FAT32 issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogosjoh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: FAT32 issues Reply with quote

I'm not really a newbie, but this is a pretty dumb question, so I figure that it should go here. Anyway. I have 2 big FAT32 partitions that I use to share data between WinXP and Gentoo, and usually (Gentoo 1.2) I was able to mount them just fine (VFAT, fstab line is /dev/hda5 /storage1 vfat noatime 0 0), and then chmod -R 777 /dirnamehere them to give access for writing to them as my regular user account (I'm not too worried about the security of the data or anything, it's pretty much all open shares, anyway). Anyway, now, I can no longer chmod the partitions to allow for my user account to write to them. The chmod appears to go through, but then when I ls -l they are still write only for all but root. This is rather bothersome. Any help appreciated.

-John
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your /etc/fstab, put in the "users" option, and then mount as a normal user, ie "mount /dirnamehere". That's what I do and it works everytime.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: