Bootstrapping on a 712/60
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Bootstrapping on a 712/60 Reply with quote

Does anyone know how long it takes (or can give an estimate) to bootstrap on an ancient machine such as this?
It's got 128MB RAM and runs at a whopping 60MHz.

Vu.
Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang. just segfaulted again.
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vu,

712/60 should definitely work so maybe its a problem with bad memory.

Could be worth upgrading the firmware if you haven't got the latest:

Readme: http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/kernels/712/PF_C7120023.txt
Firmware: http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/kernels/712/PF_C7120023

-Andy
Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Squawker.
The 712 is up and running now from a stage 3 tarball, although it's painfully slow. I haven't touched it since it finished though as Uni has started again.

btw the memory I'm using was pulled out of a C110, but I don't think there are incompatability probs, and I have no idea what firmware is running atm.

Vu.
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Vu,

You stripped a C110 to build up a 712/60? Well, I suppose the desktop footprint weighs heavily in the 712's favour, but the C110 is way faster (120MHz and a much bigger cache). Lack of builtin graphics is a minus with the C110 I guess.

On the OpenPA website the 712's are listed as using "old style" 72pin ECC SIMMS whilst the C110 uses "new style". Its not clear from the website whether they're supposed to be compatible. I once sent some "new style" SIMMS to a guy with a 715 and he couldn't use them. I also tried to put some in a 725/100 - that didn't work either.

But as long as the 712 is up and running now then there doesn't seem to be a problem. Might turn up again if you stress the memory with some heavy compilation though - 'emerge xfree86' comes to mind :wink:

-Andy
Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squawker,
The C110 wasn't working anyway, won't power up, won't post, although the power supply seems ok. It still has half it's banks filled with RAM. I'll end up chucking it if nobody wants a dead C110. It also has a graphics card (GSC bus). btw this is the first machine I've seen with an EISA bus. I would have wanted to have a bit of fun with this machine if it worked.

The memory seems ok, I forgot what the part number is, but I think it will be fine. I haven't touch the machine for a while though since Uni has started again. Besides I just got a hold of an old Ultra1 to play with at some point :)

I don't think I have enough disk space to compile xfree, but when I have some time, I think I'll have to give it a shot. might take a few months...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: