Does portage actually need to depend on app-arch/tar
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bstaletic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Does portage actually need to depend on app-arch/tar Reply with quote

I have been using app-arch/libarchive as the alternative of choice for app-alternatives/tar.
Today I have noticed that app-arch/tar is still installed, because of the portage dependency.

Does portage really need to depend on GNU tar, or can anything in app-alternatives/tar satisfy protage's needs (i.e. bsdtar from libarchive)?

For what it is worth, I prefer bsdtar because it can also deal with zip archives, so no need for zip/unzip as well.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can file a bug to suggest a change from app-arch/tar to app-alternatives/tar.

As for using libarchive, there is at least Bug 902215 with Portage tests and Bug 891393 for overall issues.
bstaletic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
Anyone can file a bug to suggest a change from app-arch/tar to app-alternatives/tar.

I know, I was rather thinking I could open a pull request if it were just an oversight.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'll still see if I can help with those bugs.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the test bug, while the --xattr-include may be redundant, it is potentially followed by an --xattr-exclude. While probably very few people will actually make use of that it cannot just be ignored.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: