mysql and conflicting files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauricev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject: mysql and conflicting files Reply with quote

The mysql ebuild is paired with the mysql-connector-c ebuild. I made new ones for mysql 8.3. When I emerge, mysql-connector-c complains about

Code:
* Detected file collision(s):
 *    /usr/bin/comp_err

How might these be handled?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: mysql and conflicting files Reply with quote

mauricev wrote:
The mysql ebuild is paired with the mysql-connector-c ebuild. I made new ones for mysql 8.3. When I emerge, mysql-connector-c complains about

Code:
* Detected file collision(s):
 *    /usr/bin/comp_err

How might these be handled?

Two things:

1) why do you need the innovation version?
2) share the ebuilds;

And an extra thing: the innovation version is not meant to be stable in terms of features. It might be good for developers, but not for administrators and maintainers. You might be better off running it from your home directory. I don't think it needs root privileges.

Best Regards,
Georgi
mauricev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some servers that use the "latest" docker image of mysql and that gave 8.3 (it now gives 8.4!), so I was going to apply the same version to plainly installed servers.

homebrew on the Mac also installs 8.3.

I found out I don't need mysql-connector-c, so I am no longer plagued with any conflicting files.

For the mysql 8.4 ebuild, I just commented out the patches and updated the src location, and it installed.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauricev wrote:
I have some servers that use the "latest" docker image of mysql and that gave 8.3 (it now gives 8.4!), so I was going to apply the same version to plainly installed servers.

So you don't know those servers really need the latest futures, right? I don't think there's something out there that requires it. It just doesn't make sense to release software that depends on something that might be of a production quality as Oracle claim on their site, but not stable feature wise.

I think you're just giving yourself unnecessary trouble.

BTW there are patches for 8.3, you just need to update their SRC_URI for them as well. But there was something else that was wrong I didn't want to dig into, given that this is the innovation version which is going to change very fast either way. And according to your words, it already changed.

Best Regards,
Georgi
mauricev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that I have one server depending on perl connecting to mysql and so I do need mysql-connector-c after all, which means I am back at square one in dealing with the conflicting files. How have the previous mysql ebuilds dealt with this?

Code:
 BTW there are patches for 8.3

Where are they? I assume they're irrelevant now that 8.4 is out.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauricev wrote:
It turns out that I have one server depending on perl connecting to mysql and so I do need mysql-connector-c after all, which means I am back at square one in dealing with the conflicting files. How have the previous mysql ebuilds dealt with this?

Code:
 BTW there are patches for 8.3

Where are they? I assume they're irrelevant now that 8.4 is out.

Just adjust the version in the URI of the patches. You may as well replace it with ${PV}

p.s. the error I'm facing is related to C++20 and I'm not really up to fixing it:

Code:

/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-8.3.0/work/mysql/mysys/lf_hash.cc: In function ‘int initialize_bucket(LF_HASH*, std::atomic<LF_SLIST*>*, uint, LF_PINS*)’:
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-8.3.0/work/mysql/mysys/lf_hash.cc:851:37: error: ‘bit_floor’ is not a member of ‘std’; did you mean ‘bit_xor’?
  851 |   const uint parent = bucket ^ std::bit_floor(bucket);
      |                                     ^~~~~~~~~
      |                                     bit_xor

p.s.2 The source for 8.4.0 is 404. It seems not to be distributed the same way.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
p.s. the error I'm facing is related to C++20 and I'm not really up to fixing it:
Code:
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-8.3.0/work/mysql/mysys/lf_hash.cc: In function ‘int initialize_bucket(LF_HASH*, std::atomic<LF_SLIST*>*, uint, LF_PINS*)’:
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-8.3.0/work/mysql/mysys/lf_hash.cc:851:37: error: ‘bit_floor’ is not a member of ‘std’; did you mean ‘bit_xor’?
  851 |   const uint parent = bucket ^ std::bit_floor(bucket);
      |                                     ^~~~~~~~~
      |                                     bit_xor
std::bit_floor is new in C++20 (as you mentioned), and is provided by #include <numeric>. As I read cppreference: C++20 library features, both gcc and clang have supported this library feature for long enough that any currently supported compiler on Gentoo will support this, so the problem is likely just a missing #include.
mauricev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply changing

Code:
append-cxxflags -std=c++17

to

Code:
append-cxxflags -std=c++20

fixes it.

How can I trick portage into ignoring file collisions? For whatever reason, mysql-connector-c and mysql install a set of the same files.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauricev wrote:
How can I trick portage into ignoring file collisions? For whatever reason, mysql-connector-c and mysql install a set of the same files.

Only because you stripped out the patch(es) that prevent this sort of thing. They exist for a good reason.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you shared your ebuild, I would have helped you fix it as soon as the first replay and this discussion would have been avoided.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: