Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can I build 1.4 from an already running 1.2 system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Can I build 1.4 from an already running 1.2 system? Reply with quote

Interestingly, the 1.4 upgrade has come at roughly the same time as me running out of disk space on one of the disks in my existing Gentoo system. I was wondering if I could create a mountpoint and mount the new disk somewhere, and build from stage 1 a 1.4 system (preferably without rebooting... the disk is already in, and the machine serves as a network gateway)

As far as I can tell, I should be able to skip the network setup proceedure and continue as in the install guide, but I thought I'd better check with some people who may have tried something like this before.

I don't want to clone the existing system, because I've spent time working on what packages I want running on it (very few ;)) and the old system has lots of parts of packages left lying around. I also want to rebuild the existing system with as little network disruption as possible, so I think this would be the best way to go about it.

Any suggestions?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, see this and this.

You may also search 8)
ol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So those were of no use... I'm not upgrading, I'm rebuilding on a new disk from scratch where the machine is already running a version of Gentoo (because said disk is being transferred to my other system to be rebuild as a desktop version, rather than a server/gateway)

I take it no-ones actually tried it, so when I work my way through I'll tack notes onto here... I wish I had taken the network down now though, but I'd only have to handle people moaning at me instead of it taking ages to download stuff
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is what Rac's manual teaches.

ol wrote:
So those were of no use... I'm not upgrading, I'm rebuilding on a new disk from scratch where the machine is already running a version of Gentoo (because said disk is being transferred to my other system to be rebuild as a desktop version, rather than a server/gateway)

I take it no-ones actually tried it, so when I work my way through I'll tack notes onto here... I wish I had taken the network down now though, but I'd only have to handle people moaning at me instead of it taking ages to download stuff
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ol wrote:
So those were of no use... I'm not upgrading, I'm rebuilding on a new disk from scratch where the machine is already running a version of Gentoo

:?:
Some clarification on definitions: when I talk about Gentoo versions, I use them as shorthand for toolchain versions, which can largely be defined by their compiler version. 1.2 = gcc 2.95.3, 1.3 = gcc 3.1, 1.4 = gcc 3.2. When I say "update", I mean "a process in which you start out running version X, and end up running version X+d".

With that in mind, could you give Hybrid Major Gentoo Process (BB's first link above) another chance? It sounds exactly like your situation.
ol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm an idiot... I must have read something wrong. I'm up to 12 currently, and I'm probably going to skip 14 (all new packages to suit the purpose)

At this point I'm wishing I could use the existing gcc32, but now that I've started bootstrap I'll just have to suffer it as is
amittp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Did exactly same Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5384

Do exactly as above,, i enjoyed building my new syetem with renewed partitions (on diff hdd) While i was still working with the existing gentoo

Enjoy... (LOVE chroot)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: