Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglyb0b wrote:
I think that if you want portage you should use Gentoo.

Not necessary. I used Portage to deploy customized Cygwin distros and it saved a lot to me. And I don't think I did anything wrong. Despite the fact that I like to think of myself as a software purist too :)
provicemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason saying something like 'if you want to use portage, then get gentoo' feels as wrong to be as 'if you want to use MS Office, then get windows'. That just doesnt seem fair to me, it seems greedy.

I rather share portage than force Gentoo onto someone. but i dunno, maybe i'm crazy or something
uglyb0b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
uglyb0b wrote:

Not necessary. I used Portage to deploy customized Cygwin distros and it saved a lot to me. And I don't think I did anything wrong. Despite the fact that I like to think of myself as a software purist too :)

I mean installing portage on other distributions and using it for everyday package management and installing, alongside crappy rpm or deb.

provicemo wrote:
For some reason saying something like 'if you want to use portage, then get gentoo' feels as wrong to be as 'if you want to use MS Office, then get windows'. That just doesnt seem fair to me, it seems greedy.

I disagree. Portage is Gentoo. Portage is at the heart of almost everything you do in the enviroment. Think about Gentoo without Portage. It's pretty much just slackware or linux from scratch, isn't it? You never hear of us installing apt-get on Gentoo, or rpm (aside from rpm2targz) on gentoo, do you? And whats so bad about switching to gentoo? It's not that hard.

Linux geek and Mac whore.
sirro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglyb0b wrote:
I disagree. Portage is Gentoo. Portage is at the heart of almost everything you do in the enviroment. Think about Gentoo without Portage. It's pretty much just slackware or linux from scratch, isn't it? You never hear of us installing apt-get on Gentoo, or rpm (aside from rpm2targz) on gentoo, do you? And whats so bad about switching to gentoo? It's not that hard.

Lets turn it around and say: The Linux-Kernel is the second heart of gentoo, without that kernel Gentoo would be useless at all. Think about Gentoo without Linux-Kernel.
But you have heard, that other distros are also using that Kernel, rigth? So whats the problem?

Installing portage in other environments is nice. Sometimes it seems very useful (portaris) and sometimes it seems like only proof-of-concept (cygwin). Why don't show anyone that portage is portable and why don't let people who like participate from that?

Everyone should decide for himself what he wants. Thats (part of) what GNU/Linux is about: Freedom of choice...

BTW: This does not look like noone is interested in rpm on gentoo: ;-)
Code:
*  app-arch/rpm
      Latest version available: 4.2_pre069
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 8,508 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.rpm.org/
      Description: Red Hat Package Management Utils
      License:     GPL-2 LGPL-2
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglyb0b wrote:

Similarly, if you want Debianutils (http://gentoo-portage.com/search-result.php?search=debianutils) you should just switch to Debian, right? :roll:
hulk2nd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the interesting thing in the whole idea is, to combine the package system of a big binary distro with the package system of a big distro that uses sources.

two advantages: packages can be installed fast AND you can always be up to date.

and if both package systems could use the same backend (database ...) this would be dreamlike :P

greets,
hulk
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I read about 2.5 pages of this thread (sry, too lazy to read the whole thing) and I just don't see why someone would be willing to invest the time to install portage but not Gentoo...

I guess there are reasons why, though, as the original poster wouldn't have posted if he didn't feel portage could be useful in another distro.

However, although portage is absolutely wonderful, one other huge reason I use Gentoo is choice, flexibility, and it's streamlined! Fedora is utterly bloated (yeah, I know someone might chime in and argue about this one; there are like 50,000 deamons running when you first boot that distro! -- maybe a slight exaggeration, but still, it gets my point across nonetheless).

Anyways... Gentoo's heart is portage...but, hey, that's OSS -- you gotta take the pros with the cons. If they want it, it's free (and openly available). I think Gentoo (the real definition of Gentoo -- the whole package) is indeed for those willing to build a system from the ground up the way they want to (okay, it's not LFS, but whatever -- it's flexible and "built for me" in many different ways). If someone just wants an easy way to compile something onto their Fedora system, oh well, their loss! They're missing out on Larry and all the cool Gentoo stuff that comes along with it :D
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage is a package mgmt system for compiling from source, and for unix systems like solaris etc. it is perfect for getting the best of "open" world. one may not have the option of re-installing another OS on the system. fedora may not be a good example...after fedora, I ported portage to solaris and it works well after some patching. go here for screenshot of kde3.2 on solaris 2.6:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=113387&start=100
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone succeeded with Portage on OS X? I found fink so boerken (comparing to Portage on Gentoo), but I have several reason still to stick to OSX on that Mac (instead of going with Gentoo/PPC there). If anyone succeeded with Portage/OSX then I'll give it a shot (instead of fink).
Epcylon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd like to make one point regarding the last page or so of this thread, before I ask my own question...

You could also think of it like this... once you install portage on a box running some other distro, and use it as the primary way of installing software. Haven't you in fact turned the box into a gentoo box? :roll:

Now on to my question..

I have the dubious honour of being allowed to install software on a shared location on our uni network. This is for so-called unsupported software that the sysadmins doesn't want to bother with. I'd like to use portage for it, but there are a few problems I don't know if we could get around.

First of all. I can't touch *anything* outside the location given to me (namely /site/hacks ... don't ask ;)) so anything installed would have to live happily in that location. Second, I don't have root access or any kind of elevated access beyond being able to write to that location. So any changes to files in /etc are out, and placing of files in /etc are out, placing anything in /usr or /var is out.

Is it possible to get portage working under these conditions, and what would I have to do to get it done?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try to follow the thread for portaris posted two posts above this post by me. On solaris, I completely installed it in /home/<user>/portage/ as ROOT, hence pkges install in /home/<user>/portage/usr. There are quite a few changes(most documented in that thread) required but it can be done.
jhoh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Possible to use only .tbz2 Reply with quote

Everyone,

I have successfully used this script on Fedora. Great work. My real question, however is if this script can be used without a local compiler. Follow me:

My idea is to use a central Gentoo server to build packages in .tbz2 format under /usr/portage/packages/<cpu> where <cpu> is p3, p2, p4, etc. With the packages built with an appropriate make.conf for the targeted platform.

/usr/portage would be an NFS mount containing the portage tree and the .tbz2itized (sp?) packages.

I can then uncomment the "emerge sync" line from the script, copy over the make.conf from the server that created the .tbz2's (from the <cpu> directory), and change the "emerge -O portage" and "emerge -O gawk" lines to "emerge --usepkg -O portage/gawk".

Wouldn't this allow me continue on with "emerge --usepkg <package>" and, assuming .tbz2's existed for all dependencies in /usr/portage/packages/<cpu>..., then the Fedora machine would never need to compile a thing...right?
cork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently a total linux noob who is running a Mandrake 10 dual boot with WInXP. I've been having a lot of trouble installing software using rpm's because of missing various dependancies. I heard that their are ways that the dependancies can be worked out automatically but am unsure of how to install the program to do this. I've been reading your thread but am totally lost with what to do. I uncompress the portage tarball for my arch(x86) and then tried to run your script. The script seemed to run fine but then i looked and their is no /etc/portage folder and though i can use emerge nothing goes through succesfully. Please tell me what other i need to provide if neccessary. I"ve tried to emerge a few programs now and i notice that this comes up from time to time

/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 238: einfo: command not found

and things of that nature
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the post fully, its just four pages, I remember its been dealt with. in mozilla, on each of these four pages, press '/' and then type "einfo". If I remember correctly, file /sbin/functions.sh should be present and /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions.sh should link to it, but make sure to double check.
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should bite my tongue, and I apologize for coming into the thread so late and I understand that i cannot understand the entire context of this discussion. That being said, I must respond to the following:

Quote:
They have removed the x86 rescue tar from portage, may be thinking it was like giving portage away to non-gentoo distros too easily...using the script isn't very tough either....so, what's next, remove this post? guys, relax! once people realise the beauty of portage, they will all be Gentoo anyway!! So, take it easy and let everyone cherish the beauty!!

If that's true, it sure seems as if that's going against the true spirit of Open Source. But then again, like I said, I came in late, and this response probably isn't worth much, so forgive me if this has already been addressed and/or I'm not understanding things clearly...

James
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant get it to work on damnsmall linux (debian based)
Code:
ln: `./fixpackages': File exists
ln: `./etc-update': File exists
ln: `./env-update': File exists
ln: `./emerge-webrsync': File exists
ln: `./ebuild.sh': File exists
ln: `./ebuild': File exists
ln: `./dispatch-conf': File exists
ln: `./archive-conf': File exists
ln: `./xpak': File exists
ln: `./repoman': File exists
ln: `./quickpkg': File exists
ln: `./portageq': File exists
ln: `./g-cpan.pl': File exists
ln: `./emerge': File exists
/usr/bin/env: python2.2: No such file or directory

Something wrong. Get /usr/portage/profiles dir from a working
Gentoo system and try again.

an yes i have done
Code:
Something wrong. Get /usr/portage/profiles dir from a working
Gentoo system and try again.

no biggie tho
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably have python 2.3 and older version of file /usr/lib/portage/bin/emerge which refers to python2.2. easiest solution is to edit that file and replace python2.2 with python
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool!!!!!!!! finally got it running on my Fedora Core 2 box, thanks a lot! I hope you could write a complete howto on this topic and post it upon www.tldp.org, so all linuxers can benetfit from your efforts.
A smile of joy since I was born.
emily bronte
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm trying to get this to work on a default install of Mandrake 10.0. I used your script to install portage and it works... for the most part. Your script was able to update portage to the most recent version (2.0.50-r8 ) but during the same runtime it failed to emerge gawk.

Code:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/gawk-3.1.3-r1 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) gawk-3.1.3.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gawk-3.1.3.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/gawk-3.1.3-r1/work
 * Applying 64bitnumfile.patch...

* Failed Patch: 64bitnumfile.patch!
 * Include in your bugreport the contents of:
 *   /var/tmp/portage/gawk-3.1.3-r1/temp/64bitnumfile.patch-6499.out

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/gawk-3.1.3-r1 failed.
!!! Function epatch, Line 322, Exitcode 0
!!! Failed Patch: 64bitnumfile.patch!

I also tried to emerge openbox as a test of portage's functionality but it failed due to another epatch error.

Thanks for the script and the support of this excellent project.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k1 wrote:

* Applying 64bitnumfile.patch...

* Failed Patch: 64bitnumfile.patch!
* Include in your bugreport the contents of:
* /var/tmp/portage/gawk-3.1.3-r1/temp/64bitnumfile.patch-6499.out

well you could have included that file...anyway, "emerge patch" first and then post any errors you get...
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the quick response. patch emerged just fine however gawk still provides some errors.

Code:

/bin/sh: line 1: yacc: command not found
make[2]: *** [awkgram.c] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gawk-3.1.3-r1/work/gawk-3.1.3'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gawk-3.1.3-r1/work/gawk-3.1.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I tried looking for a yacc ebuild but couldn't find one. My guess is that it's some sort of C++ development thing. I did use the development install option for Mandrake.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have yacc ebuild in the portage tree somewhere. try:

Code:
emerge dev-util/yacc
emerge sys-devel/bison
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Yacc was merged sucessfuly but bison failed due to not having "GNU M4 1.4". I was trying to emerge bison without dependencies. Should I just go ahead and emerge bison and it's dependecies and see if that helps it install? I did use your handy little script to prune all the "dangerous" packages out of the portage tree so I am safe to just use emerge normally?

Thanks for your time and paitence.

UPDATE:
Sweet, I got gawk to emerge! That was the only thing that failed when I ran your script so I'm assuming I'm good to go. Portage is update to date and everything. I used your package.mask to prune my portage tree of anything "dangerous" so can I now use portage like I would on a normal gentoo system? Can I just go ahead an emerge gnome?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k1 wrote:
Portage is update to date and everything. I used your package.mask to prune my portage tree of anything "dangerous" so can I now use portage like I would on a normal gentoo system? Can I just go ahead an emerge gnome?

yes. gnome is very straightforward...just double check with "emerge -pv gnome" before emerging though.

remember that whenever a new version of the "dangerous" pkgs is available, the effect of the inject is gone...that means you should always sync your portage tree with that little script. name it as "injectPackages" and cron schedule to run once a week or a day (your choice), but never do "emerge sync" alone.
geforce
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I have the EMERGE command if I install Gentoo's portage on RedHat for example ?
User #29433
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: