System hangs at bootup No Panic!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobkat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: System hangs at bootup No Panic!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is my first time installing gentoo, and i must say it's a cool process. I am installing from stage1 1.4_rc1. I have searched through these forums for someone with a similar problem to myself, but i haven't found one like mine yet. I am running a laptop p4 1.6 ghz, 256 mb RAM, 20 gig fujitsu hdd, and toshibd dvdrom. I compiled the kernel 2.4.19, and on boot the system hangs after the line that says something like this:

ide0 hda DMA hdb PIO
ide1 hdc DMA hdd PIO

it's not this exactly, but those are the main points. This line occurs in the boot CD kernel as well, and then the actual Fujitsu device and Toshiba devices are loaded, but this does not happen in the kernel i compiled. I've compiled the kernel 8 or 9 times with different options, but i can't seem to get it past this point. Is there someone out there with a vague idea of what's going on?

Let me know if you need any more information on how i've configured my system (though it never gets to the point in the boot process where it is running scripts, the system hangs before the drive devices are actually loaded). In my kernel as far as drive stuff goes i've compiled, devfs, reiserfs, jfs, ext3, ntfs support, mac support, dos support, nfs support, automounter, and that's about it. I am also compiling pcmcia support into the kernel. I say this because i've noticed a lot of people having problems with kernels hanging with pcmcia support enabled. I *did* also emerge pcmcia-cs... If you guys have any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Som
bobkat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: In addition Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you know that I have tried both the gentoo kernel and the vanilla kernel with the exact same response...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you include the exact error messages, perhaps a few lines above them as well?
bobkat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i took out cardbus support for pcmcia and now i get through the kernel fine, i also get through the scripts fine on bootup as well. The only problem now, is that there is no virtual terminal setup, so i can't log in. Just to test that everything had worked fine, i put in the bash command in local.start just for testing...and i can get into the install just fine. But i want to setup virtual terminals so that i can have users etc :). Any ideas? I'm going to search the internet to see if i can find the config files for the virtual terminal.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you included devfs support in your kernel?

bobkat wrote:
Well i took out cardbus support for pcmcia and now i get through the kernel fine, i also get through the scripts fine on bootup as well. The only problem now, is that there is no virtual terminal setup, so i can't log in. Just to test that everything had worked fine, i put in the bash command in local.start just for testing...and i can get into the install just fine. But i want to setup virtual terminals so that i can have users etc :). Any ideas? I'm going to search the internet to see if i can find the config files for the virtual terminal.
bobkat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i sure did, i've fixed all my kernel issues i think :). My major problem now is that after bootup of the kernel and running through the scripts, i don't get a virtual terminal! I went and looked at inittab and it looks the exact same as the one on the install cdrom, what could be going on? LIke i said before if i put bash into the local.start then i get a prompt, but this is far from correct or secure...
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you have in /etc/runlevels/default ?

bobkat wrote:
Yep i sure did, i've fixed all my kernel issues i think :). My major problem now is that after bootup of the kernel and running through the scripts, i don't get a virtual terminal! I went and looked at inittab and it looks the exact same as the one on the install cdrom, what could be going on? LIke i said before if i put bash into the local.start then i get a prompt, but this is far from correct or secure...
bobkat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok looks like i got it working, basically i had SMP compiled into the kernel and it was waiting for the other processor. I found this out by taking a look at some old posts in this forum. Thanks for all your guys' help :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: