88%  [ 62 ]
no :(
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 70

Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Finnish board Reply with quote

Other languages forum currently seems to have some dozen questions in Finnish and people are looking in irc and on other boards for Finnish gentoo board. I think that a separate board would encourage people asking questions and ease locals to find the questions since they are rather hard to seek for from the other languages mess. I'm putting up a poll as well but the main stress should be on the conversation.
Mikessu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think finnish forum could be a good idea. There are pretty many finnish users in Gentoo forums already and there are very many finnish topic in other languages section.

EDIT: If needed I can also be a moderator, I have experience with PhpBB moderating and I have plenty of time for that.

Last edited by Mikessu on Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:51 am; edited 5 times in total
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an uninterested party, I'd have to vote for this. After all, you are number 4 overall in per capita users (and first among those with a significant population).

Not to mention, the father and benevolent dictator of Linux is Finnish :)
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there should be our own forum in Finnish. That way everything posted in Finnish will be in one place and not scattered around the other languages.
dfC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Finnish forum? Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I think finnish forum could be a good idea.

I agree.
Godfather
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 - 0

Well we don't have much to lose by adding Finnish, so why not :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flammie,

Its more likely to happen if you can find a few finnish readers to donate some time as modertors of the new board. That was a problem with a recent new language board.

You have my vote.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a need of moderators, I could become one since I already spend too much time in the forums anyway.
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished some heavy work at university and have also way too much time at my hands if it is acceptable for a (lurker) n00b to moderate :)
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, we need to advertise this in the other forums/threads. 8) And Thumbs up for Jaska for volunteering! :wink:
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 votes, 31 for and 1 vote against. If there is to be a Finnish forum this is definitly not making anything happen :(
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaska wrote:
32 votes, 31 for and 1 vote against. If there is to be a Finnish forum this is definitly not making anything happen :(

I'd suppose someone would have to poke the board moderators or upkeepers a bit to get things happening. Is there/are there anyone for this board who actually make(s) these decisions? Nitro?
Spawn of Lovechild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have previously voiced my opinion on the many none english subforums on f.g.o, and my argument remains WHY??

Learn english or register www.gentoousers.<foo> - seriously we have quite to many forums here as it is.

Another option would be to make viewing them on the forum root an option in the profile - personally I think they are just clutter so I would like to see them go the way of /dev/null.

tstf !!
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[lengthy ranting ahead]

Spawn of Lovechild wrote:
I have previously voiced my opinion on the many none english subforums on f.g.o, and my argument remains WHY??

Most of non-native english speakers use horrible broken English that sometimes is nearly impossible to understand and other times is obviously saying one thing whilst meaning other, as non-native speakers do not understand connotations of expressions correctly. :wink:

Furthermore it is in many cases easier to pose questions in ones own language than trying to go asking in english where someone will surely tell you to RTFM or STFW when the problem is that english manuals and english web pages or forum answers wont help.

Quote:
Learn english or register www.gentoousers.<foo> - seriously we have quite to many forums here as it is.

There is already a group of fora and irc-channels and newsgroups but how are people supposed to find them? Furthermore I'm horrified of this modern world's development towards broken English as only means of communication, the Internet English is horrid pidgin mockup of a language and frequent use of it alreade has proven interferential effect on other native languages. Especially technically oriented people seem to prefer broken English over their native language and I would gladly help this development to stop.

Quote:
Another option would be to make viewing them on the forum root an option in the profile - personally I think they are just clutter so I would like to see them go the way of /dev/null.

It's good that humans come with such a filter actions built in. The markup on main page even separates the native language fora from the other topics. Furthermore it's obvious that native forums reduce the clutter from other forums, just try counting expressions "I apologize my bad english blah blah blah whine whine".

Quote:
tstf !!

äppä!!!
Spawn of Lovechild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what... I'll support your every demand for a finnish forum (since you guys and your language kicks ass), if you will join in the fight to get spammer registration protective meassures installed and a kernel forum set up.

But if you don't understand english the odds of you actually succesfully installing Gentoo are about zero. As for the bad english, if people would only add their location to their profile it would be easier to weed out the none natives, hell I'm a none native english speaking kinda guy, I spell like crap - yet I'm fairly easily understood (or so I gather), posts take time to be correct in so cases.
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what... I'll support your every demand for a finnish forum (since you guys and your language kicks ass), if you will join in the fight to get spammer registration protective meassures installed and a kernel forum set up.

Spam, what spam? I do not see much of spam on this forums at the least, of course this does seem more like a helpdesk forum than other internet forums I use, but I guess it's inevitable. But how do kernels relate to gentoo forum?

Quote:
But if you don't understand english the odds of you actually succesfully installing Gentoo are about zero.

I'd actually suppose for people who have lots of documentation available in native language it doesn't require more than elementary school English to get gentoo going, especially it does not require ability to talk in English, reading is usually far more simple.

Quote:
As for the bad english, if people would only add their location to their profile it would be easier to weed out the none natives, hell I'm a none native english speaking kinda guy, I spell like crap - yet I'm fairly easily understood (or so I gather), posts take time to be correct in so cases.

I'm all for this as well. But for some reason people either insist on putting something absolutely hilarious*) instead of their actual location, or not put anything at all.

*) Places like here and there and Mars will actually never amuse anyone with IQ over 40.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spawn of Lovechild,

I support the various language forums becase some users are not comfortable having to read and write in a foreign language.
Reading and understanding a second language is 'much' easier than writing and speaking.

Where can I vote for the Kernel forum ????

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Spawn of Lovechild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Spawn of Lovechild,

I support the various language forums becase some users are not comfortable having to read and write in a foreign language.
Reading and understanding a second language is 'much' easier than writing and speaking.

Where can I vote for the Kernel forum ????

We already had a vote and there was like a 80% division in favor of it, yet the admins refused to set one up - regardles of the fact that other things, gentoo chat and off topic are being FLOODED with kernel announcements and help threads - since there's no clear place of these things.

I'm also not against native forums, but please register gentoo.fi or gentoousers.fi - we can then have a list of forums that caters to your needs. I see no need for flooding f.g.o with extra low traffic forums. I only read the scandinavian forum here when I'm REALLY bored.
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already had a vote and there was like a 80% division in favor of it, yet the admins refused to set one up - regardles of the fact that other things, gentoo chat and off topic are being FLOODED with kernel announcements and help threads - since there's no clear place of these things.

Ah, I noticed that. I'd agree that a place for kernel threads would be needed. Although I think that the whole system is currently rather chaotic than organized. One board is for questions regarding portage and generic programming questions that have nothing to do with portage, one board is for desktop stuff but not for multimedia, one board for installing but only for installing first time and then a dozen for more or less off topic... You can just see threads being bounced around the forum when people disagree on what would belong where.

Quote:
I'm also not against native forums, but please register gentoo.fi or gentoousers.fi - we can then have a list of forums that caters to your needs. I see no need for flooding f.g.o with extra low traffic forums. I only read the scandinavian forum here when I'm REALLY bored.

Had you checked yourself you would have seen that gentoo.fi is already taken by Quakenet community that is half-closed as a community, not a good support channel IMHO. Also there's gentoo.tuska.fi for IRCNet community, that neither does have any proper discussion functionality, and there's broken hell of dozen more forums that are upkept by people who could barely set up their phpBB from some ebuild.

Equally I could say I'm not against kernel forum but please register gentookernel.org for your kernel discussions.
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support you all the way :D .

I think that people should learn a 'real' language instead of English; the English language is horribly messed up. The 'gh' in 'ghost' is pronounced with a 'g' sound, whereas the 'gh' in 'laugh' is pronounced with an 'f' sound. This also makes it harder for foreigners to learn English, I think.
Kenja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe everyone should start hijacking threads and stuff.

Post a whole bunch of Finnish stuff in a random thread then follow it up with.
Quote:

Babba Booey Babba Booey Howard Stern Penis Penis Penis give the Finns thier own board!!!
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel board is up :)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flammie wrote:
Kernel board is up :)

which is just "laptop & hardware" with a new name.
Mikessu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flammie wrote:
it doesn't require more than elementary school English to get gentoo going, especially it does not require ability to talk in English, reading is usually far more simple.

I agree with this. It is much easier to read English than write it. I got Gentoo installed but there have been many situations when it would have been much easier to ask in finnish.

And btw..
It was said in discussion about polish forum that about 20-30 users are needed for new forum. There are already 43 that have voted yes...
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Polish forum's amount of votes, we are still 20 or so votes short of what they have in total.

Mikessu wrote:
I agree with this. It is much easier to read English than write it. I got Gentoo installed but there have been many situations when it would have been much easier to ask in finnish.

Sometimes it just is better to ask people who speak your native language than in English.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: