67%  [ 36 ]
Standard Kernel Sounds
32%
 32%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 53

psharp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Alsa or Kernel sound? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have currently got Kernel Sound working on my laptop using Debian. Am shortly going to install (upgrade to :) ) Gentoo and would like to know the difference between using Alsa and the Standard Kernel Sound. I have never really thought of using Alsa, but I noticed many threads about it in the forums.

So what I would like to know is: Is there an advantage to using Alsa if I know I can get Kernel Sound working easily? I can't find any comparisions in the docs

Pete
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel modules...tried to get Alsa working for a week and I about tore my hair out. Kernel modules sound perfect, so to me, Alsa isn't worth the aggrivation.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernel + oss ... had some serious noise problems when i tried alsa with my sblive
linuxgonz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is much better SB Live! support in kernel that in ALSA.

I want to try the open source Creative drivers, any opinions/suggestions?
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Alsa currently since I don't think I can get my soundcard to work with the kernel. I have a hercules game theater xp, but I don't know much about the kernel sound modules. Unfortunately I have not gotten alsa to work very well with my system either. Sound out of aplay is just plain terrible. Anyone else with the same card?
Pitr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSA is in my kernel... :)

JP14 rocks :)
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitr wrote:
ALSA is in my kernel... :)

JP14 rocks :)

hmmm...............2.5.37
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmfin wrote:
I use Alsa currently since I don't think I can get my soundcard to work with the kernel. I have a hercules game theater xp, but I don't know much about the kernel sound modules. Unfortunately I have not gotten alsa to work very well with my system either. Sound out of aplay is just plain terrible. Anyone else with the same card?

I have the same setup and I believe I was able to get the card working using the CS 461X kernel module (I realize that the card uses the CS4630 chip but I think it worked anyways).
That said, I prefer the ALSA driver myself.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would preffer to use alsa...had it working once then i borked it and never got it back...since then i just did the kernel sound for my santa cruz....works well enough , although with alsa i had sound sharing for multiple programs wich was kinda cool but not really nessesary i guess.
Darth_Daver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: OSS Reply with quote

I tried to get Alsa working under Gentoo 1.2 using the excellent doc, but that was the one notable thing I could not get working so far. It could be because I have a SB Live!, and I compiled in kernel support. Perhaps there is a conflict because I get the following message when I try to run amixer:

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

I have seen that error posted in the forums before, but I have never found a resolution. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is the device (/dev/snd, /dev/dsp, etc.) in use by kernel sound and unavailable to ALSA?

My kernel sound works great, but I know there are a few apps like Ogle that lean toward ALSA. Transgaming is always talking about improving ALSA support. I am concerned that kernel sound will fall to the wayside, ALSA will become the preferred standard, and I will end up with a tempermental ALSA. Besides, I don't like to leave any challenge unresolved. When I get some time, I intend to compile a test kernel without sound support to see if it fixes ALSA. In the meantime, does anyone have helpful experiences to share?

Thanks...
rain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Daver --

Compile your kernel with SBLive! as a module, then configure the alsa-related config files as specified in the "Desktop Guide". If you get an error like "unable to load snd-emu10k1 module" in the "Initialising ALSA" section of boot up, all you need to do is re-emerge alsa and it will set itself up right. I find that I have to re-emerge alsa every time i re-compile the kernel.

Anyways, good luck man.
Darth_Daver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, rain. That sounds like a symptom I was having ("unable to load snd-emu10k1 module"). I changed some things to eliminate that symptom, but it apparently didn't address the problem ALSA was having. I'll give your recommendation a try as soon as I get a chance. I will be building a new system soon so I will devote more time to getting it just right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: