Counter-Strike Voicemod with wine and CS 1.5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Counter-Strike Voicemod with wine and CS 1.5 Reply with quote

Hey, sorry to bug everyone about a game that is 3 years old and somehow still being played, but....
I was wondering if anyone has gotten the voicemod in CS 1.5 to work thru wine? I get an error while logging on to servers:
Code:
Unable to initialize wave input. Trying waveIn. The specified device is already in use. Wait till it is free then try again.

Although the rest of the game works fine.

I am part of the audio group.

Although this isn't essential to me playing the game, I would just like to know if it can work.

Thanks!
-Andrew
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I recently installed CS 1.5 and got the same message but i dunno what exactly cause the voicemod to fail. Maybe the mic device .... still trying to find a way around.

Let me know if you find something.
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are subscribed to Transgaming's WineX you can download the binaries for their earlier version, which is 1.0something, and copy a particular file to your transgamings lib directory. This does work, its been discussed on the transgaming HL-CS forum.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a subscriber to Transgaming. I don't really like their company.
Just my opinion, so please don't flame me. If there is a way to make this work similar to what dev said, using wine, not winex, could someone let me know?

the reason it doesn't work is because wine can't see the /dev/dsp input device. I use Alsa .9.
Not sure why it can't see the input device, but it can't.

Not that it is a big deal, since I don't use a microphone most of the time anyways and I am n00b at CS. I was just curious if anyone got it to work with wine.

-Andrew
SimianRage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting the same error trying to use voice in DOD or HLDM using the free winex. When I switched to a new soundcard with hardware mixing (SBLive 5.1) I was able to use voice again. My old soundcard was using the snd-cmipci ALSA driver, now I'm using the snd-emu10k1 ALSA driver. Anyway, I'm just assuming that this may be your problem with wine too. I should try to go back to wine again and see if voice works there.

What soundcard do you have? And do you use esd or artsd?
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I use an Hercule game Theator and i use esd.

but can't seem to find why i cant acces to the device. Where does it look ??? dsp ? mic ???
SimianRage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry don't know the answer to that. I'm pretty much a sound noob. According to the ALSA page the Hercules Game Theatre also supports hardware mixing. Do you use ALSA too? And can you play multiple sounds simultaneously (outside of wine) without using esd? Just curious because I had tried before to use esd with my old soundcard to run winex/HL and that didn't work for voice either. And when voice wasn't working for me I couldn't hear other people either.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nop I dont use alsa. You may be right with esd for multiple sound at the same time. It look like esd is one at the time. Does alsa can play multiple sound at the same times ??? That would be great i need that kind feature i always listen to my mp3 while I talk over gaim and darn i dont hear the sound of gaim because xmms use the device ???

anyways if this is the case for counter strike with the voicemod. Is there someone using alsa and is able to make voicemod working ??
SimianRage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSA will play multiple sounds if your card (and the specific ALSA driver for that card) supports it. Check out www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc. I just followed the configuration instructions from the Install link for my card and the Gentoo Install guide for general ALSA setup tasks and everything works great.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sound blaster pci 16, it doesn't do hardware mixing. I checked.

I run Alsa .9 and esd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: