install hangs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anenhaienton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: install hangs Reply with quote

I was trying to install Gentoo Linux 1.2. The CD boots and begins to load the kernel however when it reaches partition check I get

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0

the drive light stays lit and nothing at all happens and I am forced to hit the reboot button. Anyone know what this may be?

-Anenhaienton
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are your hard drives on a pci controller? give a little more detail of your hardware so that someone that might have had a similar experience and setup can better be able to answer you.
anenhaienton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for your response. The system is a Celeron 500mhz. The ide controller is on pci bus. VIA Apollo 133 chipset. 128 mb mem, Voodoo 3 3000 on agp. Currently it is dual boot, Win98 on hda and Slackware on hdb. I also have a CDRW on hdc and CDROM on hdd.

-Anenhaienton
Bigft4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: I am having a similar problem Reply with quote

I am also having a problem with the install hanging because of my IDE controller card. I am running a Abit BP6 with a onboard HPT366 controller card.

If anyone finds a way to get around this problem let me know

Thanks
Nathan
bigft4@yahoo.com
akpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: install hangs Reply with quote

I too am using an ABIT BP6 mobo.

I have gotten it it install, am in my second install as I write this. There have been some thigs go on that I don't quite understand however.

The first install was a couple of months ago when the 1.2 system first came out. I had attempted a couple of monthes earlier when 1.1 was in, and decided it was a little over my head then. I came back and tried it again after I had learned a little more.

If I attempt to boot from the 1.2 install CD, I get the same hang as the first message in this thread. I could boot from either the 1.1 or 1.1a install CDs, so I did that and then changed to the 1.2 CD for the stage 1 tarball.

The first install I did, I did a system with XFS. I must have lucked out because when I went to set it up this time around with ext3, I couldn't get it to reboot after doing the preliminary install. I tried it with 3 versions of Gentoo kernels, a vanilla kernel, even the RedHat kernel.. I even tried setting it up with reiser too see if that would work. Nothiing, they all hang during reboot.

I am back to an XFS based system using Gentoo's 2.4.19 XFS patched kernell, but it works. Maybe I did something wrong with those other kernel, but xfs worked first shot.

My box is: Abit bp6 (Intel 440BX), dual celeron 500, 377MB ram, SB Live, aha 7830 scsi, maxtor 40G drive (on the hpt366 controller), Davicom (dmfe) ethernet, Matrox g400.
tomux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too me too me too as i'v been posting before i get the same situation here but on ataraid hard disck... bus as i can see there are more ppl having same problem not on ataraid... instalation hungs at random places.. it might stop right when you try to rsync.... or when untaring kernel files.... no rools for that to happen... hdd light stays on no response from keyboard.. only reset button then left :(((
i'm using gigabyte VRXP XP2000+ 512Mb 2x80G IBM hdd
GF4 and hercules games theater xp (based on crystal sound) might that be that any of periherals make it freez ?
BTW where you guys doing any swap partitions ? i wasn't
and i was trying to install it on reiserFS or ext3 file systems
both times it freezed anyway :(
akpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine always hangs in the same place. Only during boot with particular kenels. Once I have it installed with a kernel my system likes - it's stable.

I've heard of a lot of issues with ata-raid devices under Linux and am inclined to think your problems may be found there. According to an aquantance of mine that worked for Mandrake doing hardware testing untill recently, the only harware ata raid worh looking at under Linux is ARCO. Software raid does OK though.

Check out: http://www.arcoide.com/

Jim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: