Serious problems with Gentoo ARM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lekter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Serious problems with Gentoo ARM Reply with quote

What is happening with ARM?

Doing emerge sync removes many references to it:
- /usr/portage/profiles/default-arm-1.4
- Keywords inside packages

We rely on this for Gentoo For Zaurus, and yes, we know that ARM is not a supported architecture. With our project, we can begin to support some packages.

Could you please restore the portage files needed for ARM?

By the way, thanks for this wonderful distro.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arm was pulled and probably won't be coming back any time soon.
darkeye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
arm was pulled and probably won't be coming back any time soon.

I'm very sad to hear this. Some thoughts though:

- what is the Embedded Gentoo project is about then? it specifically states among its goals to support handhelds based on ARM:

Quote:
Support for handheld devices, such as PDAs like iPAQ and Zaurus.

- what if we still want to use gentoo as a framework, for ARM? should we fork?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the ARM developers left with the Zynot fork, which effectively killed off the Gentoo/ARM port. ARM keywords have slowly been removed from the portage tree because the QA tool, repoman, got an upgrade in portage-2.0.50 that allowed it to do better dependency checking and making sure when a package was stabilized, all dependents of the package were also stablilized on a specific architecture.

Suffice to say, this new dependency check bumped into the stagnating ARM keywords, causing people using other archs to have problems making changes to the portage tree, so a collective decision was made to remove most, if not all, ARM keywords from the tree until as such a time until ARM can be developed on again and the relevant packages marked stable/unstable.

--Kumba
darkeye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. But it seems the Zynot site is pretty much abandoned, some links don't work, last entries in the forum date back at least half a year.

It seems we need to start from scratch then...
lekter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I am the main developer of Gentoo For Zaurus)
We really don't want to fork Gentoo for ARM, but it is the only way we can have this project working. If we fork, I would like to be as close to real Gentoo as possible, until you decide to allow us (ARM users) to use the main portage.

I see the following (rough) roadmap. The work are measured in REAL time working, so it will be longer:
- setup a separate rsync mirror (I will provide one next week): 2-6 hours
- Some easy scripting magic to accept / modify official ebuilds to allow ARM: 5 days
- Reduction of february tree to have only real working packages: 2 days to many months (this will be the real interesting work)

Due to the reduced size of the community compared to Gentoo, I propose a more open development model, where almost everybody can submit ebuilds to the main tree, at least at the beginning.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lekter: You might want to take a look at this thread on the gentoo-embedded mailing list, and consider some of the thoughts I traded with Akos. It might provide some insight onto what may be needed to get arm support in gentoo working again.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-embedded&m=108019982909990&w=2

--Kumba
darkeye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
lekter: You might want to take a look at this thread on the gentoo-embedded mailing list, and consider some of the thoughts I traded with Akos. It might provide some insight onto what may be needed to get arm support in gentoo working again.

we're working together with lekter on this issue, and keeping each other updated. funny that some information is lost because of the multiple channels of commincation :)
lekter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I will put the information post on all the "channels" on the wiki this weekend.

http://gentooforzaurus.opensistemas.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index

We are organizing the development team. We are setting up two branches:

- Head: Independent tree close to Gentoo trying to start from the beginning as a standard Gentoo port. We have a more detailed description that will be on the wiki this weekend. Akos Maroy wants to be the leader of this branch.

- Stable: This branch will be a "scripting magic hack" branch to keep current tree compatible with ARM again. We will have things working again very fast here, but this is "dead work" once the Head branch is working. I will be the leader of this branch.

We will need help mainly on Head branch. This weekend we will have the HEAD rsync server and all the information to become a developer of the project.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: