[solved] NordLayer: netlink receive: invalid argument
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: [solved] NordLayer: netlink receive: invalid argument Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to run NordLayer on Gentoo.

I downloaded the deb file, extracted, etc.

I'm able to start the process in a terminal with command: sudo -u nordlayer /usr/sbin/nordlayerd

The console shows:

Quote:

INFO[0000] starting daemon app_version=3.2.1 distro=Gentoo Linux kernel=6.6.21
ERRO[0000] authentication token is not present or expired
INFO[0000] detected /etc/resolv.conf control method component=dns_autodetect procedure=init
ERRO[0000] file exists
INFO[0000] determine desktop environment component=system
ERRO[0000] unknown desktop environment component=system
ERRO[0000] initialize: authentication token is not present or expired component=app
initialize killswitch: unblock: netlink receive: invalid argument
ERRO[0000] unknown desktop environment component=system
ERRO[0000] netlink receive: invalid argument component=app
ERRO[0060] netlink receive: invalid argument component=app

I'm not too sure what's "file exists" is about, might be the /etc/resolv.conf but I decided to ignore it for now so I tried the "nordlayer login" command and now I have "Could not log in: netlink receive: invalid argument". Same issue that is showed in the console.

I did some digging but I couldn't really figure where to start.

The first thing I found is there are two types of netlink: Classic vs Generic Netlink (reference: https://docs.kernel.org/userspace-api/netlink/intro.html#classic-vs-generic-netlink)

NordLayer seems to use generic.

How can I know which one is configured on my system?

Some people had similar issues because netlink was compressing the messages. How can I check this?

I assumed this was kernel options. I went though my kernel config but I wasn't sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by samidarko on Wed May 15, 2024 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time Nord customer. It should be noted that NordLayer is a proprietary subscription based application. Nord only officially supports Debian and RHEL. If you were using one of those OS, they would provide support as it is included in your service plan. Since you are using Gentoo, you are on your own.
Simply extracting the program from the .deb or .rpm package may not be enough. The control files in the .deb packages, for example, often have instructions that set environment variables or set up symlinks. Also, the program may rely on the stock distribution kernels in the respective OS, RHEL or Debian, with config options that may not be present on your system. As well, it may expect library versions that are not present on your system or may expect those items to be found in locations that differ from your system. Usually ebuilds found in overlays address those issues when installing the program in a Gentoo system.

My suggestion is that you try setting up NordLayer on one of the officially supported OS. At that point, any issues that you have you could seek technical support from Nord since as a customer you are paying for it.

In my experience, there have been issues with Nord (in my case VPN) software on Debian that only resolves itself when a new version of the application is released. This prevented me from using their service or logging in for extended periods of time. Even an ebuild from an overlay for NordVpn would quit working on Gentoo when trying to login. This only gets resolved when the .deb and then eventually the ebuild get updated. I eventually started to rely on OpenVPN configuration and bypassing the official Nord apps all together.

I am assuming that your kernel is able to handle both classic and generic Netlink protocols.
I wish you luck. Maybe someone who has figured out how to get NordLayer working on Gentoo will be able to assist but I wanted to point out some of the experiences I have had with using Nord apps in Gentoo.
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers. I think I'll just give a shot to OpenVPN
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: