Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
why isn't it updating?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: why isn't it updating? Reply with quote

So I admid freely that I'm a newbie to the whole gentoo thing. But I'm trying.

I've got a system built, and I'm pretty happy with how that whole process went. The documentation and guides were quite good for setting up a vanilla system. Having been through it once, there are some things I know I want to do differently.

But now I notice something I don't understand. I just did an 'emerge rsync' and noticed that a new patch of xfree (4.2.0 r10) just came down. I think to myself, cool. So I try 'emerge --pretend --update world' to see what it thinks it'll do about this. Nothing. Hmm. 'emerge --pretend --update x11'. Nothing. 'epm -qa' shows that it knows 4.2.0 r9 is currently installed and only that version. Why isn't it noticing that it has a new rev? Shouldn't it have triggered on --update? What stupid thing am I doing?
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: emerge --update tips Reply with quote

Quote:
emerge --pretend --update world

Update world will only update packages you *explicitly* installed, i.e. not as a depedency for something else you explicitly installed. Have a look at your /var/cache/edb/world file - anything you want to be included in a world emerge should be there.

Quote:
emerge --pretend --update x11

Have you tried emerge --pretend --update x11-base/xfree ?[/b]
Frang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Have a login, now so I'm not quite so anonymous.

Tried 'emerge --pretend --update x11-base/xfree' as well. Same results.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: It's masked ... Reply with quote

Aha! If you look at /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask you should see:

Code:
# fixed mouse scrolling in ppc xfree. Masked for testing (daybird, 10 may)
=x11-base/xfree-4.2.0-r10

I think there's just a couple more (basic) patches, have a look at it's ebuild file in /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree to find out more. If you aren't having any problems with your existing X install I would just wait until it becomes unmasked as a result of a later emerge rsync. Your call though ...[/code]
Frang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! Very good. I hadn't considered that I wasn't supposed to notice it yet. :) My fault for paying attention, eh? Thanks for the pointers, now I have more files to poke around in and see what evil I can cause.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: No rest for the wicked Reply with quote

:lol: yup! Budding satanists could do a lot worse than check out the Portage manuals at gentoo.org :twisted:

And for the real bleeding-edge types, subscribe to gentoo-cvs mailing list and maybe gentoo-dev too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: