View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falljer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: KDE install for a newbie. Reply with quote

I'm a little confused, hoping someone can help me out and set me straight. Last weekend, I setup a Gentoo Linux system from stage1 using the LiveCD. It's up and running, and functional, but with a couple problems:

First, I cannot emerge kde. I've been reading through all the posts I could find about this, and have tried EVERYTHING. I've attempted to emerge the parts of kde (kdebase, kdelibs, etc.) seperately, all end with EMERGE ERROR. I tried every different version possible, all end with error. Is there some kind of simple thing I'm missing when doing this? All I should have to do is type 'emerge kde' or 'emerge kde_2.2.2a' from a brand new Gentoo install, and emerge takes care of the rest?

Second, I have 2 ethernet cards in my system. One is I believe a RealTek ISA combo NIC, the other a PCI 3com. When I boot from the install CD, the 3com works perfectlly, but not the ISA. Not really a problem at this point, but when I got Gentoo up and running, I cannot use the 3com, but have no problem getting the ISA one going with the ne kernel module. Last time I recompiled, I used every 3com device listed (as a module) and I'm unable to start any of them and get that card going. I checked what modules run on the Livecd, it tells me "loop" and "lvm_mod", but how do I compile these as modules? What are they called in the "make menuconfig" screen?

Any ideas on either of the issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeremy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

The forum title can be misleading, but Installing Gentoo is for getting Gentoo installed. Sliding this one over to Desktop Environments.
aias4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be a little more specific about the error messages. I have tried a couple of times in the past 24 hours to emerge kde3.0.3. It also ends with an "EMERGE ERROR". could you scroll back up the screen (SHIFT+PAGEUP) and check which of the packages is causing a problem? In my instance it was trying to emerge rpm4.0.4.
I can't get past this error. I am also curious to see if someone else is facing the same problem I am.
Please let me know when you get a chance.
-ajay
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE install for a newbie. Reply with quote

falljer wrote:
all end with EMERGE ERROR.
Does emerge portage work?

Quote:
Last time I recompiled, I used every 3com device listed (as a module) and I'm unable to start any of them and get that card going.
Some NICs don't like being modules, so you may need to compile it into the kernel. Do you know the exact make & model of the card? cat /proc/pci might list some useful information.
falljer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, back with information, and more questions:

Quote:
Does emerge portage work?

Yes, I can emerge portage successfully.

Quote:
You have to be a little more specific about the error messages.

Okay, here:

Code:
kmessagebox.cpp:58:2: warning: #warning FIXME - Implement Notification
i586-pc-linux-gnu-g++: Internal error:  Terminated (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[3]: *** [libkdeui_la.all_cpp.lo] error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.3a/work/kdelibs-3.0.3a/kdeui'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.3a/work/kdelibs-3.0.3a/kdeui'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.3a/work/kdelibs-3.0.3a'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -6648, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:379823: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted

To add to the mystery, I was able to successfully complete an "emerge X11", BUT I don't know how to start it ("startx" doesn't work) after install.

Quote:
Some NICs don't like being modules, so you may need to compile it into the kernel. Do you know the exact make & model of the card? cat /proc/pci might list some useful information.

The ethernet card I can't get working is a 3com Etherlink 10/100 PCI Model 3C905C-TX-M. I specifically purchased this one, because it was supposed to work without any problem under linux. I'll try recompiling the kernel, with that NIC compiled in the kernel. Will let you know how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

-Jeremy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in the future, it would be a Good Idea to sperate 'problems' into different threads (after searching for the solution of course).

As you can emerge portage, I'm assuming you've got the latest version installed (.38)? emerge -V will tell you.
falljer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you can emerge portage, I'm assuming you've got the latest version installed (.38)? emerge -V will tell you.

Portage 2.0.38, so yes.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falljer wrote:
Code:
kmessagebox.cpp:58:2: warning: #warning FIXME - Implement Notification
i586-pc-linux-gnu-g++: Internal error:  Terminated (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.

Ok, this means that your compiler itself is dying. This can be caused by a couple different things:
1. Not nearly enough memory (ram+swapfile)
2. Bad compile of gcc
3. Bad ram or other hardware problem

The KDE compile is well known to take a really long time at that FIXME warning (in fact, many folks on the forums thought their computers were locking up at that point), so it's probably one of the most memory and cpu intense portions of the compile. I had a problem compiling kde the first time I installed gentoo on my home system (turns out lots of other compiles were broken too), but long story short it turned out to be a hardware thing (which had actually manifested itself as several other strange problems I'd been having and had been unable to track down).

So, my next questions would be:
How much RAM and swap file do you have?
What are your CFLAGS?
Are you overclocking your processor, motherboard or RAM? Consider testing your RAM (a memory testing program has been suggested elsewhere on these forums, I belive the name was memtest86).

Speaking of bad RAM, a friend of mine recently purchased what he was told was 1066mhz RDRAM for his new computer. He was having strange stability problems (actually, he couldn't even get through formatting his HD). Turns out the RAM was remarked 800mhz RAM! A 1066mhz sticker had been stuck over top of the manufacturer's part number and 800mhz label, and the prom on the sticks was even changed so that it detected at 1066. It ran fine at 800, but not at the advertised speed. I've heard of this scam happening with processors, but not RAM before... Something to be aware of if you're in the market for new computer hardware.
antik2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: KDE install for a newbie. Reply with quote

Same problem and I found the reason: swap space not active!? So I typed swapon /dev/hda2 or where You swap is and all worked perfectly. I have only 128mb of ram on installation machine and 256mb swap. kde compilation uses about 200mb.
falljer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE install for a newbie. Reply with quote

antik2 wrote:
Same problem and I found the reason: swap space not active!? So I typed swapon /dev/hda2 or where You swap is and all worked perfectly. I have only 128mb of ram on installation machine and 256mb swap. kde compilation uses about 200mb.

Didn't think to try swapon. Is it possible to see for sure if the swap partition isn't being used? And if so, how do you enable it automatically?

Anyway, I stole some more mem from another computer, bringing the total in my Gentoo machine up to 384 MB. The emerge completeted successfully, but then gave me this message:

Code:
* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
* IMPORTANT: 1 config files in /usr/kde/3/share/config need updating.
* Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

I renamed a file called "._cfg0000_kdebug.areas" to "kdebug.areas" (backing up the old one) in /usr/kde/3/share/config. Hopefully, that was what it was talking about. Then, I tried "startkde", and nothing happened. I rebooted, then tried "startkde" again, and got this message:

Code:
xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
xset:  unable to open display ""
ksplash: cannot connect to X server
kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
ksmserver: cannot connect to X server
sound server terminated

so, I tried "startx", and it went right into an X-session using xdm (showing the x-term windows). Trying "startkde" in that x-session works, but doesn't load kwin, so it doesn't look or work right.

Any suggestions to fix this last problem with kde?
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE install for a newbie. Reply with quote

falljer wrote:
Didn't think to try swapon. Is it possible to see for sure if the swap partition isn't being used? And if so, how do you enable it automatically?

Try using swapon -s to see if your swap partition is active.

To make it automatic, I think the swap partition needs to be in your /etc/fstab and you should have '/sbin/swapon -a' in your /etc/init.d/localmount.

falljer wrote:

so, I tried "startx", and it went right into an X-session using xdm (showing the x-term windows). Trying "startkde" in that x-session works, but doesn't load kwin, so it doesn't look or work right.

Any suggestions to fix this last problem with kde?

Before I started using kdm (recommended), I did the following:
    Create ~/.xinitrc which contains a single line: startkde
    Use startx to start X.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falljer's vmware question has gone to Monster window and weird colors in vmware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: