View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: E19 Enlightenment-0.19.0 Reply with quote

I have added enlightenment-0.19 to layman. It should automatically install all the
dependencies that upstream recommends: EFL, Evas Generic Loaders, Emotion Generic Players, and Elementary

For me, it seems to be better than Mate. Mate was really jerky resizing windows manually, and E19 is smooth and fast.

layman -a hnaparst
emerge =enlightenment-0.19.0
costel78
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it, graphics and effects are ok, but file browsing it's broken.
No files are show using file manager directly or when I try to set a wallpaper for example. If manually start nautilus from gnome files are show.

Any clue ?
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right, the Enlightenment File Manager is not working in the ebuild I shipped.
For file browsing, you can use thunar. That worked for me. I also had the problem
that no files show up on the desktop.

It might be that I didn't turn on a module, because it is rather unlikely that they
would ship E19 without a file manager. I'll look into that.

To be honest, the reason I wanted to try E19 was because it supports Wayland
without X, and I wanted to see what that was like. However, when I got into it
I found out that systemd is required, which makes the project quite a bit more
challenging.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it appears that the Enlightenment developers thought it was OK to ship without
a working file manager:

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T1612

This bug has been assigned to the lead developer on Enlightenment, and I
would expect it to be resolved shortly.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera overlay (available through layman) contains a working enlightenment ebuild. But efl is not entirely correct, you need to install libsdl2 manually (DEP missing).

But I need to say that I am not really thrilled by enlightenment anymore. I think the config is broken, again: Directory icons are not shown in file manager. I went into the settings dialog, changed theme/icon settings, but it never worked. Starting with my test user (empty $HOME) and magically icons showed up. As config format is binary I can't dig into it and look for the offending setting. Damn... I spent quite some time to configure enlightenment to my needs (shortcuts, timings, screen edges, ...), and everything would be lost if I remove e19 settings. Great...
But what bothers me most: After logging out of the session keyboard and mouse were "eaten", I could not change to a working terminal, even magix sysrq keys did not work anymore. Had to login remotely and reboot.

EDIT:
Just to make sure you get this right: file manager is working here, even for my regular user. It just does not show icons for directories, but I can see directory names. Furthermore file icons are shown.
I think you need to enable certain USE Flags.
BTW.: Which version of efl have you installed?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software, since this is not in the official portage repository.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sera overlay (available through layman) contains a working enlightenment ebuild. But efl is not entirely correct, you need to install libsdl2 manually (DEP missing).

Right. And in addition to the libsdl2 problem, sera was only at alpha2, which is why I forked his ebuild. I thought people would appreciate
an ebuild with all the dependencies.

Quote:

But I need to say that I am not really thrilled by enlightenment anymore. I think the config is broken, again: Directory icons are not shown in file manager. I went into the settings dialog, changed theme/icon settings, but it never worked. Starting with my test user (empty $HOME) and magically icons showed up. As config format is binary I can't dig into it and look for the offending setting. Damn... I spent quite some time to configure enlightenment to my needs (shortcuts, timings, screen edges, ...), and everything would be lost if I remove e19 settings. Great...
But what bothers me most: After logging out of the session keyboard and mouse were "eaten", I could not change to a working terminal, even magix sysrq keys did not work anymore. Had to login remotely and reboot.

I am hoping they fix these issues in short order. I am really sick of how slow MATE is. Please consider filing bugs upstream for these issues.

Quote:
EDIT:
Just to make sure you get this right: file manager is working here, even for my regular user. It just does not show icons for directories, but I can see directory names. Furthermore file icons are shown.
I think you need to enable certain USE Flags.
BTW.: Which version of efl have you installed?

Are you saying that with the ebuild I posted, without changing any default use flags, that EFM works?

I am pulling in EFL 1.11.2.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnaparst wrote:
Are you saying that with the ebuild I posted, without changing any default use flags, that EFM works?

No. I am saying that it works with the ebuild from sera. It seems it got bumped since you tried it last time:
Code:
     Installed versions:  0.19.0(0.17/0.19)[2](08:09:54 17.09.2014)(eeze nls pam systemd ukit -doc -egl -pm-utils -static-libs -wayland ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="appmenu backlight battery bluez4 clock conf-applications conf-bindings conf-dialogs conf-display conf-interaction conf-intl conf-menus conf-paths conf-performance conf-randr conf-shelves conf-theme conf-window-manipulation conf-window-remembers connman contact cpufreq everything fileman fileman-opinfo gadman ibar ibox lokker mixer msgbus music-control notification pager pager16 quickaccess shot start syscon systray tasks teamwork temperature tiling winlist wizard xkbswitch -access -packagkit -wl-desktop-shell -wl-drm -wl-fb -wl-x11")
     Homepage:            http://www.enlightenment.org/
     Description:         Enlightenment Window Manager (e16)

[1] "enlightenment" /var/repositories/enlightenment
[2] "sera" /var/repositories/sera

enlightenment overlay seems to be abandoned or whatever. Only contains outdated ebuilds, and ATM I even can't sync it.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, cool. I'll try sera's. He is a senior developer, so no doubt he has done more right than I did :)
Must have been a bad configuration on my part.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. With sera's ebuild I can see icons on my desktop and the file manager works. I got scared off by the way that the efl configuration script complained that he had disabled features that would cause enlightenment to fail, followed by the need to enable the flag

Code:
--enable-i-really-know-what-i-am-doing-and-that-this-will-probably-break-things-and-i-will-fix-them-myself-and-send-patches-aba

Since I didn't really know what I was doing, I decided to enable the necessary features to make efl happy. One of these must have caused the file manager to stop working.
costel78
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnaparst wrote:
Well, it appears that the Enlightenment developers thought it was OK to ship without
a working file manager:

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T1612

This bug has been assigned to the lead developer on Enlightenment, and I
would expect it to be resolved shortly.

Thanks for quick reply. It seem that file manager problem has been gone, except directory icon.
Regarding Wayland, I'm already on systemd due to Gnome, afaik wayland does not work with proprietary graphics drivers, right ?
I like the speed of systemd and simplicity of his init services, but I think the days when it will come with an integrated browser and mail-client are not so far away :D and that concern me. Why they can not keep it simple ?
Anyway, migration to systemd was painless for me a year ago.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have tried to get systemd running several times, and I have never succeeded in getting it to boot at all. The Gentoo wiki is quite terse and cryptic in the critical places, leaving me at the mercy of endless Google searches to try and resolve the errors. I think I shall just stick with OpenRC, which seems bulletproof and well-documented.
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harold for getting this ebuild published so quickly.

I'll try it out with Wayland in the next few days.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really interested in E19 because of the (supposedly) improved tiling module. However, installing systemd is a too bitter price to pay for that...
Is there any chance to get it working with OpenRC now?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
I am really interested in E19 because of the (supposedly) improved tiling module. However, installing systemd is a too bitter price to pay for that...
Is there any chance to get it working with OpenRC now?

Depends on what it really needs out of systemd - it's most likely logind, and there is logind-shim to get around that. I have no idea of what the status of logind-shim is in Gentoo.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not willing to use wayland, as long as it needs systemd to work.

But back to the topic now.

Yesterday I also tried to give E19 a shot, with the help of the E19 wiki, wondering that nobody mentioned it here nor the overlay it is using.
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/E19

But sadly my trying failed when it comes to compiling EFL, it complains to need Evas, Eina, Eet and Ecore.
But when these are installed manually before, it works as blockers. That is the downside here.

The good thing of the overlay, it contains two different sets which tells all the packages names I have to use, for installing a whole environment with all the new stuff and it gave the ability to unmask it easy with the help of portage.

Researching for trouble solving takes me to this thread, so I'm starting to try it with the sera overlay now.

Did anybody compare the actuality or the consistency of both overlays and could tell a bit of his founding here.

Best, Andy.
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Andy wrote:
I'm also not willing to use wayland, as long as it needs systemd to work.
Systemd is not mandatory to use Wayland. Me and other people have installed Wayland and Weston just to play around and you don't have to install systemd. You should read some Wayland how-to.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about wayland in combination with E19 and not with lower versions or generally?

Than I would thank you for the hint, rudregues.

Otherwise not. :wink:
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

README.wayland says you need systemd for now.

About the overlays, evadims overlay is one of the oldest enlightenment overlays there is. So he mostly concentrates on live ebuilds and isn't as active anymore as he was years ago as far as I can tell. Then there is the official one which hardly gets any love since enlightenment made it into tree. Last but not least there is my overlay. I maintain ebuilds for the efl stack for many years as I sort of dislike the official ebuilds. When there was a huge delay in getting merged efl into tree I decided to push my ebuilds to a public repo in the hope others have some use for it.

I consider my overlay consistent and the focus is on latest releases. About the quality of the ebuilds in my repo, well, I only really test my use-case, ie. hardly any of the more recent freedesktop inventions. If you run into issues feel free to drop by in #gentoo-e or even better send git-format-patches my way. :wink:
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference regarding wayland.
It's exactly what I thought it would be.

Many thanks for your explanation regarding the different overlays.
Lastly I got E19 working with the ebuilds out of your overlay.

By the way, I'm not pretty happy with the results of my Installation.
Some downsides I found:
As the devs wrote in some comments. E19 is a Monster and eat up all my memory. I'm using it on a N270 Atom Notebook with 1GB RAM and 4GB swap for compiling reasons.
In this constellation E19 takes all my memory and seems to done pre loading everything and slows down the whole desktop, including mouse movements an everything.
I fixed this with swapoff before logging into the dektop. Then it only uses my physical RAM and everything reacts pretty fast, as it should be.

But what I really dislike is, that every content and symbol into my menu bar flickers the hole time, but only there. The content of my windows, xterms, Browsers etc. is well formed. I'm using X into the same configuration as it works with lots of different setups on this machine.

That' why I'm actually trying LxQt, as a lean alternative desktop. :wink:

Nevertheless thanks for your work.
I guess its only a question of time, when it gets better with the development of E19.

Best, Andy.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E18 was similarly unusable for me - on a quad core desktop!

Sounds like I'll be sticking with E17 for as long as it's in the tree...
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-random question: what happened to those ecomorph? Scale was so useful, I kinda got addicted during the days, but now its gone and I'm woe (lol).

I also used some of the eyecandy ones for the glory.

Is there any hope to get those juicy Compiz-Fusion-like plugins back into E19?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: e-gtk-theme update Reply with quote

Just poping out to say that I took the trouble to update e-gtk-theme lately. I almost finished gtk+-3 counterpart and it's pretty good almost better than gtk+-2 overall. Screenshots can be found over here: http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php?content=156023. An ebuid can be found by following my sig.

Just posting hoping it will be usefull to others. Of course, qt users can take advantage of this by configuring...
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried E19 with wayland and enlightement_start was giving me an error (I cannot remember now, I will update this post once I get home and try again).
Is there any guide on how to do that? I mean, am I supposed to simply log in and run "enlightenment_start" right?
dkasak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
I've just tried E19 with wayland and enlightement_start was giving me an error (I cannot remember now, I will update this post once I get home and try again).
Is there any guide on how to do that? I mean, am I supposed to simply log in and run "enlightenment_start" right?

From README.wayland:

Quote:

Firstly, you MUST have EFL built with the following options:

--enable-drm
--enable-wayland
--enable-systemd

If you would like support for EGL in Wayland, then also build EFL with:

--enable-egl
--with-opengl=es

In order for Enlightenment to be compiled without X11, using Wayland
only, you will need to pass a few more options to the configure stage
of Enlightenment:

--enable-wayland-only
--enable-wl-drm

Note that there is no advantage to running wayland apps under X, and running X apps under Enlightenment's wayland compositor is currently not implemented. Also note that things are not ready for everyday use. There are frequent crashes, and performance is not up to par yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: