2.6 kernel, sparc (64), install docs, and other misc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: 2.6 kernel, sparc (64), install docs, and other misc Reply with quote

Wondering about known-good kernel configs for a 2.6.3 kernel on an ultra5 ..?

im building my first attempt as I type this, so I'm unsure of the result yet. I was however worried as I didnt see an option for busmouse/sunmouse where i expected it to be in the device driver section ... grr...

any known issues using 2.6 on sparc64 ? i noticed it wanted a special gcc to compile the kernel 64 bit (as opposed to whatever package thingie it used to use to do this with 2.4) .. is this normal, or should i run screaming?

on to a maybe more sensitive issue ... how long might we be waiting before 2.6 makes it into the install docs for sparc (which seem like they havent been updated in 2 years :-( ) ?

if funky testing is needed, who should we (I) talk too to find out what needs testing? I've got an U1 and an U5 im happy to throw onto the 2.6 bonfire lol
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing gcc-sparc64 instead of egcs64-sparc is fine. gcc-sparc64 will build 2.4 kernels as well as 2.6.

As for configs, you might check http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/configs for a 2.6.x Ultra 5 config (note an ultra 10 config would probably be really close to what you want as well).

Now that 2.6.x is stabilizing on sparc, we can probably include some pieces for it in the install doc before too long.

As for testing, feel free to try and report issues. Generally the best way to test and talk about issues is in the #gentoo-sparc chatroom on the irc.freenode.net IRC network. Most of us devs hang out there, and if it's something we can't handle, we can probably point you in the right direction.
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: It's here Reply with quote

After many kernel rebuilds without keyboard and mouse, I finally found it,

Look for the SU serial options under SERIAL support.... - Obvious really.

Also, if you are loading a keryboard map in rc.conf, watch out, it looks like the scan codes are different under 2.6 than 2.4 - I certainly had problems with a UK type 6. - Easiest to comment out the keyboard map first and experiment later.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clicky clicky
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clicked!!!

Brilliant - just what I needed.

For info - one of the reasons I'm moving up to 2.6 on the sparc is because I can now use my NetGear PCI Wireless card - it didn't work under 2.4.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: