View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Installing: emerge sync locks up box Reply with quote

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has hit this before. I'm doing a new install. I'm chrooted in...doing emerge sync...and it scrolls lots of text by...and after a bit...just freezes. Keyboard is locked...nothing.

I had to cycle the box with the power switch...booted back up..chrooted again...started emerge sync..and it locked up again..at a different place...this time locked at part listing
games-board/knights/knights-0.6.ebuild.

Any ideas on this? Fans seem to be running fine..doesn't seem overly hot.

I can't use the keyboard at all...so, can't get into another term session on the box...

This is my first sparc install...not sure what to do next.

TIA,

cayenne
phygradmarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of machine are you installing?
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Machine descip Reply with quote

phygradmarko wrote:
What type of machine are you installing?

It is an Ultra2 Creator3d 1G ram, dual 300Mhz processors

2 x 9G drives.

I partitioned them:

/dev/sda1 /boot 32M
/dev/sda2 swap 512M
/dev/sda3 whole disk
/dev/sda4 / rest of disk

/dev/sdb1 /home 2G
/dev/sdb2 /var 7G
/dev/sdb3 whole disk

I believe I have a type 5 keyboard/mouse

The monitor is Sony GDA-20e20...it acts a bit weird..only comes on when computer is powered on...and none of controls on the front work (on-off, brightness, etc)

I booted the Live CD 2004.00 with the gentoo-smp options.

I got the latest stage one via links2.

I tried this a 3rd time...had sshd running on it...monitored it..seemed to be running much further...but, locked up again...

Thanks for any advice...I've never run into this before on x86's....

cayenne
phygradmarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I tried this a 3rd time...had sshd running on it...monitored it..seemed to be running much further...but, locked up again...

Is it possible your disk geometry is not correct? Can you post the output of:

Code:

fdisk /dev/sda
p (to print the geometry and partition table)

along with the disk model number? You may simply quit fdisk after this. Actually, the info for both disks will be useful...
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Disk layout Reply with quote

phygradmarko wrote:
Quote:

Is it possible your disk geometry is not correct? Can you post the output of:

Code:

fdisk /dev/sda
p (to print the geometry and partition table)

along with the disk model number? You may simply quit fdisk after this. Actually, the info for both disks will be useful...

Ok here they are:

Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 27 heads 133 sectors, 4924 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3591 * 512 bytes
Device Flag Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 0 17 30523+ 83 Linux native
/dev/sda2 u 18 296 499149 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda3 0 4924 8841042 5 Whole disk
/dev/sda4 u 297 4924 8307778+ 83 Linux native

The 2nd disk:

Disk /dev/sdb (Sun disk label): 27 heads 133 sectors, 4924 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3591 * 512 bytes
Device Flag Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 0 1088 1953504 83 Linux native
/dev/sdb2 1089 4924 6885742+ 83 Linux native
/dev/sdb3 0 4924 8841042 5 Whole disk

The only weird thing that happened was when setting up the partitions..it didn't seem to want to default right on the start partition after one partition had already been set..I had to look at the end...and add one manually..then it worked just fine. I just figured that was how fdisk worked on Sun or scsi.

I did a dmesg and this is what it appears I have for HDs:

Fujitsu Model MAE3091L SUN9.0G Rev: 0706
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI Revision: 02

It appears to be on fast wide scsi-iii.

I have ext on the /boot, and have ext3 on / /home and /var

/boot = /dev/sda1
/ = /dev/sda4
/home = /dev/sdb1
/var = /dev/sdb2
swap = /dev/sda2

I thought the disks were working ok...when I downloaded stage one...did fine saving it to disk. I untarred it...again, seemed to write to disk just fine.

I did not think I had to do the 's' option when using fdisk...the sun label seemed to already be there...this box had working solaris on it just before I did this install start.

MANY thanks for all the help...any suggestions or links greatly appreciated!!

cayenne
phygradmarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nearly identical disks and your geometry is fine...

Guess it is time to look elsewhere. You state you boot with gentoo-smp. Have you tried the uni-processor kernel?
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

phygradmarko wrote:
I have nearly identical disks and your geometry is fine...

Guess it is time to look elsewhere. You state you boot with gentoo-smp. Have you tried the uni-processor kernel?

Nope...I can give that a try. Are people not able to use both processors on these things?

I was wondering at first if I didn't have enough swap space..I'd run into that before..but, last time I tried emerge sync...I ssh'ed into the box while it was running...and with 1G of memory...it never seemed to ever use the swap..so, I ruled that out.

Will try with single processor kernel...

C
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Nope...died with single processor kernel Reply with quote

Hello!
:-(

Well, emerge sync died again. I tried using the single processor kernel on boot up this time..different place, but, completely locked up again.

Could it be the new version of Gentoo 3004.00? Has anyone else successfully installed the new version yet?

Should I try to burn an iso of the previous 1.4 version...and go from there?

Still looking for answers...

cayenne
webcommando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing: emerge sync locks up box Reply with quote

cayenne wrote:
I'm doing a new install. I'm chrooted in...doing emerge sync...and it scrolls lots of text by...and after a bit...just freezes. Keyboard is locked...nothing.

Are you absolutely sure it's locked up and not just dog-ass slow? Try it again and press Alt-F2 while it appears frozen to see if you can get a new terminal session.

I'm in the process of my first Gentoo install on an Ultra 5 and "emerge sync" kept timing out (I think the default is something like 3mins) pretty much exactly as you describe. It never actually locked up solid, though. It would eventually fall through to a failure message (after going through its 3 retries). Just conjecture since I haven't done it yet, but if the problem is that rsync is giving up before the processor has finished with a package an obvious thing to try would be increasing the timeout period.

I've been doing an "emerge-webrsync" since this afternoon -- going on 8-9 hrs at this point -- and it's also pausing for a long time on certain packages, but there's no timeout to worry about doing it that way.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing: emerge sync locks up box Reply with quote

webcommando wrote:
cayenne wrote:
I'm doing a new install. I'm chrooted in...doing emerge sync...and it scrolls lots of text by...and after a bit...just freezes. Keyboard is locked...nothing.

Are you absolutely sure it's locked up and not just dog-ass slow? Try it again and press Alt-F2 while it appears frozen to see if you can get a new terminal session.

I'm in the process of my first Gentoo install on an Ultra 5 and "emerge sync" kept timing out (I think the default is something like 3mins) pretty much exactly as you describe. It never actually locked up solid, though. It would eventually fall through to a failure message (after going through its 3 retries). Just conjecture since I haven't done it yet, but if the problem is that rsync is giving up before the processor has finished with a package an obvious thing to try would be increasing the timeout period.

I've been doing an "emerge-webrsync" since this afternoon -- going on 8-9 hrs at this point -- and it's also pausing for a long time on certain packages, but there's no timeout to worry about doing it that way.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it is stuck. The keyboard freezes, so, no way to get into another terminal session.

How does one change the timeout on rsync? I'd like to give this a chance before I try to install with the older LiveCD I just downloaded.

Dunno if this has anything to do with it, but, my CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=ultrasparc -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="sparc-linux-unknown-gnu"

Anyway, if I can find out how to change the timeout on the rsync...I'll give that a try...

EDIT: Decided to try emerge-webrsync I fire it off...just sits there with the"Fetching most recent snapshot", and a flashing prompt...but, doesn't look like any action whatsoever. Been sitting there doing that for tha past hour almost.

I noticed the the make.conf file was really sparse on this install..basicaly only had CFLAGS, CHOST and about 4 others...the only other thing was all the ftp sites I set with mirrorselect to put the mirrors on for download...on all other installs..at least there were a bunch of variables listed that you could uncomment and set...is this normal?

Thanks,

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Hardware? Reply with quote

Just a follow up...I tried emerge-webrsync....and it just stayed at the prompt. I cam in 2 hours later...hit shift to turn the monitor back on...and it appeared the system was locked up again.

Could this be a hardware (overheating) problem? I think I've left the root prompt from booting up from gentoo cd up this long...with no spontaneous lockups...and even when it had solaris on it...don't think it locked up either with being on for a few hours.

I'm running out of ideas here.

I have the gentoo sparc64 1.4_r5 cd I've burned...about to try that and see how it goes.

Any thoughts appreciated!

cayenne
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite possible it's a hardware issue. I have a similar setup, Ultra 2, 2x300 MHz procs, 384MB RAM, Creator3D and 2x18 GB drives, and emerge sync works fine here. Normally it's a bit hard for me to get it to lock up, when I'm not running really experimental stuff.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Failed again.. Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
It's quite possible it's a hardware issue. I have a similar setup, Ultra 2, 2x300 MHz procs, 384MB RAM, Creator3D and 2x18 GB drives, and emerge sync works fine here. Normally it's a bit hard for me to get it to lock up, when I'm not running really experimental stuff.

Thanks for the reply!! Ok...tried doing it from the 1.4_r5 iso...it seemed to be screaming through the emerge sync...got to the part where it said Updating Portage Cache with the spinning cursor...locked up tight...but, machine had not been on very long at all...so, I can't imagine it had been hot...it had been off for a couple hours.

I'm so new to sparc..these are my first ones..can anybody give me some links or insight as to what to look for in case it is hardware?

I've got another almost identical ultra2 dual 300 I bought...only 500M ram and not a 3D creator..just regular. May switch them and try install on it....will let you know if that goes any better.

Other than that...if it is hardware...any info would be greatly appreciated!!

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Update...doesn't lock if not trying to emerge sync... Reply with quote

An update: I'm puzzled. I've just booted up into the Live CD..got network connection...started sshd. I've opened up another session on the box..running top on one of them..trying to give it a little load but, not chrooting and doing the emerge sync or emerge-webrsync.

I was seeing if it would just lock up on its own...to try to narrow it down to see if it was overheating or something. It has been running fine for about 2+ hours at this time. Responsive...no problems.

So..I don't know where to go from here. Someone mentioned it might be some kind of timeout with emerge sync...how/where would I check/change this? I looked in the docs..don't see anything about a timeout factor.

I'm stuck bad...was hoping to have this up as a webserver this weekend...

Any more suggestions out there?

c
webcommando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Update...doesn't lock if not trying to emerge sync... Reply with quote

cayenne wrote:
Someone mentioned it might be some kind of timeout with emerge sync...how/where would I check/change this? I looked in the docs..don't see anything about a timeout factor.

I haven't changed mine yet to test, but the RSYNC_TIMEOUT setting in /etc/make.conf is what I was thinking of. It's commented out near the bottom of the default make.conf file. It just takes an integer value representing the number of seconds to wait before timing out:

RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180

At some point, I'm going to try jacking it up to more like 300-600 seconds to see if it makes any appreciable difference in my sync success rate.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: dammit.... Reply with quote

I am at my wit's freakin' end here...stupid POS will NOT update. I tried emerge-webrsync...let it go..opened another term...it finally started loading a snapshot...got to the part where it said Syncing local tree...

And WHAM....locks up solid again. Can alt-f2 to other term to watch top...no keyboard reaction...and when I ping it from another box..it gives host unreachable...

I just don't have a clue as to what to do next...eveything seems to work to a point...I've left it on....and all works, so, can't be heating problems. Only locks when I try emerge sync or emerge-webrsync.

Any possible ideas on what to do besides shoot this thing....

:-)

Thanks in advance...

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: I dunno what to try next... Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:

Ok, I'm back on trying to get this box past the original emerge sync. I've swapped out the RAM (1G) for totally new, sun branded ram. I've swapped out the Fujitsu harddrives. Started from scratch.

Thing still locks up on me cold.

I was able to put together another Ultra2, not a 3d, but, a normal creator, with half the ram, none of these problems.

I'm at my wits end, can someone please help me out here. Only things left to swap out are the mother board and processors...but, that's gotta be overkill, eh??

I'll try to add the rsync setting in my make.conf...but, dunno if that will work. When I emerge sync...it connects quite fast...and the text just starts flying past the screen......then, just stops...and keyboard locks up cold. Can't alt-f2 into another session...ssh doesn't respond.

I'm baffled...

cayenne :evil:
hardave
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from what you've done it sounds like the most likely problem now is your scsi controller/bus. If you have a sbus scsi card and some external disk try doing an install on that. If you don't have any spare cards or disk you could also try putting portage onto a tmpfs and try syncing. Just mount say a 512M tmpfs onto /usr/portage. Obviously this isn't permanant, but only for testing purposes. This should help narrow the problem down even more.
Risk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardave wrote:
Well from what you've done it sounds like the most likely problem now is your scsi controller/bus. If you have a sbus scsi card and some external disk try doing an install on that. If you don't have any spare cards or disk you could also try putting portage onto a tmpfs and try syncing. Just mount say a 512M tmpfs onto /usr/portage. Obviously this isn't permanant, but only for testing purposes. This should help narrow the problem down even more.

I should add that this problem was just experienced by me yesterday evening while doing an `emerge sync` on an Ultra 10/440MHz 512M (no scsi controller nor drives). I installed from the 2004.0 universal disk and did a stage1 build successfully a few weeks ago. Still have non-stop problems (no video, can't mount root, etc) with newly built kernels other than that supplied on the 2004.0 cd (2.4.24-r2). However, the system seems to be functioning normally.

That is until yesterday, when the system hard froze about 3 minutes after starting an 'emerge sync`. This was the only occurrence and subsequent attempts have been successful.

Similar symptoms as above. Thus, I would suggest not looking quite so hard at the SCSI subsystem as a probable culprit.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm...what about disk layout? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...I"m not sure what the deal on this box is. I've successfully put this on another Ultra2 box..only a couple of differences..it is not a 3d creatror...only 512 M Ram...and IBM drives instead of Fujitsu.

I did notice, that the install guide for sparc has changed since I started this, and it says things like "don't put /boot on a separate partition, and the the entire / directory has to be on the first partition less than 2G"??

As stated above, I have the following layout:

/dev/sda1 /boot 32M
/dev/sda2 swap 512M
/dev/sda3 whole disk
/dev/sda4 / rest of disk

/dev/sdb1 /home 2G
/dev/sdb2 /var 7G
/dev/sdb3 whole disk

The other box I installed on was very similar. Could this in some way be a problem? Have ya'll kept your / on the first partition less than 2G?

This is going to be a webserver, so, wanting to give plenty of room to the /var/www directory space for content...

Thanks for the input so far...please keep the suggestions coming...

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Still no answer Reply with quote

I've put this box away for awhile. Came back to it. Thinking maybe putting the whole /var dir on the 2nd disk might be making it pick. So, on the 2nd drive just put /home and /var/www with /var still being on the root partition on disk one.

Emerge sync...still locks up...

Anyone have any new ideas?

TIA,

cayenne
achmetbenmuli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What filesystem type do you use (except ext3 for your /home and /var)?
I had a similar problem with reiserfs and heavy disc traffic (but on gentoo-hppa...)

Achim
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Interesting... Reply with quote

achmetbenmuli wrote:
What filesystem type do you use (except ext3 for your /home and /var)?
I had a similar problem with reiserfs and heavy disc traffic (but on gentoo-hppa...)

Achim

Well, on my /boot partition, I used ext3

I used reiserfs on all the other ones. Maybe I'll try ext3 on everything on this box....didn't think of that....

C
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: So...is it the scsi controller? Reply with quote

Ok...quick update here..

I've tried all day booting machine from cd (this is an install)...mounting drives..chrooting in, emerge syncing...and it gets a little further each time.

I kept doing this..and looks like I finally got all the files in...however, when it gets to the part:

Updating Portage cache.../

The little 'spinner' prompt shows work...and then, just locks up as before. I can't seem to get past this part now.

I guess I'll start looking for a scsi controller on eBay...
:-(

I changed all my filesystems (except for /boot which is still ext2) to ext3..and now only have /home on the 2nd drive. I set RSYNC_TIMEOUT=500...

And by repeatedly doing emerge sync..I"ve gotten this far...but, seem to be stuck dead here.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

cayenne
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

Hi all,

This machine has been mothballed all this time..and wanting to give it a try again.

1. I did get another motherboard, thinking a swap might help... but, before I do, can anyone offer new insight or suggestions not previously entered on this thread?

2. Would it be worthwhile to get the latest LiveCD and try again from scratch?

Thanks in advance...I really want to get this box up and running as a web server...

C :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: