have to surrender and use Qt's built in GTK2 theme? I'm kinda wary of relying on that too, given the horrible state of GTK2 support in Gentoo today...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, note that I didn't check myself, but, more than probably the kwin dependency is artificial and can be circunvented by just adding the ebuild to your local overlay, editing it to remove the dependency and emerging that instead.

If it fails to compile, then you will have to choose something else.

QtCurve can probably be configured to look like that, I have no idea if it's maintained nowadays though.

Other than that, there are few kde styles in portage, and I have no idea how much of that stuff there's in the net.

There are lots of gtk+ themes though, both in portage and online (not only in gnome-looks, also in devient art and a lot of other places). Gtk+ themes are not configurable at all, but you can find lots of them easily. A good thing is that the qt gtk+ engine works without a glitch nowadays. It's very difficult to tell a gtk+ from a qt application once you enable that one. Another good thing is that all you need is qtconfig to configure it (no systemsettings or kde control panel).

The gtk+2 status is bad in general (not only in Gentoo) but nowadays it still works fine, you just need to mask >=gtk+-3 and a few other things. Once done that, portage will continue to resolve dependencies without any problem and you can stay with 2.x, for now...

There are some applications that try to force you into 3.x, but just editing the ebuild works as well (i.e. bluefish and evince).

EDIT: By the way, these are bad times to worry about the future. You should really concentrate on solving the problem at hand. The status of Linux GUIs is shifting every one or two days, so I wouldn't worry about it. Who knows... next year your concern might not be just gtk+2 vs 3.x or qt vs gtk+, but X vs. something entirely different. If gtk+2 works for you, by all means, stay with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: