approximate install times
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godxzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: approximate install times Reply with quote

im planning to wipe my redhat 7.3 install tonight, and give gentoo a try (im very intriuged by it) my question is, what kind of install times am I looking at assuming things go smoothly?

I have a p4 2.8 processor with 768mb ddr ram

just curious. my wife has me on house duty for the next few days anyway so i figure its a good time to use those wasted cpu cycles :)

thanks guys..

Mike
garo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you start from stage 1 and stop when you have X and kde or gnome: +-12h.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess even less on a beast like that. KDE/Gnome will be the vast majority of the time. On my 1.2Ghz Athlon the bootstrap, emerge system and kernel compile just took a couple hours total, and then I would emerge kdebase before going to bed and it'd be done by morning. All of kde is about twice as long IIRC.
RebelYell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: approximate install times Reply with quote

godxzilla wrote:
im planning to wipe my redhat 7.3 install tonight, and give gentoo a try (im very intriuged by it) my question is, what kind of install times am I looking at assuming things go smoothly?

I have a p4 2.8 processor with 768mb ddr ram

just curious. my wife has me on house duty for the next few days anyway so i figure its a good time to use those wasted cpu cycles :)

thanks guys..

Mike

Well, something very important is also your internet connection speed...
Assuming that you can download at 50kbyte/s (which is 480-500kbit) you're gonna have your system ready in maximum 6 hours (with the XFree86 and KDE and/or Gnome)

Good luck,
Rebel Yell
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an interesting trick. When it was compiling something which would take sometime, I started to download something else it would need in a few steps using (kde is an example)

Code:

emerge --pretend kde

and then
Code:

emerge --fetchonly kde

of course, you need a human to do that... but in this case I did it by myself :twisted:
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to time the various parts of the install--I have a little install script that after doing bootstrap, emerge system and emerge X does echo $( date | cut -c12-16 ) to a text file.

So, last night, on 1 Gig Athlon Tbird, 256 megs of DDR

Bootstrap, about 2 hours 45 minutes
Emerge system, a little over an hour
X a little over an hour.
I don't use KDE or Gnome, so that I don't know.

As someone else suggested--while say, while one thing is going on, I'll download others. For instance, during bootstrapping, I did emerge -f system (the -f for the gentleman new to Gentoo is for fetch only). Then, while system was going on, I downloaded the various other programs I always install, including X which takes a bit of time to download.

One thing to watch for with this--if I did emerge -f program A that relies on X, and then emerge -f program B which also relies on X--unless you add the --nodeps option, they would both redownload the the sources for X. At any rate, it seems to save time.

Scott
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
I used an interesting trick. When it was compiling something which would take sometime, I started to download something else it would need in a few steps using (kde is an example)

i tried this, but got sharing violations on files which caused the install to crap out. i think i was in the process of "emerge xfree" when i figured i'd get the kde packages. i tried "emerge kde" from a different terminal, and it seemed to start re-downloading the xfree stuff (they weren't done downloading yet).

hopefully my next box will be much faster having the sources locally. is there a plan to put the sources needed for kde/gnome on the 1.4 cdrom? then maybe a nifty graphic installer? they readlly cut down the install time alot! post some ads during the install process :). really, i think ibiblio has got to be expending some huge bandwidth.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_lybarger wrote:
is there a plan to put the sources needed for kde/gnome on the 1.4 cdrom? then maybe a nifty graphic installer?

A little plea: please don't let this thread turn into either Graphical Installer or Gentoo Linux 1.4 sources.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have to know the packages and their dependencies not to have these problems... but if you're only downloading the packages in the second emerge (--fetchonly), you shouldn't have problems

mark_lybarger wrote:
Bloody Bastard wrote:

i tried this, but got sharing violations on files which caused the install to crap out. i think i was in the process of "emerge xfree" when i figured i'd get the kde packages. i tried "emerge kde" from a different terminal, and it seemed to start re-downloading the xfree stuff (they weren't done downloading yet).

hopefully my next box will be much faster having the sources locally. is there a plan to put the sources needed for kde/gnome on the 1.4 cdrom? then maybe a nifty graphic installer? they readlly cut down the install time alot! post some ads during the install process :). really, i think ibiblio has got to be expending some huge bandwidth.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: