View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: AMD64 - The Hardware that works .. mobo reviews & urls Reply with quote

Here's a list of one or two links to hardware reviews for amd64 mobo's.

Hopefully it will help answer some of the common questions about which board and chipset is best, and should I upgrade to amd64 ....

Obviously mobo choice comes down to price and needs, but hopefully this information will help you make an informed choice :)

ps You may need firefox to get rid of some of the adverts on these pages ;)

Quote:

The Athlon 64 Motherboard Shootout:

>>> http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=921&cid=6&pg=1

Quote:

>>> http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20031201/index.html

Quote:

AMD Athlon 64 Chipset Shootout:

>>> http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=6&id=883

Quote:

Gentoo Tech Notes:

>>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~brad_mssw/amd64-tech-notes.html

Quote:

AMD 64 Linux Support

>>> http://pcburn.com/help-AMD_Athlon_64bit.php

Quote:

>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

Quote:

ikshaar >>> http://www.anandtech.com/

Quote:

MSI K8T Master2 FAR, Dual Opteron 240's, 2gig RAM, Geforce 4800, Audigy2 Plat Ex, BTdiNovo, 2SATA, 4ATA, Pioneer 104

This hardware works great with gentoo amd64, including SATA, mobo sensors, sound etc. It's maybe not the fastest board available for the Opterons, but it allowed me to easily upgrade my Dual MP setup, using the same components.

Quote:
get sirius:
BTW, if anyone is considering using one of Tyan's high-end boards with the 3ware 8506 SATA controller, be advised that (at least with the S2885) you'll also need a riser card to connect it to a PCI-X slot, otherwise be prepared for max instability, crashes, etc. The best recommendation on this is to wait until 3ware comes out with its next iteration of this card, which is supposed to fix the problem as well as offer even better performance.

Last edited by scoobydu on Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one wants to tell others which hardware they got working :?

Oh well :roll:
dweigert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on building my box, so far I have the Tyan Thunder K8W motherboard in hand. I have ordered a Lian-Li PC72 case, it should arrive in the next few days. Next month I get to order a Enermax 660 watt power supply and the Danger Den water cooling kit. In April I can order *One* Opteron 244, and 2 512Mb sticks of Corsair memory. In May, I can order the other processor and memory. In June, I might be able to afford a nice graphics card (going to use my Geforce 3 in the meantime). In July, I might be able to get a Hammerfall DSP audio card. It is frustrating having to build it a piece at a time, but with my limited funds, I have no choice...

Dan
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, you are so damn patient!! adding to your hardware every month! So which month can you actually boot your machine up ? :)

The UK credit card companies are giving away 6 months interest free in packets of breakfast cerials! (well not quite that easy ;) but really after xmas they make the offer of a credit card with 6 months interest free, so you can pay of your xmas bills!!

You could get everything together and pay every month for nothing!

Not that I am saying you should get yourself into debt though! ;)
dweigert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can boot the box in April. Once I get the 1st processor and memory, I'll caniballize my current box for the Geforce 3 and the SCSI HAs and disks and so on. I'll get to install my IDE cd burner (Can't use the darned thing because my cuurent Mobo has a fried southbridge (no ide at all)) and maybe my scsi cdrom drive.

Dan
c4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ scoobydu: Sorry for the wait for this post m8, i had some software issues + late hours at work to solve..

As for my hardware, I have recently bought a AMD64 system with a XP64@3000, MSI K8T Neo, 512 MB Corsair Value S and GeForce FX5900 (+other items but not mentioned here).

This combination works excellent, Ive been running it with Gentoo 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 about one week. Not having the hardware for too long makes it hard to evaluate its endurance etc, though the first gaming tests I did in UT2004-demo worked great (60-70 fps with almost all settings at highest, 1280x1024 gametype 'Onslaught').

The motherboard was recommended 'Best buy' in a mobo-test conducted by the Swedish site 64bits.se Read the Swedish arcticle here, and the hardware mentioned above (all exept graphics card) was bought as a 64-bit upgrade package from a large hardware net site in Sweden. In the same package a cpu fan 'Spire CPU-Fan KestrelKing II' was included. But i couldn't stand its noize (31.8 dB), and had it replaced with a cheap fan from Arctic-cooling (20dB).The msi-motherboard has 5.1 audio, Glan and raid support. I am currently using the onboard NIC, but I have bought an extra 5.1 Live! card for the audio. I am not running any raid partitions either at the moment.

Not knowing too much about 64-bits hardware and architecture, I first spent time reading articles at TomsHardware.com, installing tips and tricks at Gentoo.org and this forum ofcourse ;) , several Swedish sites including 64bits.se as mentioned above. The choice of getting this hardware, rather than some other AMD based hardware like a XP Barton, was my thoughts of using this pc for a year or two before upgrading again. I believe that all 64 bit hardware will evolve and that the software will soon be at the same standards as 32 bit systems. And as the XP64 has full compabillity with '32/64 bit' software I thought it to be a better choice than Intels CPUs that must emulate all 32bit.

Buying the hardware in an upgrade-package as I did, has both advantages and disadvantages. First of all, when buying a package, it doesn't allow you to buy every component that you might have wanted to start out with (another CPU or as in my case, a different fan). Though I see it as a good deal after all. First, I got something like a 10% discount, and second; by buying this kind of 'pre-set upgrade package' from the store, they maintain a garantee for it to work. Now that Ive got Gentoo rolling I'm more than pleased with my new system. Its even better than my first expectations.

As for software, there are lots of software and packages not masked to work with amd64 yet. I have not yet got the sensors working for CPU-temp, fan speeds etc, however I have activated the cool'n'quiet featurs both in the kernel and in BIOS. I hope to get it set when I have some time after work.

For those of you planning to upgrade, check out the links posted at the top of this thread, and consider getting a AMD64 based system. I am more than pleased with my new hardware, Im sure you would be too. ;)
dijuremo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Our 7 dual opteron systems Reply with quote

This is what I put together at work for our Chairman:

Motherboard: Tyan K8W
Processors: 2 Opterons 246 (2.0Ghz)
Memory: 4 GB Corsair ECC DDR 2700
Case: Thermaltake Xaser Blue (HIGLY RECOMMENDED, lots of fans and still quiet).
Power Supply: Enermax 460 Watts.
Video Card: Geforce FX 5200.
HDD: 80 GB Maxtor IDE133 (Have not tried the 2.6 kernel to see if the SATA controller works fine. There was no support for it before but I've seen that there is now for the Sil3114 chipset installed on the motherboad.)

I can compile the 2.4 kernel in less than 4 minutes. I was able to build gnome, kde and fluxbox just fine ( without opengl support though).

The machine has been up for 90 days now very solid and stable. I also have another 6 dual opterons with dual 1.8 Ghz processors where I am running Fedora Core 1-32 bits but it sucks. There seems to be a bug with the Fedora smp kernel that crashes the machines daily. We are also testing FC2 beta 64 bit on one of them to take advantage of the 64 bit hardware.

The only reason because they are not gentoo boxes is because there is nothing like Kickstart (Red Hat's automated install, just like Jumpstart on Solaris, or my own creation Diegostart for windows unattended installs :) ) on gentoo. I know there are projects, but still on their early stages and we maintain lots of machines running all flavors including solaris 9, mac os X, windows and 1 gentoo box (the dual opteron); so Fedora is the only way to go now for us.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal opinion : I don't want to seem partisan, but I would avoid taking your info for AMD products on TomsHardware.com website. Since the clash two years ago (between him and AMD fans), the editor has become more and more biais against any AMD products... Used to be a good website but not anymore a reliable one.

http://www.anandtech.com/ have some more balanced review I think.
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c4 wrote:
@ scoobydu: Sorry for the wait for this post m8, i had some software issues + late hours at work to solve..

Hey c4, no problem at all to me mate, and its worth the wait ;) some nice info! and doesn't work always get in the way!

@dijuremo, some nice info as well, although I'm intrigued why you are running kernel 2.4 and not 2.6?

@ikshaar, fair point, although I wasn't aware they were biased ... really though this information is just to try and help people make a decision on what works and what doesn't. It's still the individuals decision based on all of the information that they can find :)

This url is just a starting point :wink: and they can use your url for anandtech to gather some more information.

I've added your link, so its easy to find on the first post ...
The Ennead
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey doke, i'll give you a run down on my sys and what's working, what isn't but if i'm typing then you get the lot :lol:

Athlon64 3000+ o/ced @ 210x10 (first o/c that came into my head and it was stable so it'll do until I find some decent cooling)
Asus Kv8 Deluxe
1Gb Corsair TwinX xms3200
Audigy
2x WD Raptors in striped raid for XP
1x Maxtor 80Gb for Gentoo 32bit
1x Maxtor 60Gb for Gentoo 64bit (both are the 7200rpm versions but I can't remember the names - a year or two old DX something or other I think)
Lite-On 8x dvd Burner
LG 32x Cd-writer (can't remember the names of those either - must be old age setting in :o )
Connect 3d Radeon 9800xt
Razer Boomslang (usb)
D-Link dfe 530 nic
Netgear adsl modem/router
Linksys router
... and Lian-Li Pc70 with blue neons :P

Windows? a git to install requiring me to go out and buy another floppy drive to replace the one that ended up in the bin thinking i'd never use it again :roll: purely because it couldn't deal with the sata.

Gentoo 32bit - Install was the usual piece of cake except for the ati drivers causing problems.

Mandrake 9.2 & Gentoo 64bit - Thought i'd deal with these two together since there's not much to say about Mdk. 64bit I wasn't too concerned with and just wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I wasn't going to worry about which distro I put on. Mandrake seemed the easiest option so I tried that. Booting the install Cd's was a no-go I tried every option mentioned in the F1 help and none booted. Tried the idle=poll option and that wouldn't work either. Came to the conclusion if it wasn't going to be that easy then I might as well put Gentoo on and binned the MDK Cd's so that was as far as I got.

First Gentoo cd boot failed so I tried it with idle=poll and it installed with no problem. I had some difficulty with a kde 3.2 install but remembered seeing a post that gave the solution so corrected that and everything else went great. I'm still on the 2.6.1 kernel for 64bit as i'm just about to do an update now but everything worked with no probs at all except for obviously the graphics where we all still await ATI catching up with the opposition. The idle=poll has now been removed after a bios update from 1003 which the board came with to 1005 which is the latest so no outstanding problems to deal with. All hardware works great and everything appears to be recognised including the sata drives although since I only use them for the XP install, I haven't got around to looking into whether or not I can have them recognised as a raid drive rather than two individual drives.

One other thing of note with this board is agp. So far i've been unable to get the board to boot and use the agpgart module, I can modprobe it by passing the agp_try_unsupported=1 option as I load it but nowhere have I found to pass that option to it to load it during boot. The only way I can see of doing it therefore would be to boot to a prompt, manually modprobe the agpgart followed by fglrx and then run X. It may work like that it may not, frankly it sounds like too much messing about for me when the ati agp works ok. Still, if there were some ati-drivers for 64 bit then i'd put up with the hassle.

Edit: Just updated kernel & 2.6.3-r2 works perfectly ok with things as well.

Last edited by The Ennead on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: AMD64 stable and working perfect for 1.5 months. Reply with quote

I got a 32bit and a 64bit AMD64 Gentoo system. Both are working flawless. My next test is the SiS755 ECS MB. Does anyone know if this MB is working. Does Linux support the SiS755 chipset?

My Computer:
MB - Gigabyte K8VT800m
SC - Audigy
VC - nvidia 5600 ultra 128mb
Mem - cheapest on pricewatch PC3500 512MB
3 HD's :
1. 160 GB maxtor w/8mb cache (64bit)
2. 120 GB seagate w/8mb cache (32bit)
3. 80 GB seagate w/8mb cache
all HD's are ide (didn't want the hasle of pata or sata, but MB supports it)
4.MX500 logitech mouse
5.Elite logitech keyboard
6.logitech 2.1 speakers

If anyone has any questions please ask. I'm willing to help.

Last edited by chrisdupre on Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Veauger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSI K8T Neo
Athlon 64 3200+
1024MB Corsair XMS Low Latency
Dual 10k RPM SATA WD Raptors (37GB) on the Promise controller
Gigabit eth via onboard card, and GF2MX 32MB for video
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to redo the 64 and 32bit HD's around my birthday: May 20th.
Around this time I think that the 64bit support will be a bit better. Also I think the gnome 2.6 might be out around this time also? If anyone knows about the gnome 2.6 release date please let me know. This is going to be my personal birthday gift to myself. :mrgreen: . If the gnome 2.6 release isn't done then I will redo anyway.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release of Gnome 2.6 is scheduled for March 22th !!
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/

2 days too late for your Bday :?
GoneGaryT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Well, where? Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for 2.6 kernel releases of Gentoo - links, anyone?

Athlon 64 3200+
Chaintech ZNF3-150
2x Crucial DDR400 512Mb RAM
FX5900
2 SATA Seagate 160Gb (RAID 0)
1 IDE Maxtor 80Gb
1 IDE Maxtor 30Gb
DVD-RW, CD-RW etc.

I have SuSE 9 running with a 2.6.3 kernel (which is in no way shabby), but want to optimise :)

Current systems:

Win XP 32 bit
Win XP 64 beta
SuSE 9 / 2.6.3 64 bit
Gentoo 2.6 experimental (can't remember, 32 I think)
Slackware 9 / 2.6.2 32 bit

Next up: FreeBSD 5.2/AMD64 reinstall - it's quite cute, ya know.

Questions: What's Gentoo's SATA RAID support like?
chatgris
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for telling who got what hardware working.. I have got this working.

Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
Nvidia 5700 256MB video card (The nv drivers did not work, needed to install the latest nvidia-kernel AND nvidia-glx from portage)
AMD 3200+ 64
1GB Corsair dual channel memory.
2 IDE disks

Failures...

1) Could not get the onboard RAID card to work since the kernel didn't have the driver, so I just gave up, did not try installing custom modules

2) Have no yet been able to get the onboard LAN card to work in linux, again probably a driver issue.

Other than that, it works in KDE and quite beautifully.

Due credit for avatar from http://www.aikida.net
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Questions: What's Gentoo's SATA RAID support like?

What kinda of RAID? ataraid or MD? I know you can use MD RAID with SATA drives, but the ATARAID only works in 2.4, I think work has started on a 2.6 version. So don't plan on a Multi boot RAID with Windows right now.

I would love to post about the system I am building, but .. untill I boot strap my 64bit Gentoo whats the point. Tho I will be a regular here. : )
GoneGaryT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Ah.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

While having a search on the topic, this link came up:

http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

and says rather a lot. I have SiL3114 SATA and, according to the link, I'm mildly stuffed as it's either MD with linux or the proprietry driver with XP but not both - unless SiL get their act together for 2.6.

Hurrah for the bleeding edge :?
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any opinion about the Nforce3 boards as far as compatibility. I really interested in the optical out. Planning on just wiring the audio to my Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX receiver. Is optical out supported.

My second question is how do the Opteron chips, for example 244, compare to the Athlon FX or Athlon 64 3400+. I am looking to do video editing and mastering, maybe a little bit of gaming now and then.
Messi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD64 stable and working perfect for 1.5 months. Reply with quote

chrisdupre wrote:
My next test is the SiS755 ECS MB. Does anyone know if this MB is working. Does Linux support the SiS755 chipset?

I have it currently running, and the SiS964/964L of the 755-A MoBo is NOT SUPPORTED, meaning: no DMA, no SATA - HD access is running on snail speed - but still I got my kernel compiled in 4:40 minutes :twisted: The AMD64 just rocks.

My 2 cents: Hands off the Elitegroup 755-A and every other MoBo with the SiS 755/964 chipsets.

I hope the Gigabyte K8VT800 I ordered arrives tomorrow, AFAIK everything should work fine with that one :)
logon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an MSI K8T NEO Motherboard. A WD360GD SATA harddrive and 1Gig Kingston RAM. My system works great, except for a little bug with firefox. When i try to enter something into a submit form like the search field on www.google.de it just crashes after i pressed the first button. google actually isnt the only homepage. I made a bugreport.
But compiling is my new hobby. This machine is so damn fast. I love it!
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD64 stable and working perfect for 1.5 months. Reply with quote

Messi wrote:
chrisdupre wrote:
My next test is the SiS755 ECS MB. Does anyone know if this MB is working. Does Linux support the SiS755 chipset?

I have it currently running, and the SiS964/964L of the 755-A MoBo is NOT SUPPORTED, meaning: no DMA, no SATA - HD access is running on snail speed - but still I got my kernel compiled in 4:40 minutes :twisted: The AMD64 just rocks.

Have you tried manually tweaking the settings using hdparm? It's conceivable that the kernel's just not setting optimal disk values on startup. Also, what does your /proc/pci show? I ran across one Usenet post (archived here) that shows a /proc/pci output from an ECS 755-A that identifies the ATA controller as a SiS 5513, which should work at up to 100Mbps, judging by a glance at the source code. It's also conceivable that the kernel isn't identifying the full capabilities of the 964, but that a minor tweak to the source code would fix the problem. Of course, then there's the worst-case scenario, which is that it'd take major changes to the driver, or an entirely new one, to improve performance....
Messi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD64 stable and working perfect for 1.5 months. Reply with quote

srs5694 wrote:

Have you tried manually tweaking the settings using hdparm?

Yes, I tried that:

Quote:
sauron etc # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

AFAIK this is the result of an unsupported IDE-Chipset, although the option's in the kernel source (and activated).

Maybe I miss something here?
no_one
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I got working:

AOpen AK89 Max nForce3 150
2 512Meg of Mushkin 3500 Level I
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 160G SATA

Got it working pretty well. The only thing, the ATI drivers are all masked in portage and when I installed the latest one in there, X comes up and I can wiggle the mouse and all for about ~ 5 seonds, then I get a hard freeze. When I reboot and look at the X log, there is an error message, something about the driver unloading and trying to reload (not at home right now to get the full wordage). For now I'm using vesa to get X and KDE up. Works ok but get lots of ghosting when moving windows around.
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD64 stable and working perfect for 1.5 months. Reply with quote

Messi wrote:
Quote:
sauron etc # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

AFAIK this is the result of an unsupported IDE-Chipset, although the option's in the kernel source (and activated).

Maybe I miss something here?

Are you positive you've compiled and activated the SiS ATA module (sis5513)? Have you tried compiling it into the kernel proper? I recently ran across another post from somebody who had similar problems with a motherboard that used a SiS 963L Southbridge, and the ultimate solution was to recompile the kernel with the sis5513 module selected. Of course, you've got a SiS 964, which could be different enough that this won't help, but it's worth trying, if you've not done so already....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: