View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: VMWare headers problems & gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r9 (1.4r Reply with quote

Hello world,
I emerged vmware-workstation and ran vmware-config.pl, which 'completed' but didn't make any modules for vmware. I suspect it is the headers problem that some people mentioned on other posts.
Has anyone succeed with vmware & gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r9 ?
I run gentoo-1.4rc1 compiled for athlon-xp. I also disabled "Set version information on all module symbols" on "Loadable module support" as mentioned on another thread but still the same problem.

.:: zen ::.
i_hate_your_os
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWare headers problems & gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r9 ( Reply with quote

zen_guerrilla wrote:
Hello world,
I emerged vmware-workstation and ran vmware-config.pl, which 'completed' but didn't make any modules for vmware. I suspect it is the headers problem that some people mentioned on other posts.
Has anyone succeed with vmware & gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r9 ?
I run gentoo-1.4rc1 compiled for athlon-xp. I also disabled "Set version information on all module symbols" on "Loadable module support" as mentioned on another thread but still the same problem.

Well, I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that this is possible; the bad news is you will have to hack on things. In my experience, the vmware modules fail to compile against gcc3.2 (that's what you have right?) because of (a) no built-in knowledge of gcc3.2 and (b) changes to the output format of "gcc -v".

To fix this, you basically want to do the following:

Go to /opt/vmware/lib/modules/source

Back up everything there since you are might screw it up during this process....

Untar vmmon.tar, vmnet.tar, and vmppuser.tar

Three subdirectories will be created. Go into each and hack on the makefiles until they work (basically you'll find conditional stuff in there pertaining to gcc-3.1. Make it unconditional, and you'll need to change some of the compile options too (by changing "-fXXX" to "-mXXX", or vice-versa, I can't recall which). Running "make" should work in each subdirectory or you are not done hacking.

Once all the modules are compiling, you're set. Now in each directory do "make clean", return to /opt/vmware/lib/modules/source, and re-create the tar files by tarring up the modified sub-directories and replacing the original tar-files with your hacked up ones.

Now vmware-config.pl should do the right thing.

I would give you patches but I'd prefer not to spread my kludgy way of doing this since it probably broke the already-working stuff for gcc-3.1 and below... and of course this may all be destroyed if you ever re-emerge vmware. But it does work, or at least it did for me. A proper fix would be to create a patch which fixes the gcc-3.2 without breaking 3.1 and below and then maybe stick it into the ebuild...

"All laws which are repugnant to the constitution are null and void."
-Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803)
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed your instructions and now the modules get compiled, however I get unresolved symbols on vmmon.o & vmnet.o on 'depmod -a' and vmware doesn't run. So I guess I must be doing something wrong. Is it possible to send me you Makefiles via private message ?

Elwood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Did you ever get this working? Reply with quote

Did this ever get working for you? What did you do to fix things up?

Thanks
Jim
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups. Just fell into the same trap (using gcc-3.2).
Hopefully the vmware-team will change their sources allow compatibility with gcc-3.2
Is there any new information available ?
Elwood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: I got it sort of working... Reply with quote

Not sure how good this is, but this is what I am doing...

Don't run the /etc/init.d/vmware script, instead I run the /opt/vmware/bin/wmware-config.pl script and let it set up the kernel mods. Then networking works for me with no problem. When ever I run the /etc/init.d/vmware script, it errors out and me and makes it so I can't run vmware anymore.

I assume that some changes to the startup script would fix things with no problem, I just have not taken to time to do so yet.

Jim
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using vmware on 1.4rc1 and gentoo1.3b gcc32 before and never had any problems with it.

Did you change the user adress space size in the kernel-config? Its default is 3GB and if you change that vmware-config fails to make the modules (but im not sure if its the exactly same error as described here).
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elwood:
I use the /opt/vmware/bin/wmware-config.pl script for configuration kernel-modules and the network-stuff. It seems to be perfectly happy but the start of vmware fails "someting like vmware is not configured to kernel ..". It fails with /etc/init-d/vmware start or vmware.

Smolch:
I dont think i changed something in the user adress space size in the kernel-config, but thanks for the hint i''l check it.

What makes me wonder is that no errors pooped during module make but vmware complains about missing config. Could it be a path issue ?
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone resolved this issue ?

I'm left with no idea and i'm not inclined to switch back to gcc-2.95 only because of vmware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: