Stage 2 emerge system hung
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goulartca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Stage 2 emerge system hung Reply with quote

Last night (after I figured what my SATA was being called :) ) I resumed the stage 2 installation of Gentoo on my AMD64 box. Everything seemed to be going well until I did the "emerge system".

The "emerge" process started running and downloading components from the mrror site, and started the compilation process. Since everything was (apparently) going according to the installation instructions, I left the machine running and went to do something else. When I came back, about one hour later, the process was hung on what seemed to be a very, very long gcc call.

The make.conf file I used was the one generated by the script with the following exceptions:

- added "-pipe" to "CFLAGS" (also looked for -mcpu/-march parameters but could not find correct value for amd64)
- added "-gtk -gnome KDE alsa dvd cdrom" to USE variable
- added 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~AMD64"'

Would any of these changes explain the hung process I experienced? If not, what should I look for to troubleshoot this? I would hate to have to start over and lose everything I had done prior to launching "emerge".

Any help will be appreciated.
80 Gb Western Digital SATA drive
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm not sure but the mcpu/march is fairly important i think. i don't know if this is the problem, but anyway, i think you should REALLY find out what to put there since it defines for which cpu/arch type the program is built. in the end a compiled program may not even start on your machine.

tom
goulartca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elektrohirn,

Thanks for your response. I checked the GCC options page and found mcpu and march options for every platform under the sun, except for AMD64. They do state that the x86-64 compiler enable most of the options for the AMD64 platform by default.

Since a different gcc is required to generate x86-64 code I am thinking that the march/mcpu options are irrelevant and set by default. That said, if someone knows of anything that should go in those options that may resolve the problem described above, feel free to jump in and show me how little I know about this stuff.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post the output of the emerge process? any error messages, or did it just hung? if it just hung, it's more likely a hardware problem. if gcc can't compile for some reason, it usually will output at least something that looks like an error message.

did you overclock your hardware? is the memory ok and of good quality? compiling can really stress the system, so one weak component could easily hang everything.

tom
goulartca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process just hung with no error messages. Since it is a new box, it may well be a hardware issue. I am going to take it to the shop I bought the parts from and see what kind of test they can run.

Do you know of any test/diagnostic programs that I could use to check the system?

Thanks again for your help.

Cesar
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may try cpuburn, stress, lmbench or tiobench (all in portage). try to emerge & run them, perhaps this helps.

tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: