n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
jay wrote:
Things that are a must on the command line:

Don't forget 'man' :)

--kurt

Hmmm, ran into a dstro the other day (ahem, not Gentoo) which did not put their own (expletive deleted) commands into man pages. That distros install page tells you, the newbie, to use a certain command to add packages after installing, but a man page for that command does not exist!!
huhmz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the stuff in /usr/share/doc it can be really helpful.
Also if you don't like Midnight Commander you can read gziped documents with:
Code:
zcat file.gz | less
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is it who doesn't like Midnight Commander? 8)

It's about time to evangelise this guy/gal... :P
Linux user #216018
raptor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: MC can do alot of things ... Reply with quote

mcedit is my editor of choice...
mc -s for using mc ever telnet/ssh
F2 - to zip/unzip tar/untar files and directories...
I just changed my /usr/lib/mc.menu so that instead of rcp do scp, so now I can copy selected files to other machines over ssh :") (didn't read the help much yet, but coping from other-machine to current dir will be easy to do also)
mc.ext is excelent to enable browsing tar.gz and other files... there was even a script somewhere that u can browse InterbaseDB ( not hard to be done to other db's). The hard thing i didn't found those days when i looked at it was to have some shell-controlled dialog-popups so that I can insert say "SELECT * FROM table" OR "INSERT * "

I think the mc was discontinued as a project and I really sorry for that 'cause I think it is the swis-army knife of linux console...

what else it can colorize your code ..... when u mark one of the brackets in code it lighten the other one ...
and so on and so on.... :")

dunbar wrote:
jay wrote:
An excellent swiss knife tool is IMHO midnight commander. I has a small editor that is capable to read HTML and gzipped helpfiles without any special command.

Things that are a must on the command line:
mc
lynx
nmap
wget
ftp

Thanks for the tip regarding mc being able to read html - I did not know that, and I've been using Mandrake for over a year now!
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Yeah, but... Reply with quote

maystorm wrote:
Who is it who doesn't like Midnight Commander? 8)
Well, I must admit that before jay posted in this thread, I had no idea that MC was able to read HTML, so that was a very bright light to this newbie! Yes, I do love MC, now that I know what it can do!

I remember an early issue: "There I was, watching XFree 3.X collapse due to my twiddling, when I discovered after the crash that all of that distros documents were HTML, and I had no idea that lynx even existed. Sad day for that install: I blew it away because I couldn't get anything to read html information on how to fix X." Knowing about MC being able to read HTML (exM$ people will always expect a browser to be GUI) would have been real handy on that day.

One technical clarification: I have personally used lynx many times before that day, even under W98SE, but that install was blown off because I had been told repeatedly that man pages were where the answers were - I knew man pages were cli, so I figured I was all set! What a lousy way to treat anyone: tell them to call anytime then steal their telephone.
omie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fravia, the fine gentleman who once ran a fine art of cracking site, now runs an art of searching site. http://www.searchlores.org

a quick tip for searching gentoo forums:

the default option for searching is "Search for any terms or use query as entered." this, imho, is not very useful when searching for something like "install gnome2", etc. because it will pull anything with "install" and anything with "gnome2"

for better results use the "Search for all terms" option. it will pull selections with both "install" and "gnome2" only.

enjoy.
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the search functions within forums may have defaults which are not always useful.

I have learned the hard way that certain forum software search functions can produce errors that are defective.... I searched for a post which clearly had a specific phrase in the title, but the search failed to find it.
In fact, that forum suffers from a search error 'wrinkle': results showed that for 7 months, the number of posts that said Linux and Windows in the same post was 15 posts total, yet before/after that period of time, there was consistantly one or more posts per day with the same search string.

It was a big eye opener to learn that the benign search function can have quality issues! vBulletin version 2.2.2, for those for whome the information might matter. Coulda been a database issue, though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: