Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sil 3112a SATA Harddrive Problems - (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Sil 3112a SATA Harddrive Problems - (solved) Reply with quote

This seems like it should be something that can be solved. Why? Because when I chroot into my own system on the LiveCD everything works perfectly.

What are the problems?
Code:
ATA1: DMA timeout, stat 0x4

I can recreate the problems by doing any emerge that has heavyduty writing to the harddrives. Like emerge gnome or kde as well as recompiling my kernel. It really bites because if I tweak something in my kernel, I have to boot to the livecd run my script to chroot then recompile.

I have a Shuttle AN50R Specs here AMD64 3200+ YES, I have upgraded my bios. Everything is up to date. It took some time, but I thought it would solve it.
It has an onboard SATA controller - I thought I would take advantage of these FAST drives, but its proved nothing but problems. The drive is a Maxtor 80Gb harddrive.

Anyways - why do I think this should be solved? Because the drive works perfectly fine off the livecd. Have I tried the livecd config for my kernel? oh, boy yeah. I tried and tried. I've recompiled my kernel so many times within the past week, I think I may not have a girlfriend soon. genkernel provides the same results.

I'm using the low level scsi drivers for my sata Silicon Image 3112A chipset, and I'm starting to really wonder... I've had this system for quite some time now and I have yet to have it running well.

I've googled around and it seems that gentoo kernel 2.6.3 has solved the whole sil image 3112 problems, but yet it still doesn't solve my problems.

What do I do? Should I just cut my loss and buy an EIDE hard-drive? does anyone have any suggestions?

P L E A S E!

I would be very happy to solve this problem, infact, I'm putting up some money for someone to help me solve this, so let this be a reward if you help.

(btw you can't hdparm scsi devices)

I'm gonna crack a bottle of wine and go spend time with my girlfriend tonight, but I'm gonna be back tomarrow morning in full force trying to solve this stupid problem. I thought this would help, but I haven't tried it, it seems to be obsolete. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=111300&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sil+3112

Again, this is a chance for someone to make some money and to really help another person and contribute to others.

Last edited by ub818 on Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
chebe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the AMD64 tech notes :
We have included a 3112/3114 patch in gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1_rc3 and 2.6.1 final to attempt to support the 3112 and 3114 controllers. These are extremely experimental, and you should only attempt to use them if you know what you're doing.

The RAID fonction of the controller doesn't work, but you should still be able to use it without the RAID.

Are you using gentoo-dev-sources for your kernel 2.6.3 ?
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm using gentoo-dev-sources. The AMD tech notes were one of the first things consulted.
cheezyboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have the ASUS A7N8X-E which also has the sil3112 controller it works fine for me with the 2.4.22 kernel.

I haven't tried the 2.6 kernels yet but I would check the configuration in the ATA section -> ATA block devices ->

I have both the
AMD and nVidia IDE support (probably not going to help you)
and
silicon image chipset support

I use a Segate 80GB SATA as my only HDD. So it should be possible. Is there anything that isn't supported in 2.4 kernels that you needed? You might try that otherwise.

Good Luck
Config
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem seems to be kernel related... so lets just try to use the kernel config used for the live-cd's.
I don't know whether the config-support is compiled in on a live cd, but if it is, there should be a /proc/config.gz which contains the kernel configuration. unzip and store it as .config in /usr/src/linux and then do the kernel compilation
Hope it helps - good luck ;)
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the livecd's config and that doesn't pick up my drive at all. I've been thinking about trying to steal the libata (ver .8)off the livecd and use that to compile it instead of the 1.00 version that comes with the kernel. Maybe that's the trick but things are slow going trying to test everything out.

Still testing :?
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the dmesg boot from the livecd...

http://webpages.charter.net/racinemj07/help.out

Here is the dmesg boot from the 2.6.3-gentoo-r2 kernel
http://webpages.charter.net/racinemj07/dmesg.out

Can anyone notice anything? Yes, they are quite different, but what can I change to stop DMA timeouts ?
mikepolniak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have my amd64 system yet, but thats why i am reading this forum. Maybe some of how i have set up my striped Raptor hard drives on SilImage 3112 SATA controller will help you.

First from reading the linux-ide mailing list you see that the maintainer of the sil image drivers Jeff garzik says the scsi_sata_sil driver is still marked broken, from his post of 2/25/2004:
"Do not be fooled, Silicon Image is still marked CONFIG_BROKEN for a reason... :) But this should (hopefully!) get 4-port support going.
Testing requested..."

So i disable scsi_sata support in the kernel and set BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE=y
and set up software raid with CONFIG_MD=y. Then the 2 Raptors work fine off the 3112 controller on my Asus a7n8x deluxe. I am running the with kernel-2.6.4-rc1 which has the latest sii driver fix so the speed is quite good.

Running hdparm -t /dev/md0 gives 103mb/sec and you can verify the speed by
>cat *big*.iso > /dev/null or
>cp /dev/zero /tmp/testfile and >cp /tmp/testfile /dev/null

The only tool you need for setting up and managing software raid is >emerge mdadm

I'll wait untill the scsi_sata_sil driver is not broken before i try it again, although i probably wont see any speed gains with it.
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheezyboy wrote:
I currently have the ASUS A7N8X-E which also has the sil3112 controller it works fine for me with the 2.4.22 kernel.

I haven't tried the 2.6 kernels yet but I would check the configuration in the ATA section -> ATA block devices ->

I have both the
AMD and nVidia IDE support (probably not going to help you)
and
silicon image chipset support

I use a Segate 80GB SATA as my only HDD. So it should be possible. Is there anything that isn't supported in 2.4 kernels that you needed? You might try that otherwise.

Good Luck

What does your drive come up as ? hda or sda? I may start fresh soon.
ballyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes up as /dev/hde for me... one device on a 3112 with the ide driver. Post your hdparms after you make the switch...
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballyn wrote:
Comes up as /dev/hde for me... one device on a 3112 with the ide driver. Post your hdparms after you make the switch...

I did that, but it was showing me some other errors, so I've been working on the scsi low level drivers. I feel like I'm making progress (esp after finding a discussion on the libata devices and playing with the code). Although its not booting into my own system yet, i feel its close till I make a break through.
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After messing many things up and not getting anything working in the middle of the night - I downloaded a more recent livecd than the one I had and started all over again. This time, I compiled the SCSI low level drivers -SATA Support as a module and built in the IDE drivers into my kernel. That setup I tried so many other times before but no worky, it finally works now. I can't pin point what it is. Alas its working now and its stable. Right now doing a emerge kde - should take some time.
ballyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you built in the IDE driver, that's likely what's being used (and not the libata driver you compiled as a module), so I would expect that the driver switch is what fixed the issue. What device was assigned to the drive? hde?

Please post the ouput of an hdparm -tT /dev/hde (or whatever).
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
bash-2.05b# hdparm -tT /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.17 seconds =744.30 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.48 seconds = 43.16 MB/sec
bash-2.05b#

I had built in the ide driver before - attempting to use that driver but it never worked for me.
ballyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a /dev/hde, you're using the ide-driver (which is what I would recommend at this point).

Code:

root@metis ballyn # cat /proc/ide/hde/model
ST3160023AS
root@metis ballyn # cat /proc/ide/hde/driver
ide-disk version 1.18
root@metis ballyn # cat /proc/ide/hde/capacity
root@metis ballyn # hdparm -tT /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.18 seconds =719.21 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.15 seconds = 55.42 MB/sec
DaftDog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... I have a huge problem with 2.6.x kernels and my sii3112 controller... I wish I would actually get to the dma timeouts, but here I only get a kernel panic saying that I didn't specify a proper "root=" option. The drivers for SII3112 are in the kernel (non-module), SCSI-Support is turned off, I'm just using one HDD (Seagate 120GB), no raid... Just a second before I get the kernel panic, it says that it actually found the harddisc and that it is /dev/hdc6. Grub on the other hand seems totally unable to find the root partition hdc6. I have tried using "boot off-board chipsets first" and stuff like that, thousands of grub-settings and combinations of grub- and kernel-settings with pretty much every kernel from 2.6.0 to 2.6.4... still I'm not getting even one step further.
Does anyone have ANY hint at all? If someone has and needs more info I'll gladly post it here... I'm really desperate (it's been 10 weeks since I started trying to get it to work).
HELP!!! 8O
Danathan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaftDog wrote:
Hey... I have a huge problem with 2.6.x kernels and my sii3112 controller... I wish I would actually get to the dma timeouts, but here I only get a kernel panic saying that I didn't specify a proper "root=" option. The drivers for SII3112 are in the kernel (non-module), SCSI-Support is turned off, I'm just using one HDD (Seagate 120GB), no raid... Just a second before I get the kernel panic, it says that it actually found the harddisc and that it is /dev/hdc6. Grub on the other hand seems totally unable to find the root partition hdc6. I have tried using "boot off-board chipsets first" and stuff like that, thousands of grub-settings and combinations of grub- and kernel-settings with pretty much every kernel from 2.6.0 to 2.6.4... still I'm not getting even one step further.
Does anyone have ANY hint at all? If someone has and needs more info I'll gladly post it here... I'm really desperate (it's been 10 weeks since I started trying to get it to work).
HELP!!! 8O

I had some similar problems with the 2.6 kernel and a SiI3112A... The live cd (2004.0) showed my drives as hde and hdg, but a couple of failed 2.4 kernels showed them as hda and hdc. Once I had my kernel properly configured, they went back to being hde and hdg, but the ethernet card wouldn't work so I switched to a 2.6 kernel... When the 2.6 kernel boots, it finds the drives first as hde and hdg, and then it moves them to hdi and hdk.

The easiest way that I found to deal with this was to create a grub.conf that includes a bunch of different options, each with a different boot arg (ie, hda, hde, hdi, etc.); this way you don' t have to go through the rescue CD to check it each time.

Also, I take it you've compiled support for your root fs typ e (ext3, reiserfs) into the kernel.

Good luck.

Dan
DaftDog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have thought of that... :wink:
I'll give it a try... oh and yes, support for the FSs is in the kernel too (non-module).
Thanks for the hint!

UPDATE: Just tried all drives from hda to hdk... still no success. Tonight I'll try the same again with another kernel-config. In the meantime every hint is appreciated!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: