Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
For the love of god... DRI and ATI, WTF?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: For the love of god... DRI and ATI, WTF? Reply with quote

Im about to haul my unhappy butt back over to Slackware.

Please, if anyone knows how to get a Radeon working under Gentoo, write a concise howto, because this is starting to really get on my last nerve.

I just want to be able to take a break an do some fraggin!

Argh!
phaze3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Radeon working fine under Gentoo, I can quite happily frag away.
Make sure you have

Code:
Load "dri"

In you XF86 config file and that you're not using Xinerama.

What does
Code:
xdypinfo |grep DRI
produce?
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post any oddities in your /var/log/XFree86.log file dealing with DRM and DRI, it'll be toward the end. I had this problem and fixed it two days ago but I need to know if it's the same problem or not.

Problem:
Code:

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] created "radeon" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0xd8892000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xd8892000 to 0x40017000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xd8000000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] radeon.o kernel module version is 1.1.1 but version 1.2.x is needed.
[dri] see http://gatos.sf.net/ for an updated module
[dri] Disabling DRI.
(EE) RADEON(0): [drm] failed to remove DRM signal handler
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
DRIUnlock called when not locked
phaze3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the default XFree86 drivers BTW, not the Gatos drivers that ASCI Blue is using..
Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Although I appreciate the offers for help with troubleshooting, I must admit that Im finished with the whole thing. I have tried uncountable ways of configuring DRI and I just don't want to do it anymore.

f someone has setup thier install with the XFS-patched gentoo kernel and has gotten DRI to work with an ATI Radeon, PLEASE write up a step-by-step howto for those of us who are just plain tired of working on it.

It's funny that I only require X with opengl, fluxbox, tcl/tk, and a handfull of net apps (browser, newsreader, mailer) yet no distrobution in the world has been able to meet these modest requirements.
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, we've got much in common. I too am using a XFS system. So here's step by step how I did it the first time.

1. During kernel compile had DRI support enabled, agpgart and Radeon module created.

2. emerge xfree, this takes care of mesa, then ran xf86config
2.5. nanoed my /etc/X11/XF86Config file changed driver from "ati" to "radeon" added Section "DRI" Mode 0666 EndSection.

3. emerged svgalib (no clue what it does but it worked)

4. emerged glut as some pieces of software needed it.

5. modprobed radeon and agpgart, also added them to my /etc/modules.autoload file.

6. Ran glxinfo to see if DRI and hardware acceleration was enabled and prayed.

My personal disclaimer, I have no clue why I needed the Gatos files and the updated kernel module. The error I got said that I needed a newer module and I compiled the new module to get it working. The good thing about Gatos though is the fact all of my Radeon's features work including the Rage Theatre.
Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update:

After screwing with it all day, I finally have DRI working. If anyone else runs into problems with glxinfo reporting DRI working, but glxgears causes your box to take a hard dive, try setting the agp speed in XF86Config. That worked for me. (Had to set mine to 4)

Now, although I have everything working, my install is hosed. I can no longer emerge anything. Binaries are built in /var/tmp/portage/some_package/image, but never installed. I can usualy cp everything from that dir recursively to / and make it work, but that of course causes major permission problems.

Ugh. Gentoo is great in theory, horrible in practice.

Quick ATI Radeon howto:

Install Gentoo. Make sure your dri driver is a MODULE! Compiling agpgart into the kernel worked for me.
emerge rsync
install whatever bloat you require (kde, gnome, whatever)
NOTE: just X is fine if you don't want the bloated window manager/ desktop environments
do: opengl-update xfree
configure X
If you avoided kde and gnome, install fluxbox/ wm / whatever
Youre done.

Don't bother getting anything from dri.sourceforge.net

If it doesnt work, I recomend slackware, which is what I'll probably go back to since it ALWAYS works the first time.
Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCI Blue wrote:

2.5. nanoed my /etc/X11/XF86Config file changed driver from "ati" to "radeon" added Section "DRI" Mode 0666 EndSection.

I too had to change from
Driver "ati"

to

Driver "radeon"

I'm glad you mentioned that, someone might have fond themselves frustrated for no reason.

Now if I could just emerge unmerge * and start all over....
cbm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: radeon 8500 not yet supported by DRI? Reply with quote

hey guys,

i've been halfheartedly trying to get DRI working on my new system and i just noticed the following in my /var/log/XFree86.0.log

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering not yet supported on Radeon 8500

I'm not sure what radeon cards everyone else here is using but maybe the people that got DRI working have Radeon 7500s? I know i bought the ATI Radeon 8500 (not the expensive All-In-Wonder version) and at the time it cost the same as the All-In-Wonder 7500 - maybe i made the wrong decision.
Maybe CVS versions of the DRI would work or something but i don't really have time to worry about it right now :(
Anyway, ATI supplies pretty good specs for their cards so i'm sure DRI will work eventually (unlike some other popular video card vendors)

Anyway, if you have a 8500 and got things working please let me know!!

Cheers,
Colin
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 3d support yet for the Radeon 8500 unless you want to pay $99 for drivers. A company called Xig makes some, the benefit is that the performance is ungody, Radeon 8500 will flatten a GF3 Ti500. These drivers were designed for professional level graphics people in mind.

I do have atleast one friend who has a Radeon 7500 working in Linux. IMO unless you NEED openGL stick with that 8500, the 7500 is really just a beefed up R100 (Radeon classic) chip with a few added features or a crippled 8500 depending how you look at it.
swagr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Mobility LY (on Compaq Evo N600c) Reply with quote

ATI Radeon Mobility LY (on Compaq Evo N600c)

Works!
glxgears runs at 603fps!
fullscreen 1024x768 gltron 58 fps MINIMUM.

What I did:
Installed from the 1.1a ISO.

Kernel: dri, and radeon dri compiled IN (NOT AS MODULES).

XFree: Just emerged it. Ran XFree86 -configure as root.

XF86Config: uncomment the 'Option "AGPMode"' line with appropriate setting (4 in my case).

Add to "Screen" section:
DefaultDepth 16

Append to XF86Config file:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job swagr. :D
binkus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ash and swagr,

I've been wrestling with trying to get DRI working with my ATI Rage 128 Pro (AGP) and I've tried every suggestion posted here in the forums. But it seems all I had wrong from the beginning was my AGPMode needed to be set to 4 and my DefaultDepth needed to be 16.

Thanks again!
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCI Blue wrote:
A company called Xig makes some, the benefit is that the performance is ungody, Radeon 8500 will flatten a GF3 Ti500. These drivers were designed for professional level graphics people in mind.

Just as an aside, XiG also do drivers and custom X-Servers for a variety of cards ( including the Matrox line ) and a variety of operating systems. A few universities ( Uni of Tech, Sydney for one ) use these X-Servers in their Linux graphics labs.

Move 'XiG'... for great rendering.

Curious.
cbm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Radeon 8500 DRI update Reply with quote

ok i've got DRI enabled using the gatos ati.2 driver (glxgears locks my system hard so i would say things are not quite right, but hey, yet but its a start :) )

here's what i have:
MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard (Via 266a chipset)
ATI Radeon 8500 (not the all-in-wonder)
Viewsonic VG171b LCD panel (currently using the analog input because of some scaling problems on the console)

what i did:
1) i build my system from a stage 1 gentoo 1.1a cd about 3 weeks ago. nothing really special at first - i think X 4.2.0 was built during the emerge system part of the install.
2) I emerged the gentoo-sources r1 kernel and later the r5 one. This turned out to be a mistake (see later)
3) I used XFree86 -configure to build a basic config file and the tweaked to get my mouse and monitor the way i wanted them.
4) i did change the
Driver "ati"
to
Driver "radeon"
under Section "Device" as mentioned by someone in a previous post (though i later determined that the ati driver will automatically load the radeon driver as mentioned in the X documentation)
5) i also added the:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
stuff to the end of my XF86config (though this should only effect non-root users and i did all my testing as root)
6) at this point, i played around and kept checking my /var/log/XFree.0.log but it always said direct rendering disabled. I also found (as i posted above that radeon 8500's are not yet supported by the standard DRI.
7) i then noticed that someone above mentioned gatos drivers to i went and read about them and they supposedly support the 8500 so i ran "emerge ati-gatos". AFAIR this resulted in an error about version 1.1 of the drm kernel module whereas the dri was version 1.2 (or something like that anyway). i *guess* this means the the ati-gatos ebuild is out of date?
8) i went to gatos.sf.net and downloaded the latest binaries for the ati.2 driver:
ATI-4.2.0-11.i386.tar.gz
drm-kernel-1.2.0-11.tar.gz
(i later tried drm-kernel from cvs but haven't tried compiling the ATI part myself (i tihnk i involves rolling your own X from scratch))
I followed the instructions to instlal these (basically backup your /usr/X11R6 and then move the ATI-4.2.0-11.i386.tar.gz to /usr
and untar it (i will overwrite a bunch of stuff in your X11R6 dir)) The drm-kernel package (untar it pretty much anywhere (i use /usr/src/other))
contains a radeon.o module. Now you probably already have a radeon.o module from your kernel so don't modprobe that (take it out of modules.autoload or modprobe -r radeon)
then
insmod /usr/src/other/drm-kernel/radeon.o
(make sure you specify the entire path and don't use modprobe or you'll get the original kernel radeon.o)
9) start X and then check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log and hopefully you'll see:
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
after X starts you can run glxinfo and it should also say that direct rendering is on

Unfortunately, when i run glxgears (or an opengl xmms plugin) my system hangs (alt-ctrl-del won't work even though interestingly my mp3s keep playing; note the magic SysRq keys work to sync,umount and reboot)

So there you go - way more details then you probably wanted to know but hopefully it will help someone! also if you read this and actually get your 8500 going, *please* let me know how :)

Thats it for me for a while anyway! I don't want to use proprietrary software (Xig) -- if i wanted to use non-free software i would've bought an nVidia card.
I may just wait til someone with more hardware knowhow then me gets 8500 support into the official DRI (maybe in X 4.3.0)

Colin
Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbm:

Don't forget to set your agpmode in XF86Config to whatever it is in the BIOS.

If it says direct rendering is enabled, yet you lock up hard, that *may* take care of it, as that was the exact same symptoms I had.

Somehow, in all the changes, I nuked portage to the point of no return, so I am rebuilding everything tonight. One I have the system up and running again, I'll have a fresh new install to screw up... i'm thinking i may give ati-gatos another go. If i make it work, I'll post the results.
cbm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: agpmode Reply with quote

unfortunately i already tried that (forgot to mention it in my post) i've tried 1,2,4 (my bios is set to Auto) (maybe i will try specifying 1 in my bios and then see if that works). Will report back after i try it.

btw, i also tried these (which i think someone mentioned above):
Option "AGPMode2x"
Option "composite_sync" "off"
with no effect. (the agpmode2x doesn't seem to be a valid option)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: