Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkasak wrote:
Note that there is no advantage to running wayland apps under X, and running X apps under Enlightenment's wayland compositor is currently not implemented. Also note that things are not ready for everyday use. There are frequent crashes, and performance is not up to par yet.

Thanks for the update.
You mean that wayland E19 has frequent crashes or E19 itself has frequent crashes regardless?
dkasak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
You mean that wayland E19 has frequent crashes or E19 itself has frequent crashes regardless?

Wayland-only E19 has frequent crashes. E19 by itself is quite stable; I use it exclusively on all my systems, and I don't put up with even infrequent crashes.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkasak wrote:
Holysword wrote:

Wayland-only E19 has frequent crashes. E19 by itself is quite stable; I use it exclusively on all my systems, and I don't put up with even infrequent crashes.

Great.
I just wish I had some of the compiz plugins (scale is the one I miss the most) and a decent systray. I love plasma's functionalities to be fair, but E19 plugins are some few light years behind that. Is there anything to control networkmanager from E19 or only Econnman?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use connman? Seems weird to pick a lightweight DE and then an enterprise-sized network framework...
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Why not use connman? Seems weird to pick a lightweight DE and then an enterprise-sized network framework...

Because somehow I have never managed to get connman working in the past 9 years. I have always used wicd instead, but saving my passwords in plain text format is a silly thing. Also the configuration of the network in the place I work is complicated and requires several hacks on wicd. Networkmanager not only works out of the box, but it allows me to not store the passwords in any way... it might be not lightweight, but its superior in every single other aspect I can think of. The reason why I like E19 is because it is lightweight AND superior in every single aspect I can think of.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I've had the exact opposite experience. NM has always been "that thing that never works because polkit" whereas connman is the only way I've got bluetooth tethering to work.

Not sure why you're worried about storing passwords; if someone can read the root-only files wpa_supplicant keeps them in they can pull them out of RAM just as easily using `strings`.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Huh, I've had the exact opposite experience. NM has always been "that thing that never works because polkit" whereas connman is the only way I've got bluetooth tethering to work.

Not sure why you're worried about storing passwords; if someone can read the root-only files wpa_supplicant keeps them in they can pull them out of RAM just as easily using `strings`.

I havent tried much bluetooh tethering or even bluetooth at all, except for headsets.

I'm not sure why I worry about the password thing either, maybe that's because I'm paranoid :P I also don't save (browser) passwords or use keyrings, literally, I memorize all my passwords. I like that now it asks me my password upon every connection rather than saving it somewhere, and I truly wish that all the bloody "remember my password" boxes of the world would be unticked my default.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
I'm not sure why I worry about the password thing either, maybe that's because I'm paranoid :P I also don't save (browser) passwords or use keyrings, literally, I memorize all my passwords. I like that now it asks me my password upon every connection rather than saving it somewhere, and I truly wish that all the bloody "remember my password" boxes of the world would be unticked my default.

There are passphrase that nobody care about... just generate random stuff and save it to file for usage and keep changing when you feel like it. Easy and secure. What are you after after all? Complicated thingies? No thanks. Paranoid? Encrypt your root/home with secure LUKS settings and save the meaningless pass then with random stuff to ease life and remember a very good passphrase to unlock root/home. Too easy for you? Wait, I don't care actually.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more a general question about where enlightenment is heading, so I'm not really sure if this is the right place, but does e19 allow you to disable the composite module? I updated to e18 when it came out, and the option to unload it was removed, so I went back to e17. I didn't like how e18 forced me to use composite full time. The nice thing about enlightenment, to me, is that I can enabled/disable what I want on the fly. It seems odd to me that I can't disable one of the more resource heavy modules, so I was hoping newer versions of enlightenment went back to the old model of being able to unload composite. However, today I accidentally updated from e17.6 to e17.9999 and even it forces me to use composite. The settings for it had a "disable" but it did all of nothing.

So my question is, does e19 force you to use composite? Is this how it's always going to be, and if so, does anyone know why they made this design choice? For now, I can sit on e17.6, but I don't know how long it'll stick around. If e19 seems like it'll never be appropriate, I'll have to start looking for other options.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't disable that any more - I've searched for that option too, because it's broken.

And 0.17.9999 is just the git repo 0.19.4 comes from. Gentoo's only active QA person left a few months ago so we're left with cowboy commits like this leaking into the tree.

I figure that at this point, if the only offer is a badly neglected WM that comes with no stability guarantees and no documentation, I may as well grab Compiz 0.9 from an overlay. It's less RAM and CPU intensive than E19. Funny, those used to be Enlightenment's main selling points...
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkasak wrote:
Note that there is no advantage to running wayland apps under X, and running X apps under Enlightenment's wayland compositor is currently not implemented. Also note that things are not ready for everyday use. There are frequent crashes, and performance is not up to par yet.
Aaaand systemd is mandatory.
dabicho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About E19 current state.
Anybody knows if the file manager is still incomplete? I can't find a way to create directories/folders.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabicho wrote:
About E19 current state.
Anybody knows if the file manager is still incomplete? I can't find a way to create directories/folders.
Don't know about the released version E19, but E from git has a working filemanager. I don't use it, but I just tested that creating directories works.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is usable, but there are some problems with terminology, and no Skype icon in sys-tray.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
it is usable, but there are some problems with terminology, and no Skype icon in sys-tray.
May I know what problems you are facing with terminology?

Skype not coming up in sys-tray is not surprising. They removed support for system tray, as we know it, from E19. The current system tray only supports appindicators. I am currently using stalonetray. If you really really need an integrated system tray, you will have to go back to E17 (skip E18 - that is a disaster of a desktop). For that, look into the E17 fork being maintained by the Bodhi guys.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there waws problem with closing terminal when several tabs opened, but after installing upower it seemes to have gone away.
rage quits with segfault.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
there waws problem with closing terminal when several tabs opened, but after installing upower it seemes to have gone away.
rage quits with segfault.
Strange. I don't have upower installed, but terminology has never segv on me. Earlier I was using terminology 0.8.0 using my own ebuild. Now I am using the git version, also using my own ebuild.

EDIT: There is not much a difference between my ebuild and the ebuild in portage. But my efl and elementary differs a lot from the one in portage - I removed almost all of the configure options.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are evas and efl in confilct ?
Code:
~ $ sudo emerge -avt evas

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/evas-1.7.10::gentoo  USE="X bmp eet fontconfig gif ico jpeg nls opengl png ppm psd tiff xcb (-altivec) -bidi -di
rectfb -doc -fbcon -gles -static-libs -tga -wayland -xpm" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse3" 9,242 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-libs/eet-1.7.10-r1::gentoo  USE="nls ssl -debug -doc -examples -gnutls -libressl -static-libs {-test}" 560 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-libs/eina-1.7.10::gentoo  USE="mempool-chained-pool mempool-one-big nls (-altivec) -debug -default-mempool -doc -memp
ool-buddy -mempool-fixed-bitmap -mempool-pass-through -static-libs {-test} -valgrind" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2" 9,476 KiB
[blocks B      ] dev-libs/eina ("dev-libs/eina" is blocking dev-libs/efl-1.15.2)
[blocks B      ] dev-libs/eet ("dev-libs/eet" is blocking dev-libs/efl-1.15.2)
[blocks B      ] media-libs/evas ("media-libs/evas" is blocking dev-libs/efl-1.15.2)

Total: 3 packages (3 new), Size of downloads: 19,278 KiB
Conflict: 3 blocks (3 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(dev-libs/efl-1.15.2:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/efl-1.15.1 required by (x11-terms/terminology-0.9.1:0/0::gentoo, i
nstalled)
    >=dev-libs/efl-1.8 required by (media-gfx/ephoto-9999:0/0::pg_007, installed)
    >=dev-libs/efl-1.15.2[fbcon?,sdl?,png,wayland?,X?] (>=dev-libs/efl-1.15.2[png
,X]) required by (media-libs/elementary-1.15.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    >=dev-libs/efl-1.15.2[X] required by (x11-wm/enlightenment-0.19.12:0.17/0.19.
12::gentoo, installed)
    >=dev-libs/efl-1.8.0[systemd?] (>=dev-libs/efl-1.8.0) required by (x11-misc/e
ntrance-9999:0/0::pg_007, installed)

(media-libs/evas-1.7.10:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    evas
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efl contains evas.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
efl contains evas.

got it.

i can't make skype autostart even it is in "Startup Applications"
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this thread die? Is there a new one?

I am having problems with enlightenement_remote:
Code:
† sleipnir † ~ $  enlightenment_remote -window-list
Window -- ID
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.enlightenment.wm.service was not provided by any .service files
† sleipnir † ~ $ 

Should I start yelling and blaming systemd or enlightenment is just not ready for it?
tbart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for econnman, see my update to the old e18 connman thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7894748.html#7894748
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: