kernel 2.5.x w/ Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: kernel 2.5.x w/ Gentoo Reply with quote

Anyone else tried it? I was feeling dangerous so I downloaded and compiled 2.5.39, ran into some compile errors with ACPI and my RivaTNT framebuffer, but after disabling them the kernel compile went just fine. Things I've noticed when running it :

:arrow: Your basic memory usage counters (like the gnome applet) gives 0% all the time.
:arrow: Nvidia-kernel does not support 2.5.x kernel :(
:arrow: Somewhat increased disk accessing overall then with 2.4.19.
:arrow: Things most certainly run smoother, doesn't necessarily start faster though.
:arrow: No bugs or quirks found yet, so I'll continue use it until it choose to crash something.

Only bad thing really was that nvidia-kernel doesn't support 2.5.x yet, but the basic "nv" driver is good enough for me at the moment since X really is slow either way. The gentoo development kernel is just at 2.5.33 (the one in the portage tree) and that one still have alot of good VM and I/O stuff left out so if you feel dangerous too do use 2.5.39 or higher.

My kernel was about 1.2MB now, and 800KB with old 2.4.19, both using basically same settings so I hope these new 400KB of code will do something good for my gentoo baby. According to what I've read, the new stuff I'm running is massive enough so Linus is considering making the up coming 2.6 to 3.0 instead due to all the changes and improvements. :wink:

Edit:
I had it compiled with alot of debugging enabled which obviously is on by default in development kernels (go figure), disabled them and recompiled, now it's about 1MB and I got more memory free on boot, whee!

Last edited by Lowspirit on Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found "Gentoo and Kernel 2.5", which may or may not be useful to someone.
morck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is actually a way to get the NVidia driver working with the kernel 2.5.x.
i once saw a patch for the old driver 1.0-2880 .... so u probably just have to search the web for a newer patch.

cya,
morck
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Further "optimizations" Reply with quote

I've actually noticed that the "nv" driver is no slower at all then "nvidia", if anything I've actually found it to be faster on 2D desktop stuff, and since I don't play any games this is just yet another piece of candy to make my Gentoo go even smoother, saving me from all the hassles that come with Nvidias closed source kernel drivers.

Also replaced my ext3 with ReiserFS even though my previous experience with reiser was bad, and I think it's pretty safe to say this is the smoothest, fastest running Gentoo I've ever had running (hoping reiser doesn't decide to go corrupt on me).

In raw speed Gentoo easily beats my WindowsXP install fair and square now on a mere PIII 500, only thing holding it back is XFree and it's slowness. If I owned a Matrox i'd been all over Directfb a long time ago, but until some revolution happens with the X interface, I can only dream back to BeOS and it's out of the box 2D kickass smooth GUI performance.

Any tips beyond these things to further improve/enhance would be much appreciated, I'm on a roll :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: