Austrian Mirror wanted?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Languages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Austrian Mirror wanted? Reply with quote

Hallo!

Wie schauts aus, gibt es bereits einige gentoo-user in .at? Ich hab mir überlegt einen mirror in wien zu installieren (zumindest rsync, oder besser einen richtigen), allerdings hab ich keine ahnung wieviel traffic da auf mich zukommt bzw was der spass kostet.

sollten sich ein paar interessenten finden so könnte man das ja vielleicht gemeinsam aufziehen bzw finanzieren! wer lust hat mitzumachen bzw sich an den kosten zu beteiligen (den rechner sponsor ich, aber traffic krieg ich leider nicht gratis, das beste angebot, dass ich derzeit hab sind 70GB für 100euro) bitte bei mir melden (oder hier posten ;) )

---

i intend to set up a gentoo-mirror in vienna/austria, at least a rsync-server, but full mirror would be nice. but i have got no idea about what traffic this might cause and cost.

if there are more people interested, we could perhaps together finance it. I provide the server itself, but I cannot pay for all the traffic by myself. the current offer from my provider is 100euro for 70GB. anyone interested to help, take part and/or donate a little, please contact me or reply here ;)

* ElCondor pasa *
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things to be said straight:

I am offering a server and pay for it each month, keep it up and running. But I am not able to pay for all the traffic caused. Any information concering the mirror would be made public (to make clear that I don't want to enrich myself by doing this).

If there are any legal or moral problems about my intentions/ambitions, please let me know. I never ever before decided to actively support a (larger) linux-project, so if there are certain rules with that game I don't know them, please tell me!

If there are (enough) people interested, I will of course coordinate everything with the gentoo-developers or those taking care of the servers/mirrors so far, give them necessary access to the server, whatever is needed.

* ElCondor pasa *
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably should check with the admins of some of the other mirrors to see what kind of bandwidth they're churning through each month. It would not surprise me to learn that usage for some of the busier mirrors is 1TB+ per month.

Just crunching some theoretical numbers, a sustained usage of ~2Mbit/s over the course of a month would add up to ~648GB of data transferred in a month.

Not trying to dissuade you from setting up a mirror -- I think more mirrors are always a good idea. Just making sure you know what you could be getting into.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Languages All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: