E4500 anyone running Gentoo on one?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybrjackle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: E4500 anyone running Gentoo on one? Reply with quote

I've got an E4500 that I wanted to install Gentoo on,

8 - 400 or 450 MHz (i forget) ;-)
8GB Ram
D1000 currently w/ 4 - 18GB drives 2 on each side.

Anyway, i believe someone here is running a 4500 and i was just curious how they have it setup, what kinda cards are installed and pretty much any other info they can give me would be GREAT!

2.4.x or 2.6.x kernel

Thx,
hardave
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an E3500 (8x336 4G) and have been pretty happy running gentoo on it. The only problem is the socal (fcal) doesn't work currently in linux, which isn't much of a problem for you since you have scsi disk.

For graphics all I've got is an 8-bit TGX card, so I'm using an Ultra1 with 24-bit creator graphic as a remote XDM terminal for it, it's pretty much like a physical console.

With 8GB of ram I highly recomend setting up a hugh /tmp tmpfs, at least 1GB, you could probablly do 4GB without sweating the machine. tmpfs doesn't use memory unless there are files there, so an empty filesystem doesn't use memory. Then set PORTAGE_TMPDIR to /tmp, or where ever you mount your tmpfs. Emerging packages will go sooooo much faster if you don't need to touch disk during compiles. But of course, remember that tmpfs doesn't persist across reboots, never store anything you need to keep on there.

Also there's the obvious of setting it up as a distcc server for other machines on your network.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, just have fun with your new toy.
Ladius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardave wrote:
I have an E3500 (8x336 4G) and have been pretty happy running gentoo on it. The only problem is the socal (fcal) doesn't work currently in linux, which isn't much of a problem for you since you have scsi disk.

Drool and DOH,

I'll be taking a E3500, (4x400 2GB) out of our normal production circle within the next six months so its great to see that its linux compatible but since all I've got in the box are 8 FCAL Hard Drives I guess I'll have to stick with solaris on it...

Thanks for the post on the E3500 I wasn't doing research yet to see if Linux could go on it but its always nice to find out problems before you begin thinking about where things will be "decommissioned" to.
leonarp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm will be installing Gentoo on an E4500 soon. It should be here in the next week or so. That should be interesting. Any suggestions or "gotchas" to look out for?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: