1st boot hangs: Now, can't recompile kernel {SOLVED}
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: 1st boot hangs: Now, can't recompile kernel {SOLVED} Reply with quote

I just finished the install, and am trying to boot for the first time. I get:

SILO Boot:

Remapping the kernel...done.
Booting Linux....

And there it sits...I hear disc going for a bit..then silence.

Any suggestions where to look?

I did kernel version 2.6.4-rc2

My SILO conf looks like
partition=1
root=/dev/sda4
timeout=15

image=/boot/
kernel-2.6.4-4c2
label=linux

I'm pretty bare bones on the kernel config...since its scsi, I took out all the IDE stuff. I double checked ath ext2 and ext3 filesystems are there...I only used those. I double checked the guide that all the essential parameters are checked.

The kernel after running strip on it..was about 3.3M...and that should be ok for an Ultra2 using sparc64 from what I read.

I copied the silo.conf to the /boot directory. When I ran silo on it..said it was ok.

I'm a little stumped now. This is my first sun install...and first time with a 2.6 kernel config. I followed the instructions pretty much to a 't'.

The only thing I can see so far as a possibility, is in the kernel, nothing was checked for init.d. I'm trying to do set that (I've booted back in with LiveCD)...but, when I try to recompile the kernel...it blows up with messages like:

arch/sparc64/kerrnel/built-in.o ( .init.text+0x634) in function 'setup_arch'
:undefined reference to 'rd_prompt'

another one similar to this at 0x66c

And two other messages with undefined references to 'rd_image_start' at 0x648 and 0x644.

I tried a make clean and tried make && make modules_install....still blows with same messages.

I was able to compile everything into the kernel that I though I'd need just to get going...some things I didn't know what they were...compiled as modules (they were defaulted that way in make menuconfig)...I don't have any modules I put into the autoload directory. I have filesystems, keyboard, mouse, smp..most everything in the kernel.

That's about all I can think of to post...I'm so close to getting this thing to boot, I can almost taste it...but, am missing something somewhere I guess...

Oh, hardware...Ultra2, 512M ram, dual 300Mhz processors..happy meal nic...

Not a creator 3d...what video card is this? I think I checked them all as compiled into kernel.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

cayenne

Last edited by cayenne on Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess I'd say you haven't got the right framebuffer drivers in the kernel.

Is it stopping or can you just not see anything?

Start in Device Drivers / Graphics Support, and as a last resort try PROM Console option in Console Display Driver support.

If you're struggling to make the kernel small enough, you might find upgrading SILO to 1.4.4 helps as well.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: I think that was it...now can't recompile kernel Reply with quote

Mark Clegg wrote:
At a guess I'd say you haven't got the right framebuffer drivers in the kernel.

Is it stopping or can you just not see anything?

Start in Device Drivers / Graphics Support, and as a last resort try PROM Console option in Console Display Driver support.

If you're struggling to make the kernel small enough, you might find upgrading SILO to 1.4.4 helps as well.

Thanks...I think this was it. I'm trying to get one of two almost identical boxes going..first was was a creator3d, which I found to have hardware probs. This one that I'm posting about is a regular creator...but, I must have had 3D..and compiled in the wrong framebuffer.

In dmesg..it appears to be cgsix, I changed to that in the kernel config.

My problem is now...I cannot seem to recompile the kernel. I've set the option...I've tried just doing make, I've done make clean then make...I've saved my .config....and done mrproper in there...after mrproper, it seems to try to compile longer..but, they all blow up with about the same messages...and I cannot find anything on the forums on this at all.

I've booted with LiveCD 2004.00....mounted all my partitions, including /boot. I've chrooted in..and tried the steps above. This is about where it crashes on make:

dnsdomainname: Host name lookup failure
UPD include/linux/compile.h
CC init/version.o
LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp/vmlinux1

arch/sparc64/kerrnel/built-in.o ( .init.text+0x634) in function 'setup_arch'

arch/sparc64/kerrnel/built-in.o ( .init.text+0x638) in function 'setup_arch'
:undefined reference to 'rd_image_start'

arch/sparc64/kerrnel/built-in.o ( .init.text+0x664) in function 'setup_arch'
:undefined reference to 'rd_image_start'

arch/sparc64/kerrnel/built-in.o ( .init.text+0x66c) in function 'setup_arch'

make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Any ideas out there? All I did was try to compile in the correct framebuffer...and the init.d support...

Thanks in advance!

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Stuck... Reply with quote

Any ideas out there...I'm stuck dead in the water. I've chrooted back in, and can't recompile the kernel with the framebuffer I need to use...

I'm gonna hate having to start from scratch...is this a bug?
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried with Framebuffer drivers not loaded and PROM Console on instead. - That'll at least give you some output that you can see whilst you work on main problem....
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Mark Clegg wrote:
Have you tried with Framebuffer drivers not loaded and PROM Console on instead. - That'll at least give you some output that you can see whilst you work on main problem....

I'm confused...

After finishing install..I rebooted. It locked up. I booted from the LiveCD, turned on swap, mounted the drives in the /mnt/gentoo folder...and chrooted into that environment again.

From the chrooted env. I saw that in the menuconfig for he kernel (2.6)..I had indeed chosen the wrong framebuffer. I changed this setting to cgsix ...and also added the init.d part into the kernel. I try to compile this...and it keeps blowing on compile with the errors listed above.

So, I'm stuck..can't boot the original kernel from install. Can't recompile the kernel from chrooted enironment.

I'm not sure what a prom console is...but, I'm not sure it will help me in my situation here. Thanks for the suggestion...if the prom console thing would work..could you give me a little more info on what it is...how to use it to fix this situation so I can compile a correct kernel?

TIA,

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

I've been going over, and over again on what else I might have changed in the kernel config before the fb thing.

I finally found the culprit...I had seen the choice for Initial Ram Disk initd
From the help I read on it...it said it was needed for the bootloader to load modules and stuff.

Upon re-reading it again...it mentioned LILO or loadlin....I guessed this time..that it ONLY meant those, and no SILO. I un-checked it...kernel compiled.

Now, with correct framebuffer...I'm in like Flint...booted right up..now I can start using this sucker!!!

I just gotta figure out what all the parts compiled as modules are actually named to get them loaded as I need them..but, that's another adventure!!

Thanks to all!!

cayenne
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's working.

For info,

the PROM Console can be used instead of a framebuffer, and outputs in the same way as the OpenPROM startup banner, scrolling the screen in that font.

In a way, it makes it pretty much like a PC booting in text mode.

Not sure you'd get any graphics with this mode though. I just thought it might help get you booting from the hard disk whilst the framebuffer was diagnosed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: