Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Jakarta/Tomcat with Apache Configuration Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Java Servlet/JSP/J2EE app server for linux? Preferably open source.
Jakarta Tomcat
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
IBM Websphere
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Macromedia/Allaire JRun
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
iPlanet App Server
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BEA Weblogic
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Oracle App Server
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Any other App servers out there, besides Tomcat, that are open source?
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

AggieEmpeg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Jakarta/Tomcat with Apache Configuration Questions Reply with quote

I am trying to set up a Java Servlet/JSP web development environment. I was able to emerge apache and tomcat just fine. But there is no ebuild script to configure tomcat to be used with apache (ie mod_jserv or mod_jk connectors installed so that apache handles all static web pages) I have actually never been able to successfully configure this setup manually on any distro. Any help would be appreciated.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two links that might help:
Making Tomcat Work with Apache
Jakarta-Tomcat on FreeBSD 4.4
AggieEmpeg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first link was a huge help. Now I am trying to get the startup scripts just right. Tomcat definitely has to be loaded first, but there seems to also be a need for some sort of time delay between running the startup script for Tomcat and running the startup script for Apache.

I tried calling the Tomcat startup script from within the Apache startup script, but I guess that not enough time had elapsed because I kept getting 404 errors in my browser. However, sometimes, it worked. If I run the two scripts manually and separately, it always seems to work.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks again for the link fghellar.
paulkchen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Servlet Containers Reply with quote

If you just need to serve static HTML + JSP/Servlet stuff, you might want to check out Jetty. It's also open source.

Since the stuff I do doesn't require Apache, I usually run Tomcat standalone. I did get it connected to Apache, but the connection between the two seems pretty fragile to me.

If you need a J2EE application server, then checkout JBoss. JBoss is also open source, but you still need a servlet container. Not to worry, you can download versions already integrated with Tomcat or Jetty.

Another servlet container that people mention is Resin. It isn't open source, but the cost is very reasonable (well, compared to stuff like BEA) and you only pay to deploy (i.e. it's free to develop and play with, also free for hobbyists and students).
tooobi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you simply want to serve static files with apache, you should try a kernel-space web server.

khttpd or tux come to mind.

(for khttpd doc, look at $linuxsrc/net/khttpd/README)

khttpd works great for me, redirecting to zope if neccessary.
javacodeslave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I got Tomcat up and running manually, but like you I can't seem to get the init script working for tomcat... what did yours look like and I'll show you what I have if it is different. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: