Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freespirit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, might try the voltage thing...

Only thing that worries me, is that while doing the testing with memtest86+ and switching the ram sticks around, i found they were quite warm to the touch after running 10-20 minutes of heavy testing... Won't they get even warmer with more voltage applied?

Thanks for the tip though!! :-)
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windex82 wrote:
muthax wrote:
I started from stage 3, couldn't be arsed to wait wanted to have a system up and running fast, then leave it recompile everything overnight.

since im already half convinced its the ram, im currently attempting to use an older stick of (known good) ram its only ddr2100 so i completly forgot about having another usable stick in this system... i figure it would at least tell me definitly one way or another weather this ram is toast or not.. if it screws up with this stick ill begin working on that stage three...

How do you go about recompiling a stage three to end up with what you would with stage1? (does that make sense?)

If you are having trouble with RAM use memtest86. I think that it is on the amd64 bootcd now, just check the available boot images. If not just emerge it and have grub boot it. Its fast easy and very helpful. Otherwise you are wasting your time compiling ;)
mieses
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the DRAM voltage setting on Asus Socket 939 boards is very important for stability

I just compiled gentoo for amd64 on an Asus SK8V + 2x1GB modules. Everything compiled and works. I then added 2 more 1GB modules for a total of 4GB with all 4 slots filled. Booting into memtest86+ (v.1.11) produced thousands of errors. I raised the DRAM voltage to 2.7V and the memtest errors went away. I assume that different types of RAM require different voltages.. so 2.7V may not be the magic number for everyone.

I wonder if I should recompile? The install seemed to run ok even though I later received errors with 4 modules. Maybe installing with 2 modules saved me because the default voltage was enough to handle 2 modules but not 4.

*edit* I take it back. gentoo is not booting with 4GB installed on the SK8V. It may be a power supply issue, or the memory is inadequate.
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windex82 wrote:
system: athlon64 3200+; ecs 755-a motherboard;

Would you care to elaborate on your experiences with that motherboard, and with the SiS 755/964 chipset it uses? At least a couple of us are considering the ASRock K8S8X, which uses that chipset, but we're wondering about Linux driver compatibility. (Hard information is, well, hard to come by, if you'll excuse the pun.) Do ATA (parallel and/or serial), Ethernet, and audio work with stock Linux drivers? Have you needed to apply any special tweaks? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Freespirit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching to another brand of memory saved the day for me!

Apparently the K8V is very picky when it comes to memory... Switching to one of the few recomended brands solved all memory issues... Did not even have to touch the memory voltage! :-)

My later problems with windows giving me the bsod every few minutes was solved by upgrading the bios... this issue did not affect gentoo however as gentoo was not installed on a serial ata hd like windoze... After upgrading the bios, the bios hd numbers were switched around, and now i can't get grub to boot windows on the sata hd, as it simply cannot se the disk, even though this is where grub is installed!!??

Who said it was easy being a nerd??? :-)
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windex82 wrote:
<snip>
so i havnt been able to run memtest86 (will it work reliably with an amd64 system?)

I assume you discovered already that it works fine. I used it to test my RAM on my FIS2R mobo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: