A Few Issues with ccc/Alpha bootstrap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryanJField
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: A Few Issues with ccc/Alpha bootstrap Reply with quote

Taviso and other Alpha uber-geeks,

I've been having a few problems with the ccc bootstrap from the stage1 tarball Taviso has on his website. I tried emailing you directly, but I'm not sure if the message got there OK. I read you were have troubles with your gentoo.org address before.

I've been trying to install Gentoo onto a second hard disk of an EB64 from a RedHat 7.2 partition. I couldn't get my cd-rom to read my burned CD (burned on another computer) to boot to the installation program, so I was using the RedHat to install gentoo, which is working just fine. Here is the cpuinfo file

[field@pei field]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu : Alpha
cpu model : EV56
cpu variation : 7
cpu revision : 0
cpu serial number :
system type : EB164
system variation : PC164
system revision : 0
system serial number :
cycle frequency [Hz] : 500000000
timer frequency [Hz] : 1024.00
page size [bytes] : 8192
phys. address bits : 40
max. addr. space # : 127
BogoMIPS : 994.44
kernel unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc : 11 (pc=200003f6094,va=12003f7b4)
platform string : Digital AlphaPC 164 500 MHz
cpus detected : 1

The computer has 1GB of RAM. I've been able to follow all the set-up instructions to get ready for bootstrap, but then some problems come in. There are two basic problems I am having:

1) When the bootstrap.sh updates emerge, it breaks python and cannot continue. I've read that many people had that problem, but the only advice they had to fix it assumed it didn't break during bootstrap and tools were available to rebuild python.

The work around I found was to comment out the emerge update from the bootstrap file and let it use the (slightly) older version of emerge to do the installation. I believe the tarball uses 2.0.36 and 2.0.50 is what it wanted to upgrade to. This seems to work OK using the older emerge.

2) As was mentioned in this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=58003
The installation breaks looking for a crypt reference. Here is the error message I get from ccc while installing the sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.6.13

------------------^
ccc -o init init.o init_utmp.o
ccc -o halt halt.o ifdown.o hddown.o utmp.o
ccc -o shutdown dowall.o shutdown.o utmp.o
ccc -o runlevel runlevel.o
ccc -o sulogin sulogin.o
sulogin.o(.text+0x10d4): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `crypt'
sulogin.o(.text+0x10d8): In function `main':
sulogin.o(.text+0x10d8): In function `main':
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [sulogin] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.6.13 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 108, Exitcode 2
!!! problem compiling sysvinit

Any help or suggestions to fix these problems would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably leaving out some information that you need. Please let me know any ideas you have.
MarkP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: A Few Issues with ccc/Alpha bootstrap Reply with quote

Just finished Installing Gentoo on my Alpha 164SX.

Can't remember exactly which worked for me, but I tried two Alpha CD's.
1. alpha 1.4 test1-20030916. This disc booted fine but would not recognise the BSD partitions when fdisk created them.

2. alpha 1.4rc1-test4.iso Disc Booted fine, had to manually configure network card. This disc includes a stage1 tarball.

I know I booted the alpha 1.4rc1-test4 CD because my Debian Install wouldn't let me chroot.

I can't remember if the stage1 worked from the test4.iso of if it was the stage1-20030916.

But I can tell you one works. Just try the different stage1's and see what happens.

You might not have this problem. When you compile your kernel USE GENERIC as you cpu type. When I try to compile a kernel with the alpha-sources with 164SX as my CPU type I get lost IRQ problems.

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: