View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: emerge/unmerge of packages having issues Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm having a problem with emerge right now when merging/unmerging applications. I can perform "emerge rsync", "emerge --clean world/system" and so on and so forth, but when I do "emerge wmnetselect" or other app, it just says:

bash-2.05a# emerge wmnetselect
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge x11-misc/wmnetselect-0.8-r1 to /

and sits there forever. The --pretend works fine, which boggles me.
I looked at the processes during the time, and it says:
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 6189 6.2 0.9 4540 3548 pts/0 S 14:17 0:03 python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge wmnetselect
root 6190 96.3 4.3 17832 16936 pts/0 R 14:17 0:54 sandbox /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh clean

96-99% CPU utilization isn't normal... I've had this system up for going on 4 days now without any hangups. (I've done emerges of my favourite applications during that time like wmwhatever stuff, mozilla, so forth) The last thing I performed an emerge on before all of this happened was Exim, which shouldn't have done anything at all.

--debug doesn't say anything really, so I'm not sure what to do from here. Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance.
divine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, the last time I had this problem, I did not have time to fix it before I formated. I thought it was something that I had done, and my system needed a fresh install after all I had put it through. Seriously though, I have no idea what to tell you. I had that problem as well, and it baffled me :oops:
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comforting...
Glad I downloaded mkcdrec and backed up my system yesterday :lol:

maybe I'll wait a little and see if anyone has any other ideas. I'd hate to blast the whole system on just this one issue. (albiet a big one...)
tod
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

What version of portage do you have merged?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to emerge -s "portage" I have 1.9.3 installed. I did an rsync today and it says that 1.9.5 is available.

I just tried to perform an upgrade on it, but it does the same thing.
hey, at least it's flagged as an upgrade :)
tod
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I suggest perusing

/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files/ README.RESCUE

hth

tod
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip... I read it, and thought that might fix my problem but unfortunately it didn't :(

I left emerge wmnetselect do it's thing while I went to pick up my daughter at school. (after installing that tbz2 file as directed) and it did the same thing. Except, for once I left it go long enough to find out that sandbox is growing in memory to the point that X and everything running was closed by the VM. (including sandbox, last) Everything being all my xterms in X, then X.

I have 384MB ram, and a 216mb swap partition. Should be enough....
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I performed a restore of my system from the day before this incident and everything appears to be back to normal. Still irks me though... what could cause this?
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: same probs Reply with quote

That's what I like to know too...
My emerge / portage broke today and is doing the same
I cannot emerge anything anymore; it will hang right after 'calculating dependencies' and then sandbox will start feasting on system resources
I tried the rescue stuff, and emerging portage ends in the same lockup (it first tries to emerge python first)
also emerge --clean did not help

what can I do (since i have no backup). I just installed and do not want to do it all over again :(

i'm currently using portage 1.8.19
Anybody found a cure yet? :D
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not :(

I'm not even sure *where* to start looking for the issue. It's a sporadic issue, so I haven't been able to recreate it since I've had that one. (I did have a backup, thank god)

Since then I've reinstalled 2 times just to get everything right (and the second to put LVM in) so if it ever comes up again I'm filing a bug report.

Perhaps you should?

--
Dan
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: made it a bug report Reply with quote

ok, I made it a bug report. I'll continue working the issue, since a new install is not what I had in mind

Here a link to the bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2532

(in case anybody knows how to solve it ..)
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Hopefully someone will be able to find something... It's *VERY* obscure...

Too bad we're not to the point of technological advancement where you could just do a "tar zcvpf ftp://bugimages.gentoo.org/gentoo1.1a/user_images/vert-bug-2532.tar.gz /" :) (new added feature of Linux in 2020 once we've finally upgraded away from our slow optical harddisks and finally found a way past the dreaded light-speed barrier for data transmission.)
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: same probs Reply with quote

Quote:

i'm currently using portage 1.8.19

This is a depricated version. If you try to upgrade emerge to the current version, do you get the same error?
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, can't emerge anything :(
or unmerge either for that matter...
so upgrading doesn't work, unless you know a way without using emerge...
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, can you take the bz2 version of portage and dump it over and old version, or will that break things?
(like the rescue portage thingee)
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
I wonder, can you take the bz2 version of portage and dump it over and old version, or will that break things?

Good question. I don't know enough about the internals of emerge to even take an educated guess. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to try it. Obviously, if you do this, the portage DB will be out of sync with what you have installed, but that could be remidied later.

Pardon me while I turn on Captain Obvious mode....
Do you have plenty of disk space availble in both your /usr and /var partitions?
Have you tried rebooting the system?
Captain Obvious mode deactivated...(Wonder Twin powers, deactivate.) :lol:

If you haven't already, remove the portage bz2 source file from /usr/ports/distfiles. Go ahead and remove any dependancy src files as well---I think you mentioned the --pretend works. Then go to /var/tmp/portage and do "rm -rf" on wmnet*" and any dependancies. Or you could just do a "rm -rf *" Just double check you are in the right directory!!! :wink:
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:

I don't really know how to do that, but was under the impression that the README.RESQUE suggests the same by doing:
tar xjpUvf portage-rescue-1.8.16.tbz2 -C /

with of course the correct version. I tried this, but no luck (tar did complain with " Cannot unlink: Directory not empty" messages, but I assumed this was natural)

As far as the other suggestions (for which i'm of course gratefull):
I don't have a portage bz2 file in /usr/portage/distfiles (or any other portage file in that dir) and I don't really know what you mean by "and remove any dependancy src files".
I also cannot find any wmnet* files or dirs in /var/tmp/portage ...

When I remove the /var/tmp/portage dir, a new one is created with an application dir in it (the app I then try to emerge). But it still hangs right after that.
Any thoughts on how to continue? Oh, and yes there is enough space (778M), --pretend works and so does 'emerge rsync'

And thnx for helping with the issue :D
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/ports/distfiles contains all the bz2 source files for everything that Portage has downloaded. So, it should contain a file similar to wmnetselect. If you do the emerge --pretend wmnetselec[/b, make note of all the dependancies; you should be able to find them in [b]distfiles as well. Remove them from distfiles.

Next, check youe /etc/make.conf and verify you are syncing to the correct place. Currently this is:

SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

Try an emerge --update system With any luck, this will work and you'll get the current Portage.

Other things to check:
Have you tried rebooting yet?
If you have gentoolkit installed, run qpkg. Look for serveral versions of the same software.
Can you unmerge anything or is this broken as well?

If you do have to reload, you should do an emerge rsync during the install or if not, make sure it is the first thing you do when your system is up. The very second thing you should do with the new system is emerge --update system And then emerge gentoolkit
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for the swift reply :D

here's what I can tell you
I do not have any wmnetselect installed, if I do an 'emerge --pretend wmnetselect', the message is:
[ebuild N ] x11-misc/wmnetselect-0.8-r1 to /

So I guess that means it's new and will be installed
no dependancies by te way. And nothing with *wm* in the distfiles dir (which is under /usr/portage and not /usr/ports, at least on my system).

Unfortunately I do not have the qpkg toolkit installed. Umerging isn't working either (although sandbox then 'only' takes up 75-80% cpu time).

I have rebooted several times since this issue started and 'emerge rsync' isn't a problem either (I worked with "SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-x86-portage" but your suggestion works fine as well).

I'm still open for suggestions, if you're not discouraged yet :)
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, its still broken, but I did try some new stuff
I installed binary packages of portage (version 1.9.10) python and dependencies (debianutils, fileutils and python-fcksum)
using the tar -xjvf method cause emerge -k didn't work (crashed at the 'merging' state)

still the same problems. What on earth could be the bugger causing this ???
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more I think of it, the more I wonder if the text configuration file (or one of the files that is used by portage/emerge whathave you) might have gotten corrupted.

Now this is just a hunch, bu tyou know. It just seems odd how when it's installing it has issues but you can do --pretend and searches and everything else.
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was also thinking along those lines
What config files are used while emerging (besides make.conf of course :D). I would think most of those files would have been overwritten while doing the RESQUE thing and installing the binary packages. Or not :?:
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it does use system dependent stuff like a world and system file to hold the stuff that you have in your system. I think they are in /var/db, I'm not sure.

I heard something vague about the possibility of corruption of one of the files due to a bug, but it hasn't been anything but a blurb in the wind. (i.e. take it with a grain of salt)

I haven't ran into the issue again with the newer portage releases...
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! A breakthrough !!
:D:D:D:D

In a reaction on the bug I filed the suggestion was made to disable sandbox by putting
FEATURES="-sandbox"
in the make.conf file

Earlier that didn't work (bunch of looping errors)
But I just tried it again (after installing the binaries) and now it does emerge and built :D

If I remove the "-sandbox" it still doesn't work however. I just did an "emerge portage" and right now its working on a '--update system'. Maybe that will help.

At least we know its a sandbox issue :wink:
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vert wrote:
YES! A breakthrough !!
:D:D:D:D

In a reaction on the bug I filed the suggestion was made to disable sandbox by putting
FEATURES="-sandbox"
in the make.conf file

Earlier that didn't work (bunch of looping errors)
But I just tried it again (after installing the binaries) and now it does emerge and built :D

If I remove the "-sandbox" it still doesn't work however. I just did an "emerge portage" and right now its working on a '--update system'. Maybe that will help.

At least we know its a sandbox issue :wink:

whoa (keanu reeves voice)

Very cool... I was going to do that, but I didn't know how much havoc that would reek on the system :) Hopefully it works for you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: