Explaination of LiveCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazydesert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Explaination of LiveCD Reply with quote

Could someone explain the concept of the live cd to me. i'm not sure that i comprehend it all.. thanks!
SilverSnake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm not really an expert at this area, but as I've understood it the Live CD is simply an ISO that they try to keep as up-2-date as possible with what you might want on the CD and will always be the latest version.

This way it's real easy to directly link from other places to the "latest" version, as it's the Live CD, and it's easy to come here and know which one to download.

I guess I might have missed some of the ideas behind it, but that is how I interpreted it at least. :)
lazydesert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright,
is this interpretation correct ?

the livecd is a bootable cd
boots to gentoo linux as a working installation where you're free to do anything (almost) you would with a hard drive based installation.
the unreal livecd includes unreal which you'd be able to play after booting to this cd.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read no documentation on them, but I think the unreal version simply contains a demo (Unreal is a copywritten/pay for game, no?), so including the actual game wouldn't be legal.

As for the other livecd, I was under the impression it was an Installation CD to install a very basic Gentoo system that allows you to download and install the apps you choose.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveCD's are operating systems that can boot off a CD and do useful work, without needing to write to a hard drive. They can be used to demonstrate a program ( like the UT2003 one ), repair problems, begin installs from 'neutral' space, create workstations without hard drives ( use network storage ) and work on machines that may have been privacy compromised.

I think the best LiveCD in the world at the moment is the Knoppix CD, which you can get in English and German ( and I think Spanish and Japanese ), and includes Open Office, KDE2, some license free MP3's, wallpapers, network daemons, ssh, etc etc etc. It's a complete system. :-)

You can check it out here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

-- Curious
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: