Installing on a box w/o net connection?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
particle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Installing on a box w/o net connection? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'd love to install Gentoo on a box of mine. Unfortunately I don't have net access on this box at this time. So I was wondering if there was a way I could download all the neccessary files onto, say a CD, or the Windows partition and then install it from there? I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times before but I can't quite seem to find the answer.

Would there be a way that I could download files to CD once a week, or so, and upgrade my box?

Thanks!
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on a box w/o net connection? Reply with quote

Sure, you can download the files from ibiblio.org and them save then to a CD.

The update thing is a little bit tricker, probably you can do it with rsync in a non-gentoo box, but I don't think it would be trivial.

particle wrote:
Hello,

I'd love to install Gentoo on a box of mine. Unfortunately I don't have net access on this box at this time. So I was wondering if there was a way I could download all the neccessary files onto, say a CD, or the Windows partition and then install it from there? I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times before but I can't quite seem to find the answer.

Would there be a way that I could download files to CD once a week, or so, and upgrade my box?

Thanks!
particle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on a box w/o net connection? Reply with quote

What files would I need to download exactly?

Thanks!

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Sure, you can download the files from ibiblio.org and them save then to a CD.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the entry in the official Gentoo FAQ called "I have only slow modem connection at home. Can I download sources somewhere else and add them to my system?"
paramthegreat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: how do i get past steps for stage1 to stage3 Reply with quote

hmm,
i have read all that. but then i do not understand how would do emerge rsync and all the other steps from stage1 to stage3 without a net connection
thanx,
parminder
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take a portage tree snapshot from http://cvs.gentoo.org/snapshots/, and untar it to create /usr/portage. That will eliminate the rsync step for you. You would have to put the sources that you downloaded into /usr/portage/distfiles.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently trying to do the exact same thing. One problem I experienced was that in order to copy the necessary distfiles and tar'ed portage-tree from CD to /usr/portage, I had to unmount the install-CD first. But that is not possible since the CD is root. And if I chroot to /mnt/gentoo/ (as per install instructions), I can no longer mount/unmount anything (commands not found). The way I solved it was by booting into windows, moving the distfiles from CD to a fat32 partition, then boot the install-CD again, mount the partition and copy the files from there.

This is of course not possible for people that don't dualboot, so is there any way to exchange CDs during the installprocess?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kybber wrote:
But that is not possible since the CD is root.

Really? I thought root off an install CD was a ramdisk or tmpfs or something. It's read-write, isn't it? Maybe the world is different with the livecd. I would just eject the install CD. I can't think of anything it would need once the system is booted up.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I think you are right. Maybe I did something wrong? The livecd was installed as /cdroot (if I'm not mistaken - I can't test it since I'm at work.). When doing umount /cdroot I got the message that device is busy. And since I couldn't unmount, I couldn't eject. What could cause the CD to be busy? My cwd when trying to unmount was /root.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kybber wrote:
When doing umount /cdroot I got the message that device is busy. And since I couldn't unmount, I couldn't eject. What could cause the CD to be busy?

Thanks for mentioning the cwd - that was the first thing I was going to guess. Would it be possible to emerge lsof when booted from the CD (if it's not there)? That should tell you what process is holding something open under /cdroot.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip - that's a very nice tool that I haven't been aware of until now! I'll try it out when I get home (which isn't until Monday evening since I'm going away for a long weekend).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: