Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
NVIDIA 4496 + Xfree86 = Blank Screen / White (SOLVED!!!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skatrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: NVIDIA 4496 + Xfree86 = Blank Screen / White (SOLVED!!!) Reply with quote

Hello all... I'm a big fan of Gentoo, and there was a point when everything on the system that I wanted to work did work... I have a problem with the NVIDIA drivers, though, as many people have noted. startx gives either a blank screen that doesn't go away after waiting and I have to do a hard shutdown (and I can't do an Alt+Fn or Ctrl+Fn), or this latest antic is some strange white pattern that grows on the screen, and eventually takes it over... I only let it go for about 2 seconds since I was afraid it would kill my monitor. Another strange thing is that, on reboot, when I go to read the XFree86.0.log file or the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, sometimes it's filled with strange parts of other files... I can't make heads or tails of it!

Here are my specs:
Dell Inspiron 8500 Laptop
nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go 64MB
15.4" UXGA screen

Code:

*  sys-kernel/mm-sources
      Latest version available: 2.6.5_rc1-r1
      Latest version installed: 2.6.5_rc1-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 34,897 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.kernel.org/ http://www.gentoo.org/
      Description: Andrew Morton's kernel, mostly fixes for 2.6 vanilla, some vm stuff too
      License:     GPL-2

*  x11-base/xfree
      Latest version available: 4.3.0-r5
      Latest version installed: 4.3.0-r5
      Size of downloaded files: 71,130 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.xfree.org
      Description: Xfree86: famous and free X server
      License:     Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD FTL | GPL-2 MSttfEULA

*  media-video/nvidia-glx
      Latest version available: 1.0.4496
      Latest version installed: 1.0.4496
      Size of downloaded files: 5,005 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.nvidia.com/
      Description: XFree86 GLX libraries for the NVIDIA's X driver
      License:     NVIDIA

*  media-video/nvidia-kernel
      Latest version available: 1.0.4496-r3
      Latest version installed: 1.0.4496-r3
      Size of downloaded files: 5,005 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.nvidia.com/
      Description: Linux kernel module for the NVIDIA's X driver
      License:     NVIDIA

Here's what I've done so far: I've run opengl-update nvidia, the nvidia module is loaded, I DO have a /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl listed, I've tried the 4496 and the 5336 drivers with 2.6.0-mm1 and 2.6.5-rc1-mm1, I have the SystemVIPC enabled in the kernel, I have AGPART as a module, I do have ACPI compiled in (but taking it out didn't fix it), I have set "NvAGP" equal to "1" and "3", my symlink for /usr/src/linux is correct, I've waited for the blank screen to go away, but three hours didn't do anything, I've set the option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" to "DFP,TV" to no avail, and I have the nvidia module autoloading with the kernel. I've read all the posts listed if I search for "nvidia blank" on the Gentoo forums...

The strangest thing is that before I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.5-rc1-mm1, the NVIDIA drivers worked beautifully with everything! I even wrote a guide online for others, when the drivers were working! I've since reinstalled Gentoo (sorry, I'm still in the Microsoft mindset), and now I can't get them to work with anything. Following are various files. Sorry for the long post, but my FTP client isn't installed yet (since this is a relatively fresh install). EDIT: I uploaded the files and took them out of this to cut down on post size! Please help! Thanks in advance! This is a really annoying problem!

--------------------

Here's my current /etc/X11/XF86Config

Here's that strange file that was /var/log/XFree86.0.log but seemed to be filled up with other files

Here's my dmesg output

Here's my lsmod output

Here's my cat /proc/pci output

Last edited by skatrek on Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
MrStaticVoid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same issue as you. I upgraded to 2.6.5-rc1-mm1 and the nVidia drivers crash Xfree. My issue only differs in that Xfree crashes only when I try to try to kill it (ctl+alt+bksp). I just get white lines across the screen and a nice hard lockup. I try to look at the logs, but it garbles the screen and contain parts of other files...in fact, it looks *exactly* like yours. I've tried a couple of versions of the drivers and many kernel versions. I've even recompiled Xfree to no avail. Why would it work before 2.6.5-rc1-mm1 but not after, even when reverting to an older kernel?

EDIT: I also did a revdep-rebuild hoping there was a missing library but everything was good there.
skatrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's an exceptionally strange problem... and I just reinstalled from Stage 3 yesterday afternoon, a few hours before I posted, so I'm almost positive there's nothing missing or wrong with my system... unless portage is universally messed up!
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, but with mm-sources-2.6.5-rc2-mm1 (copied the ebuild). I patched my kernel with bootsplash, vesafb-refresh-rate and hid-poll-interval; those 3 patches worked flawlessly in 2.6.4-gentoo-r1, and this mm seems to boot fine with them too.

Only, when I start x I get a nice black screen and nothing responds. I have to hard-reboot.

Glad to not be the only one with this trouble :?
skatrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2.6.5-rc1-mm1 /usr/src/linux/.config, if anyone's interested. EDIT: Uploaded file to cut down on post size

Last edited by skatrek on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe found a solution here:

(snip)

CONFIG_4KSTACKS is the likely suspect, minion.de says it's not compatible with the driver and the latest kernels have that enabled.

(/snip)

I'll try that right now, and post if I get some success.
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After scratching my head a bit to really disable 4KSTACKS from .config, I rebooted, re-installed the nvidia kernel and here I am, using nvidia-kernel with mm-sources-2.6.5-rc2-mm1 8)
skatrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled, manually editing .config to comment out the 4KSTACKS option, but when I restart (and recompile nvidia-kernel and modify the XF86Config file, of course), I have the same problem... could you post your XF86Config, your .config, and your lsmod output, please?
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, when you disable 4KSTACKS in .config, as soon as you do "make bzImage", it gets enabled again... You'll have to edit /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Kconfig and change the 4KSTACKS entry to look like this:

Code:

config 4KSTACKS
        bool
        def_bool n

It's near the end of the file. When you have done this, re-disable 4KSTACKS in .config and you're set, you can recompile your bzImage.
skatrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha... yes, I found that problem... since then I tried the mm-sources-2.6.5_rc2-r2 hoping the 4KSTACKS patch would be removed, but it wasn't, so I'm using 2.6.4-rc1 now... and it's fine by me! Just for the record, here is my kernel .config, here is my /etc/X11/XF86Config, and this is the output of my lsmod:

Code:

Module                  Size  Used by
nvidia               1700876  12
intel_agp              15772  1
agpgart                25896  1 intel_agp
ntfs                   84812  0
b44                    19332  0

For everyone's future reference, I'm using the 4496 version of the NVIDIA drivers... I may try later on to use the mm-sources doing the Kconfig trick you mentioned above...

Thanks for your help!
Chris
klerck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twix wrote:
The thing is, when you disable 4KSTACKS in .config, as soon as you do "make bzImage", it gets enabled again... You'll have to edit /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Kconfig and change the 4KSTACKS entry to look like this:

Code:

config 4KSTACKS
        bool
        def_bool n

It's near the end of the file. When you have done this, re-disable 4KSTACKS in .config and you're set, you can recompile your bzImage.

thank you!!!!!!!! I'm not sure I can thank you enough. This problem has been driving me crazy for days. I've recompiled the kernel so many times and even had to reinstall after hard rebooting from the lockups caused partition corruption (ext3, even the journal got corrupted, wow).

THANKS!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: