Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How often do you update your packages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you "emerge --update world"?
Once an hour
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Twice a Day
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Once a Day
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Twice a Week
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Once a Week
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Twice a Month
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Once a Month
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Once a Year
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I never have...
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 50

digicosm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: How often do you update your packages? Reply with quote

Just curious how often I should be doing this... does it ever tend to break your system?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never "emerge --update world". I run "emerge -up world", look at what's new, and make a decision about which packages to update explicitly. "emerge -u world" can't exactly break your system, but if there is an insufficiently tested package that gets updated, and you encounter a bug, some functionality that you consider critical might stop working.

So I recommend that for all packages that you consider "necessary" (especially for folks like me for whom CPU time is more expensive than hard disk space), build binary versions of them when you make them. That way, if you encounter a problem with an upgrade, falling back is easy. And by only upgrading some things bit by bit, it's easier to isolate which change causes problems.

Remember, though, this is just a personal opinion, and I'm not trying to force it on anybody. One nice thing about Gentoo is that there's plenty of room for people with lots of different update strategies.
DocSilly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, an # emerge rsync + # emerge -up world a day (it keeps the doctor away :lol: ) ... then I might manually emerge some of the few new ebuilds.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. emerge -pu world, look at the options and maybe upgrade them. For example, I have not (and won't until I have a good reason or 2nd computer), upgraded gcc.

Really depends on what wants upgrading. I think I upgraded from portage 2.0.3 to twenty something... high teens anyway. Since then, I've been updating it cautiously. I do an rsync/emerge -pu world about once per day.
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I isntall something new I check for updates. Other than that, about once every few days.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerge rsync && emerge -u world whenever I remember that it has to be done. That could be anything between one day and one week.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically don't have a whole lot of packages on my system and thus there isn't a need to update all that often, but I would highly recommend being cautious with your updating. Also, it might be a good idea to get in the habit of looking at the News & Announcements page to see what GLSA advisories have come out that affect gentoo packages and what should be done to resolve them.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it irritating because I use a fair few masked packages and it always wants to 'upgrade' them to unmasked versions. KDE is very noteable here, I'm running 3.1beta1 and it wants to switch me to 3.0.3. Perhaps I should learn to install that kind of thing with --oneshot...

Anyway, I very rarely do this, and usually only with -p to see if anything critical needs updating, which I then emerge by hand. Like Portage, which I'm doing now. Except it also wants linux-headers, glibc, baselayout and a load of other stuff including tk and python upgrading as well. I always get nervous when baselayout gets merged for some reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maw wrote:
I find it irritating because I use a fair few masked packages and it always wants to 'upgrade' them to unmasked versions. KDE is very noteable here, I'm running 3.1beta1 and it wants to switch me to 3.0.3.
I've read that a future version of Portage might contain profiling which would enable you to alter this. Currently, you can modify the /etc/make.profile/packages file, but it will be overwritten each rsync.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do tend to update every day (or at my work computer, every business day), but I also do "emerge -pu world" and look things over. If it's all little things (tar, unzip, bash, etc.) I just go for it, otherwise I'm more cautious. Of course last night I decided to experiment with the new --deep option and had to go and recompile QT and kdelibs to get myself back on track. Oh well...
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my testing-gentoo i do emerges quite regular (once a week).
If it seems to make sence and the testing-gentoo is stable i install the binaries on my gentoo-prod.
So my gentoo-prod is quite save from beeing corrupted by borked packages or portage-problems.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
maw wrote:
I find it irritating because I use a fair few masked packages and it always wants to 'upgrade' them to unmasked versions. KDE is very noteable here, I'm running 3.1beta1 and it wants to switch me to 3.0.3.
I've read that a future version of Portage might contain profiling which would enable you to alter this. Currently, you can modify the /etc/make.profile/packages file, but it will be overwritten each rsync.

Yes, and that's very irritating indeed. I accept that it needs to be kept up-to-date, but then I have to go and unmask loads of stuff like gtkmm2 again.
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I feel so lazy now :oops: I don't emerge rsync more than once a week, then it's just emerge -pu world to see what's new. It's usually stuff I don't use everyday, so it's not worth the time. I can't remember the last time I did an actual emerge -u world and let everything go. It's been at least 6 weeks or more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: