Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
aarrgghhh back to mandrake
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: aarrgghhh back to mandrake Reply with quote

ok just want to get this off my chest real quick...i blew up my gentoo install by trying to migrate it to a promise tx2 lsr raid0 i created....it went into a constant loop after rebooting...not really sure what i did wrong but no one here ever comments on lsr questions i have posted...and if its speed your looking for get this...after trying the install again which failed because of something the new gentoo-r4 sources have against the promise controller i guess...never was able to boot with it plugged into a pci slot...i got tired and installed mandrake 8.2 again...it has an easy setup for raid right from the start adn i created a boot swap and then / on lsr raid0...after i finished i go get the src rpm for hdparm and install it run #hdparm -t /dev/md0 and get a unfreakinbelievable 96mb/s from two ibm ata100 7200 rpm 60gxps

now if gentoo is for speed would someone (YO DROBBINS) add support to the install iso for setting up raid from the beginning or atleast maybe a clear how to migrate / to a raid array with out losing 72hrs worth of emerging

i really like gentoo and i know i am not smart enough to use it probably but i think this would be a good thing to pay more attention to...96 MB/s
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else said they got it working, something about using a grub bootdisk.

What were you get with a single drive hdparm -t ?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandrake 8.2
Gentoo 1.1

Duh.

--kurt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was there a point in there klieber?

and before i setup the raid i was getting about 39mb/s...so i would say that was a pretty good increase.

i am not knocking gentoo...i just had been trying to get something working so i could try lsr...at first it was a hpt370a controller but it had issues to put it mildly so i ordered this tx2 ide controller...no raid just 2 extra ide channels....but that is fast i was amazed...i was looking for maybe 70mb/s and would have been happy

as for the grub boot disk i tried that...after i set up the raid array on the two drives on the promise controller i executed this

#cd /
#find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt/newroot

/mnt/newroot being the /dev/md0 on the new array...then i did the same with the boot partition not knowing really if that was fight or not and bash said it was already there....sure enough it was...so i changed the root= to /dev/md0 then booted from the floppy with the original /dev/hda now unplugged set root to (hd0,0) and then setup (hd0) rebooted got the grub splash screen hit enter and it all looked like it was going to work till it hit the array and it just crashed and restarted adn this would just go on like that in a loop.

anyone have any idea as to what i did wrong so i can try it again?

klieber?....how bout you as moderator does that mena you have more of an advanced understanding of linux and inparticular gentoo or just that you volunteered for the job?

ciao
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, didn't realize he was a moderator. What an enlightening post.

I considered using raid 0 on this system but after reading peoples problems in gentoo decided not to. I'm getting 40.25M/sec with a single drive so it's pretty fast and I'm certainly not missing having double the chance of disk failure.

Maybe someone could write docs on how to get it working, raid 0 is becoming quite popular with raid coming standard on so many cheap motherboards these days (like mine).

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the you could use raid5 in lsr also...which would give you better performance and true parity...i am just freaking amazed at the throughput...this is really muuuuuuch better then the software raid offered by highpoint and promise even in their windows environment...in linux they offer no enhanced drive performance and its remarkable when they are even able to be configured to work at all...but yes i think that what linux needs is more hardware and feature compatability not less...but i am in no way unhappy with gentoo only unhappy about not being learned enough despite the constant reading to solve these issues and implement the features i would like into the distro i would like
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
was there a point in there klieber?

Yes -- the point was that Gentoo is a new product. It's still getting some of the kinks worked out. Bitching and complaining about the performance and ease-of-use of a new product is kind of like kicking a puppy for piddling on the rug -- he's still learning so cut him a break.

OTOH, offering contructive feedback, in a calm, well-reasoned manner, is very helpful and welcome here. Additionally, user contributions to the documentation effort are equally welcome.

Anonymous wrote:
klieber?....how bout you as moderator does that mena you have more of an advanced understanding of linux and inparticular gentoo or just that you volunteered for the job?

My my. The vitriol runs thick...

My suggestion is to take a deep breath and try and phrase your questions/comments in a more constructive fashion. I don't use IDE RAID on linux, so I can't offer specific help there, other than the Standard Answers below.

--kurt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what standard answer was that DUH?

if you dont know you dont know....as far as kicking puppies i dont follow your train of thought on this...critisism can be viewed constructively by those that wish t do better in what ever their endevor....it has little to do with how it may be presented to them or rather how they may PRECIEVE it to be presented to them...i like gentoo and have stated that several times in this one post alone.

so what kind of raid then do you use....i have scsi drives also...cheetah x15's 4 of them but i cant get gentoo to load the driver for the hostadapter i have...i ahve also posted a question asking for scsi host adapter comapatability and got no answer....lol

what do you know you must be of some use here....LOL
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

what do you know you must be of some use here....LOL

kinky
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i ahve also posted a question asking for scsi host adapter comapatability and got no answer....lol

You don't bother using a real account, nor do you link to any of your earlier posts where you're asking for help, so I can't offer any specific suggestions.

However, RAID issues have been discussed extensively previously.

As for the lack of RAID support in the default install, you're absolutely right. However, it will only get better if people invest their time and effort to help make it better. This includes helping to write documentation and submitting bugs and feature requests or even helping with actual development. Not just complaining about how something doesn't work.

--kurt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm rommel i just didnt log in...need my address...lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: