Lunar LINUX
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Lunar LINUX Reply with quote

Just in case anyone cares /. is running a stpry about a new source-based distro that is a fork of sorceror. http://www.lunar-linux.org/

Has anyone used it yet and how is is compared to gentoo? Just out of curiosity. I can't imagine it comparing to gentoo, though :)
Skreems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Well, at first glance... Reply with quote

[DISCLAIMER]
I am not a linux guru, so I don't know what every piece of their explanation means, and I HAVE NOT tried installing it.
[END DISCLAIMER]

That being said, it looked to me like they took the Sorcerer/SourceMage code, changed the names of all the major system commands, and then tweaked a bunch of little things. It looks like Gentoo, but without the documentation, and, incidentally, fewer packages, from my quick glance over their "moonbase" section.

I'm sure they've put in a great amount of time and effort making the changes that they did. The question now is whether you want to leave the relatively helpful Gentoo forum for one filled with "Isn't this a Gentoo ripoff" posts in amongst the help.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved how many times gentoo was mentioned in the /. comments. Think I doubled the number of times it was mentioned.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ideas of sourceror/lunar/gentoo are great, but having competition between distros that function on the same ideas isn't so great. if the sourceror/lunar guys put their time into gentoo(or vice versa) then the community would benefit more, i think
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree when it comes to volunteer projects. I'd disagree when it comes to more commercial products. For example, I wouldn't want to See Suse become the German division of RH, or Mandrake become the France division of RH.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point kanus

in volunteer groups, the purpose of the work is to improve the project, in the commercial groups, the competition is what drives improvement and innovation.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Well, at first glance... Reply with quote

Skreems wrote:
The question now is whether you want to leave the relatively helpful Gentoo forum for one filled with "Isn't this a Gentoo ripoff" posts in amongst the help.

I'd neve leave gentoo, i was just interested in other similar distros. And since they don't have documentation i couldn't figgure it out from the page.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: