Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondshadow wrote:
amax, have you ever cataloged the files on a typical system?

secondshadow, you are completely right. ReiserFS is totally better then ext3 for almost any targets. except if we need full-mode journaling. and if we need strong compatibility with standard users.

I only tried compare XFS and ReiserFS .. and... my opinion ... XFS works better for samba, for working with video files and music and for mysql/postgres databases.

my perfomance tests show me +30% perfomance after I had moved my large mysql database (not so large, but it is about 700 mgb, my oracle baseas take about 40 gig disk space)

Reiser is very good filesystem. But as I know, it have some incompatibilities with LVM ? :)
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go back and read your previous statements, you make more comparisions to ReiserFS vs ext3 than you do XFS.

Quote:

reiser is stupid and slow thing..
all other fs same

Quote:

secondshadow, you are completely right. ReiserFS is totally better then ext3 for almost any targets. except if we need full-mode journaling. and if we need strong compatibility with standard users.

I hate it when people contradict themselves. If you are going to argue a point, be consistant.

WARNING!!!!! RANT BELOW

<RANT>

amax, just stop, okay? Just stop right now before you make yourself look stupid. I really really hope that I never have to deal with someone like you in a professional environment while evaluating a product. I can see it now: "This is really stupid and slow. But it is a better product for almost all target enviroments than the most popular alternative."

</RANT>

ugh....I hope my CLEP towmorrow goes better than this thread has....
amax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK :-)

Quote:

I hate it when people contradict themselves. If you are going to argue a point, be consistant.

looks like peoples cant change own IMHO after reading documentation ? :)

ok, my first post about reiser was bad. I am sorry. My expirence with reiserfs was with early reiserfs stage. At that time it was equal NTFS or JFS at stability or perfomance or recoverable level.

next. specially for secondshadow

Why you made public "shortcut" for me about "stupid"? :-)
I am not a professional at all. And really really hope that professionals here will be more patient and fiendly with beginners. And maybe you will take a look around you for searching much stupid users then me, and next will make much smilles here :D

STOP. STOP. STOP. STOP.
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd bothered to pay attention I put that comment in a section specifically with that warning RANT, and besides that I didn't call you stupid, I warned that you were at the risk of looking stupid. Not only that, but you just admitted to not knowing what you were talking about to begin with:

Quote:

ok, my first post about reiser was bad. I am sorry. My expirence with reiserfs was with early reiserfs stage. At that time it was equal NTFS or JFS at stability or perfomance or recoverable level.

As for changing you opinion after reading the docs, again, read the progression of your posts. What you look like is that you posted something that was downright argumentative, then got irritated when multiple persons called you out on it. THEN you (maybe) went and read up on what the discussion was about and said "errr...oops....maybe I wasn't right after all" and posted a statement that completely contradicted your original statement without mentioning the fact that you actually bothered to do some research. What it looked like to me was that you simply changed your opinion because everyone else said you were wrong. I've seen this happen more than once, and its irritating to deal with.

Also, why in the WORLD would you comment on the performance of a final product based soley on the performance of an "early stage" (beta I'm guessing) is beyond my comprehension. Thats like someone saying "windows XP is the most unstable pos in the world" based solely on a Windows XP Beta RC1 release. While I would agree that its not the most stable platform, the current product does tend to work better than its "early stages" did.

Next time, try something like:

Quote:

Well, my experiance is based on an early version of ReiserFS and I found it to be rather slow and unreliable.

That'd probably have gone over better.
amax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also for reiserfs fanatics :)

my personal latest problem on my /home was

Fatal corruptions were found, Semantic pass skipped
There were found 17 corruptions which can be fixed only during --rebuild-tree

and fixing was _5_HOURS_ on my 160gb drive

next. if I working with MIXED fies many small and (like wideo in *.jpeg)
and some BIG video files.. then... IF MY BIG FILE is very high fragmented, ALL disk partition working slow slow slow.. even on EXT3 work with very fragmented files will be faster.

next. reiser used fixed block size 4k ? or now it is flexible?

next. tailing option increase fragmentation and decrease recoverable. if notail, it will more compatible with lilo etc, but key perfomance feature "integration tailed file into B-Tree" will be off.

Reiser use only metadata journaling - not full journaling - with ext3 it is possible to use full journaling.

NEXT. on RAID level 5 :) try check perfomance with reiserfs ?! it will equal with ext3 even on READ. on write it will be slowly (only my IMHO, I tested it)

next. recovery level. on ext3 ANY even it is very small change in data ANY action performing writing of full journalig block with metadata. power interrupt give me minimum surprises on ext3 instead...

it is only my IMHO. for servers where is used ext3 on / and /usr with -j it maybe much stable, recoverable.

for specific things reiserfs is much better.

for disks with bad blocks XFS and ReiserFS is not acceptable.

for stupid users "like me" ext3 is good because they are belive it :)

on amd64 env it is not tested for me..

at home workstation I am preferred to use XFS

amazing etc # mount
/dev/hda6 on / type xfs (rw,sync,noatime)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
/dev/hda7 on /var type xfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/hda8 on /usr type xfs (rw,sync,noatime)
/dev/hda9 on /var/log type ext3 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda10 on /tmp type xfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda13 on /home type xfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 type vfat (rw,umask=000,codepage=866,iocharset=iso8859-1)
none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/sr0,fs=iso9660,--,unhide)
none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=koi8-r,umask=000)
none on /mnt/flash type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=auto,--,iocharset=koi8-r,umask=000)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
amax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

info from http://www.namesys.com/

Reiser4 is in final testing, and will ship soon!
etc..

good news!

Soon I will try reiserfs again :))
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax: once again I never called you stupid. As far as you finally reading up on the FS, good for you. I'm proud. As far as bad blocks on the disk...well...if your disk has bad blocks you've probably got more problems than you realize. Quite often bad blocks are a symptom of HUGE problems in the future and the disks should (usually) be removed as soon as possible in my experiance...ESPECIALLY in a server environment. You really don't want the server going up due to a hard drive failure.

As for 5 hours? Don't know what to tell you. I use ReiserFS partitions in the 40-60 gig range. I've had to do a rebuild-tree maybe 3 times, two of which were using an early stage ReiserFS (def: early stage - just out of beta) after power failures. It didn't take nearly that long and that was a slow machine. On my old AthlonXP 1600+ a rebuild tree on a 60 gig partition only took like 5 minutes or something like that. Don't know what to tell you beyond that, and the only times I've EVER had to do that are on power failures...maybe one of the times was a nasty hardlock but that was my fault anyway and it was a test-machine to boot, lotsa experimental stuff. So if its a production machine, you might consider a UPS that can warn the kernel of the power failure so the machine can go down safely.

As for fragmentation, I've never had the speed problems with fragmentation personally and I store files of a fair variety of sizes ranging from cookies up to 3.2 gig drive images formatted with ReiserFS themselves for cross-compiling for my K6-2 downstairs. I've never had a performance problem, even with the Reiser-in-Reiser situation.

This thread has just become a stupid flamewar (the thread being what is stupid not you amax, just so we're clear). I think I'm gonna unwatch it just so the temptation to post is removed.
[Ag]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondshadow wrote:
... And I use ext2 for /boot and I've not had any issues. I don't quite get the point of journaling a 100MB filesystem that never gets mounted "rw" anyway, personally.

I use my main filesystem type, reiserfs, for my little /boot. It doesn't matter that this filesystem type might not be ideally suited for a small and rarely-used filesystem. It's more important to enchance simplicity and consistency, eliminating an otherwise unused filesystem type from my rig and making all my filesystems the same type.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax wrote:
But as I know, it have some incompatibilities with LVM ? :)

ReiserFS on LVM2 works just fine for me...
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax wrote:
hehe...

reiserfs is not acceptable choice under highl load env..
and, also, reiser is very specific fs. many small files warehousing ...

In that case XFS is "very specific FS" as well. It does well on large (think gigabytes) files.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for ReiserFS. Been running perfectly, and a lot more efficiently than ext2/ext3. It's also survived a dual power surge(first surge probably didn't hurt much; second was right in the middle of the bootup process! ) I needed to restore one file from backup. Everything else was A-OK.

(side note: I got my system running back in Jan, when the liveCD's didn't support SATA, so I needed to bootstrap from an ancient 1GB drive. ext2 couldn't fit the kernel source/build on a 1GB drive. reiserfs could. :D )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: