rsync backup: rsh or fuse.ssh?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: rsync backup: rsh or fuse.ssh? Reply with quote

I'm finally getting around to a reliable backup system for my Gentoo box. I've put a Raspberry Pi 4 with a USB 1TB external storage stick on my local network. The idea is to rsync to the pi's external storage, in a little script executed regularly in a cron job. I can (1) remotely mount the external storage on my Gentoo machine using fuse.sshfs. Or I can (2) do the backup without remotely mounting the storage, but running an rsync daemon on the pi and rsync'ing over the local network.

Is one of these two choices preferable? Clear advantages or problems with either of these?

TIA
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When transferring data with rsync to a remote machine always use rsync protocol, either by runing a daemon or connecting via ssh/rsh. In particular rsync over ssh is very convenient.
Rsync protocol makes a very efficient use of network, searching for already transferred blocks of data and reusing them when possible (so they don't have to be sent again); rsync on a network mounted device will work like cp at best, and possibly much worse. Like in reading the target file just to figure out it's useless and needs to be replaced anyway, so it's from 1 to 2 operations for a smart update (read everything + write changes) instead of 1 operation a dumb copy would do (just write everything).
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, @szatox. Very useful information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: