Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Keeping alias settings in kde konsole, ntfs mount problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Keeping alias settings in kde konsole, ntfs mount problems Reply with quote

My first question is quite simple. I have a bunch of alias's in my /etc/profile and when I run a konsole in KDE they're not being loaded in and I have no idea how to do this? I know I can type "souce /etc/profile" and it loads them in but I'm looking for the proper solution.

This hard drive has 4 partitions on it. 1-NTFS, 2-Reiser, 3-NTFS, 4-NTFS, all primary partitions. Mounting the first partition isn't a problem but if I try to mount 3 or 4 it gives me this error:
Quote:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda3, or too many mounted file systems

Which I figure is meaningless since it's obviously not either of those problems.

My fstab entry looks like this "/dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp-d ntfs" and this mounts the first partition fine, but switching hda1 to hda3 or 4 gives the error.

The only difference I can think of between the 1st partition and 3/4 is 3/4 were created and formatted in windows xp, while the first one was probably created in win2k. 3/4 also have 16K cluster sizes if that makes any difference.

I may just change them to fat32 but xp refused to make fat32 partitions that big, reading into it a little more I found out that although xp refuses to make fat32 partitions that big you can apparently use partition magic to make them and xp will read them just fine.
gschneider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit the shortcut to your console.
add a "-ls" parameter to the command. (for login shell)
then you will have the proper aliases

could you post your /etc/fstab and the output of "fdisk -l"
it would be helpful.

Regards,
Gerald
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gschneider wrote:
edit the shortcut to your console.
add a "-ls" parameter to the command. (for login shell)
then you will have the proper aliases

don't (you will login more then once that way)

edit your .bashrc and in there do a "source /etc/profile" and if you want ls color, do this:
"alias ls=ls --color " (last space is important!)

and as for your mount problem:
what options do you use with the ntfs partition? if none, put in default otherwise you get this (had it). Furthermore: try mounting the partition manually with verbose output etc. :
"mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/ntfs2 -o ro,verbose -t ntfs" see if it this fails (and why)

greetz Ozy
gschneider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozymandias wrote:

don't (you will login more then once that way)

sorry, but thats not correct. I'm using it. And I'm not asked to login.

Regards,
Gerald
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, your right, but just type in "w" (or look at your gtkrellm screen) it will tell you that you that there are (amount of terminals +1) users logged onto your system. Besides, GTerm and Konsole both can login from their prefs menu.

greetz Ozy
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the aliases working by putting "source /etc/profile" as suggested. Why did putting my aliases directly into .bashrc not work, but adding the source line does?

Here's the info requested:
Code:

/dev/hda2               /               reiser          noatime,notail          0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera     vfat noauto
/dev/hda1               /mnt/winxp_c    ntfs noauto,defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3               /mnt/winxp_d    ntfs noauto,defaults 0 0
/dev/hda4               /mnt/winxp_e    ntfs noauto,defaults 0 0

Code:

Disk /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7299 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
                                Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1   *         1       509   4088511    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2           510      1018   4088542+  83  Linux
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3          1019      4078  24579450    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4          4079      7299  25872682+   7  HPFS/NTFS

Code:

Malakin01 root # mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/winxp_d -o ro,verbose -t ntfs
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda3,
       or too many mounted file systems

Thanks for you help ;)
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the /etc/profile sources other files too, if that is what you mean. And then, if you login, only /etc/profile gets loaded. But when you start bash (manually or with starting a Konsole) then bash only reads .bashrc .. (does this answer your question?)

about the strange mounts, donno looks allright, perhaps leave out the defaults but that could not be it. Do you run XP home edition, that ntfs 5 is a bit limited (no encryption and compression support AFAIK) perhaps it notes this somewhere and the ntfs driver doesn't expect this and breaks .. donno

greetz Ozy
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's XP Pro.

What I meant was, when I put an alias into .bashrc, it's not there when I run konsole, but if I put the alias into profile and then add the source profile line then it is read in, this I don't understand. Why when I put the alias lines right into .bashrc they don't work?
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Konsole settings Reply with quote

None of these worked for me. First of all, where is the .bashrc? There wasn't one in /root. When I tried to add the -ls to the command line in the properties for Konsole, it didn't stick. When I would save then go back in, the settings were back to the way they were.

Brian
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi brian,

the .bashrc is indeed hidden (ie 'ls -la'), but mostly simply does not excist. If not, just make one and bash will read it on startup.

suc6

greetz Ozy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: